Do you think Jerry Lee Lewis better retire or keep on playin

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:12 am

Tony Papard wrote:The trouble is he doesn't seem to enjoy doing live shows anymore. Far too often he's on autopilot, just picking the same old songs from the same old set list, and ending the show as soon as possible.

Now on the TV appearances and at MDQ show he was much better, putting some enthusiasm into the peformance, but this was only for one, two or three numbers.

I feel he should perhaps go into semi-retirement. The traveling seems to take its toll on him. The opportunities to make some money in the States seem endless to me. He has two famous cousins for a start. One, Mickey Gilley, is unable to play piano yet because of his temporary semi-paralysis due to the accident last year. Surely he'd welcome his cousin doing a residency at his Branson, Missouri theater?

Then there's cousin Jimmy who could give Jerry a spot on his telecast, record a Gospel album with him, or invite him to play at his Family Worship Center, maybe at a Camp Meeting.

He does the Beale Street Festival, so perhaps more shows in and around Memphis where he can sleep at home afterwards.

And recording CDs and DVDs, where he can hopefully learn new songs.

He can't retire even if he wanted to - that's clear. He hasn't saved any money and has lots of expenses, not least the Ranch with all its costly upkeep, plus any alimony paid to Kerrie, and of course the IRS, electricity bills, etc. But he can choose to pace himself and cut out these exhausting overseas tours.

I await with interest to see how he performs on the upcoming European tour, if it indeed goes ahead.

What you write here is complete nonsense from start to finish.
wolfgangguhl

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:26 am

wolfgangguhl wrote:
Tony Papard wrote:The trouble is he doesn't seem to enjoy doing live shows anymore. Far too often he's on autopilot, just picking the same old songs from the same old set list, and ending the show as soon as possible.

Now on the TV appearances and at MDQ show he was much better, putting some enthusiasm into the peformance, but this was only for one, two or three numbers.

I feel he should perhaps go into semi-retirement. The traveling seems to take its toll on him. The opportunities to make some money in the States seem endless to me. He has two famous cousins for a start. One, Mickey Gilley, is unable to play piano yet because of his temporary semi-paralysis due to the accident last year. Surely he'd welcome his cousin doing a residency at his Branson, Missouri theater?

Then there's cousin Jimmy who could give Jerry a spot on his telecast, record a Gospel album with him, or invite him to play at his Family Worship Center, maybe at a Camp Meeting.

He does the Beale Street Festival, so perhaps more shows in and around Memphis where he can sleep at home afterwards.

He can't retire even if he wanted to - that's clear. He hasn't saved any money and has lots of expenses, not least the Ranch with all its costly upkeep, plus any alimony paid to Kerrie, and of course the IRS, electricity bills, etc. But he can choose to pace himself and cut out these exhausting overseas tours.

I await with interest to see how he performs on the upcoming European tour, if it indeed goes ahead.

Maybe, maybe not. But overseas tours do seem to tire him out, and he needs rest days in between shows. I don't see why the cousins can't help each other out more. Not likely to happen I agree, but at some stage it may be better fans come to see Jerry perform in and around Memphis than him jet around the world.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:11 am

Doesn't seem like nonsense to me.
If it's good enough for me,
It should be good enough for you.
--Jerry Lee Lewis
jllWAfan1982

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:36 am

Tony Papard wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. But overseas tours do seem to tire him out, and he needs rest days in between shows. I don't see why the cousins can't help each other out more. Not likely to happen I agree, but at some stage it may be better fans come to see Jerry perform in and around Memphis than him jet around the world.

Ok, here is why I think it is nonsense:

1. Why should he retire from touring Europe? It is here where he is considered a living legend, where he is admired, where he draws the big crowds. His albums sell better in the US these days, but he cannot even draw 800 people to a show in a place like New York City. Pathetic!
2. What makes you believe that "the traveling seems to take its toll on him"? In recent years he always came out of a European Tour stronger! And he does not travel like the average fan does, but he has got a lot of space on the airplanes and luxurious limousines, has presidential suites booked for him in European hotels, does not have to take care of any travel arrangements etc. He just has to walk into the plane, take a nap and voila he has arrived in Europe.
3. Surely a "great" (ironie!) idea to have him appear with Jimmy, who is known worldwide for being a paedophile and hypocrit. Sure would help to raise Jerry's profile NOT!
4. He sounds as if he has a lot more fun playing his shows than he had recording MOM.
5. He sleeps at home after almost all shows in the US these days. It is the exception of him staying in a hotel, he usually takes a flight back home right after the show (so does Elton John by the way).
6. I am amazed how well you are informed about Jerry's financial status! Let us know figures then! So it is "clear" according to you that he cannot retire. In a very recent interview he made "clear" that he could have retired a long time ago. Also, you are contradicting yourself. If he needs that much money that bad as you say he could not afford to stop doing tours overseas as that is were he makes 80 % of his income each year.
7. What is all this rambling on about the European Tour not going ahead? There is no sign it won't.
wolfgangguhl

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:17 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:
Ok, here is why I think it is nonsense:

