The adventures of Jerry Lee Lewis

Re: U.S. Fan Clubs

Postby Maarten K. » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:27 pm

Tony Papard wrote: Kerrie's was probably the worst, little more than a sales catalog for tacky souvenirs, and letters supposedly from fans saying how absolutely wonderful Jerry Lee is.

I've got a stack of old FBM's from before I became a member and I remember that Kerrie sometimes used to contribute. I remember a piece about thanksgiving day at the ranch. I thought it was nice to read it and nice of her to make the effort.
I can't remember any other Lewis making a contribution to the FBM.
Which is a disgrace and lack of respect in my opinion. Apperantly they are too busy to even write half a page every two months about something JLL related.

By the way: I know Wim always sends a copy to the ranch and I've seen pictures of Jerry backstage reading a copy of FBM. What are his comments when he reads it? Positive, negative or nothing particular?
Always wondered about that.
Maarten K.

Postby martin bates » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:36 pm

[quote="Maarten K."]

I've got a stack of old FBM's from before I became a member and I remember that Kerrie sometimes used to contribute. I remember a piece about thanksgiving day at the ranch. I thought it was nice to read it and nice of her to make the effort.
[/quote]

I'm not sure about FBM before I joined in about 1980,but Jerry wrote to Lewis Scene in the 70's. Linda Gail wrote often for Lewis Scene & I thought FBM as well....but perhaps I'm mistaken. Of course Mary Jean wrote a piece in the previous FBM. Jerry's views on the mag. would be interesting...I'm sure he'd like the subject matter :lol:
Of course,if Jerry were to write a piece,everyone would say it's not him anyway.
Martin.
martin bates

Postby Piet » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:28 pm

About the Fireball Mail and Jerry Lee, he gets every magazine and I'm sure he will read them but there were times when Kerrie was in charge that she wasn't happy the way Wim printed it, he printed the good and bad reviews and that was not what Kerrie had in mind, she did however send Wim lots of stuff to print, she knew she needed his massive group of die-hard fans. (mostly European)
About the US fanclub in the early days, it's so easy to keep a fanclub running in the good times, especially in those days were there was almost no other information than the fanclub-magazine, so again, hads of for Wim dragging us trough those bad times and, untill now, with no information from the Killers home address.
I think Perk is right about the official web-site, it looks more like a store and there's the reason your not allowed to arrange something in the USA, the Tinntacks (thanks Peter) will never allow any competition, LOSERS.
Piet

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:00 pm

Maarten K. wrote:I've got a stack of old FBM's from before I became a member and I remember that Kerrie sometimes used to contribute. I remember a piece about thanksgiving day at the ranch. I thought it was nice to read it and nice of her to make the effort.
Which is a disgrace and lack of respect in my opinion. Apperantly they are too busy to even write half a page every two months about something JLL related.

Linda Gail wrote a regular page for the U.S. fanclub magazine when it was run by Rita Gillespie in the early 70s, & MaryJean also wrote something for FBM recently. But I agree, Kerrie has done more for the fans than all the other 'Lewises' put together!
peterchecksfield

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:05 pm

martin bates wrote:

I'm not sure about FBM before I joined in about 1980,but Jerry wrote to Lewis Scene in the 70's. Linda Gail wrote often for Lewis Scene & I thought FBM as well....but perhaps I'm mistaken. Of course Mary Jean wrote a piece in the previous FBM. Jerry's views on the mag. would be interesting...I'm sure he'd like the subject matter :lol:
Of course,if Jerry were to write a piece,everyone would say it's not him anyway.
Martin.

Are you sure about all this?

I can't recall Jerry ever writing for Lewis Scene, nor can I recall Linda Gail ever writing for any fanclub magazine except the early 70s U.S. mag.
peterchecksfield

Postby niek » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:29 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
martin bates wrote:

Martin.

I can't recall Jerry ever writing for Lewis Scene, nor can I recall Linda Gail ever writing for any fanclub magazine except the early 70s U.S. mag.

I have some copies of old fanclub magazines, I think from the fanclub that Kay run back than, and if I remember it right, there were some letters in it that were written by Jerry. Some by Myra as well.

Niek
niek

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:38 pm

niek wrote:I have some copies of old fanclub magazines, I think from the fanclub that Kay run back than, and if I remember it right, there were some letters in it that were written by Jerry. Some by Myra as well.

Niek

I wonder if Jerry really wrote them back then?

And welcome to the forum Niek! We're gradually getting all the coolest people on here. :D
peterchecksfield

Postby martin bates » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:14 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
martin bates wrote:

Martin.

:shock:
Goodness me, Pete ! of course I'm sure !
Jerry wrote a nice 'Thank you' letter after the fans had sent him a birthday gift......LGL used to write at different times in her career- when Malcolm Temple had the UK. club for a short while it was the JLL and LGL fan club & she'd write then. I recently told MJ about a piece Linda wrote announcing the birth of her wondeful daughter !!
As I said I'm not 100% sure about FBM, but there was a letter from someone in the Lewis Camp,at the time of his serious op. in 81/82. I thought it good that they sent a 'thank you' & mentioned some names......the likes of me & John Pearce in among a list of celebs. who had sent cards.
Martin.
martin bates

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:18 am

martin bates wrote:...there was a letter from someone in the Lewis Camp,at the time of his serious op. in 81/82. I thought it good that they sent a 'thank you' & mentioned some names......the likes of me & John Pearce in among a list of celebs. who had sent cards.
Martin.

This was from Myra (my name was also mentioned), & I recall her saying something along the lines of "Linda Gail only showed up at the hospital when she thought they were going to read the will"...

Phoebe seems to be the worst of all when it comes to writing to magazines or helping fans.
peterchecksfield

Re: The 50's Fanclub

Postby DanielWhite » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:48 pm

niek wrote:
I have some copies of old fanclub magazines, I think from the fanclub that Kay run back than, and if I remember it right, there were some letters in it that were written by Jerry. Some by Myra as well.

Niek

I've uploaded parts of one of Kay's 50's Fanclub mags. These were from the Spring '59 special, 'The Adventures Of JLL.' Most of it talks about Jerry returning to the U.K. in September/October for a '59 tour.

Thanks to Graham for sending me these!

Daniel

DanielWhite

Re: The 50's Fanclub

Postby niek » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:12 pm

DanielWhite wrote:
niek wrote:

Niek

I've uploaded parts of one of Kay's 50's Fanclub mags. These were from the Spring '59 special, 'The Adventures Of JLL.' Most of it talks about Jerry returning to the U.K. in September/October for a '59 tour.

Thanks to Graham for sending me these!

Daniel

Thanks Daniel and Graham, that was the stuff I was talking about. I made some scans myself as well when me and Maarten where at Graham's house but I couldn't find them right away.

Niek
niek

Re: 1958 U.K. Tour

Postby DanielWhite » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:13 pm

niek wrote:
Thanks Daniel and Graham, that was the stuff I was talking about. I made some scans myself as well when me and Maarten where at Graham's house but I couldn't find them right away.

Niek

Here's one from 'The Daily Telegraph' (May 28), which shows where Jerry was due to play on the '58 U.K. tour.

DanielWhite

1950s articles

Postby Tony Papard » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:27 am

Thanks Daniel, and Graham, for these very interesting articles.

I'd never heard about this planned return tour of the UK before in 1959, nor of the 6 planned films or TV appearances, including Jack Good's 'Oh Boy!'

What a pity this never happened.

It is clear from these articles how utterly shocked and mystified Jerry Lee was by the fuss over his marriage to Myra. It simply was very commonplace in the area where Jerry grew up at that time to marry very young indeed. All his family did so. Of course someone should have checked whether it was legal for Jerry to arrive in England with a wife of 13, but it seems Jerry was determined to bring Myra anyway.

I was myself 13 in 1958, but never heard or read any of this story in the media. I think I was more into the Beano and the Eagle comics at the time! And being hospitalized for much of 1958, I certainly couldn't have got to any of the shows even if I'd heard of Jerry Lee, which I hadn't.

Apart from that, my mother told me as soon as Bill Haley arrived on the scene that rock'n'roll was only for yobs, and she wouldn't have let me go anyway. TV didn't arrive in our home till rock'n'roll was on the way out, so I also missed all the '6.5 Special' and 'Oh Boy!' shows.

My pocket money would buy me 8 aniseed balls for one penny, or a Jamboree Bag for a few pence. It certainly wouldn't have stretched to the price of a ticket for a rock'n'roll show. And since we didn't have a gramophone or a record player, records were out of the question too.

A different world! Myra was married at 13, I was still very much a little child reading comics and watching cartoons and Flash Gordon at the Saturday Morning pictures. I never discovered sex for another 9 years, and rock'n'roll for another 6 years.

So Daniel and Graham have helped late developers like myself, as well as the younger generations, to catch up on the events of 1958/59.
Last edited by Tony Papard on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:03 am

That page from the Daily Telegraph is fascinating - not least for the story alongside that relating to Jerry Lee, about the 'escaped mental patient', an early reference to one of the most notorious thugs of the 20th century...Chilling stuff!
Andrew McRae

The 50's Fanclub

Postby DanielWhite » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:38 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:That page from the Daily Telegraph is fascinating - not least for the story alongside that relating to Jerry Lee, about the 'escaped mental patient', an early reference to one of the most notorious thugs of the 20th century...Chilling stuff!

More from 'The Adventures Of JLL':

Daniel
DanielWhite

Next

Return to Archive