1. Why should he retire from touring Europe? It is here where he is considered a living legend, where he is admired, where he draws the big crowds. His albums sell better in the US these days, but he cannot even draw 800 people to a show in a place like New York City. Pathetic!
2. What makes you believe that "the traveling seems to take its toll on him"? In recent years he always came out of a European Tour stronger! And he does not travel like the average fan does, but he has got a lot of space on the airplanes and luxurious limousines, has presidential suites booked for him in European hotels, does not have to take care of any travel arrangements etc. He just has to walk into the plane, take a nap and voila he has arrived in Europe.
3. Surely a "great" (ironie!) idea to have him appear with Jimmy, who is known worldwide for being a paedophile and hypocrit. Sure would help to raise Jerry's profile NOT!
4. He sounds as if he has a lot more fun playing his shows than he had recording MOM.
5. He sleeps at home after almost all shows in the US these days. It is the exception of him staying in a hotel, he usually takes a flight back home right after the show (so does Elton John by the way).
6. I am amazed how well you are informed about Jerry's financial status! Let us know figures then! So it is "clear" according to you that he cannot retire. In a very recent interview he made "clear" that he could have retired a long time ago. Also, you are contradicting yourself. If he needs that much money that bad as you say he could not afford to stop doing tours overseas as that is were he makes 80 % of his income each year.
7. What is all this rambling on about the European Tour not going ahead? There is no sign it won't.

I just hope you're right about the European Tours and the overseas traveling not tiring him out too much. That's just the impression I've got from some, not all, the recent tours. It's certainly true that Europeans appreciate and support his concerts more than Americans, and this is true of a lot of older artists. The late Ronnie Dawson had a tiny crowd around his stage at a New Orleans Jazz Festival in the late 1990s - and they were nearly all Europeans, hardly any Americans.

But if he ever does feel the need to cut down on touring abroad, then Europeans could travel to Memphis area to see him. That's what I meant. If he was doing shows in that area on a regular basis, we could plan holidays around them. We already have the Beale Street festivals which he does every year.

I don't get the impression he enjoys playing live shows like he used to, but hope I'm wrong. Just seems he's on auto-pilot quite often, unwilling to try out many different songs not in his usual repetroire, and his shows rarely last an hour or more nowadays. However I'd still go to see him in concert and enjoy the show. 100 Club was the best I've seen recently because of the varied song selection and the length of the show (about an hour). Forum and Paris in 2008 were not quite as good, but I still enjoyed them.

I've always thought the extended Lewis family should work together more. OK, Jimmy had a scandal involving a prostitute and according to her there were some very unsavory questions he raised about her daughter. This was a long time ago, and in his home state at least Jimmy still has a following. But I'm not pressing this point, though I've always thought a gospel album with Jimmy would sell well among Jimmy's following, not necessarily worldwide. Jimmy seems to do quite well financially with his records, etc. anyway. Mickey Gilley jokes about it all being tax free.

I definitely think Jerry should play Mickey's Branson theater, if only for one or two shows. I think Mickey's fans would appreciate it.

As to Jerry's finances, well he has said himself he has to do tours, etc. to pay the light bill or if he wants a new car or something. This is straight from the horse's mouth so to speak. Also I saw the state of the Ranch in 2002 and was not impressed. Recently it was suggested they spend some money refurbishing the swimming pool I believe, to give Jerry some exercise. Hopefully his finances have improved since the success of LMS and now MOM, and the recent European tours.

As to the October/November tour, some fans have expressed the view it might not go ahead. I think due to Jerry's recent illness and shows keep being switched to other towns/venues. However if Jerry's health holds up we all hope it will go ahead, and I heard a rumor of another London show by a different promoter. Let's hope it goes ahead.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:33 pm

I pretty much agree with Wolfie on most of this.

As for him working with family members, I wouldn't mind that too (though perhaps NOT Jimmy!), but if Jerry really wanted to do that then I think he would've years ago. Even Linda Gail hasn't done a live duet with Jerry in 14 years (in a show organised by Kerrie by the way, which also featured a shambolic duet with Phoebe!), & haven't been in the studio together in 38 years.
peterchecksfield

Postby niek81 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:17 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:I pretty much agree with Wolfie on most of this.

As for him working with family members, I wouldn't mind that too (though perhaps NOT Jimmy!), but if Jerry really wanted to do that then I think he would've years ago. Even Linda Gail hasn't done a live duet with Jerry in 14 years (in a show organised by Kerrie by the way, which also featured a shambolic duet with Phoebe!), & haven't been in the studio together in 38 years.

I thought they did What'd I Say together at the 2008 European tour..?
niek81

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:19 pm

niek81 wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:I pretty much agree with Wolfie on most of this.

I thought they did What'd I Say together at the 2008 European tour..?

That wasn't a duet; she just did backing vocals with Kenny. Otherwise we could call pretty much every song on the 1977 European tour "duets"...
peterchecksfield

Postby Dave McKee » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:40 am

Just seen the Pomona clip and listened to the NPR radio program, and I think the old boy's got a few years left in him yet!
Dave McKee

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:43 am

What is this Kerrie show you speak of, Peter?

I agree with Tony mostly. I don't think he could retire financially. With all his tax problems he probably had NOTHING saved. And with his not having song royalties coming in, not having written very many songs (no publishing to collect on, unlike say with Elton John or Michael Jackson who would reap massive amounts of money), I doubt he has much of any other money coming in--some from merchandise or licensing. I think for the most part touring probably is where his money comes from. That and the newer albums.

However, it is important to observe artists don't seem to make a lot of money on albums these days. I doubt if he makes a large amount of money off of the albums. I am sure it would be a lot to us, but compared to his touring, it is probably very small in comparison. Just my speculation, but I doubt I am wrong.

Don't think working with families members (any of them) would raise his profile or draw any interest whatsoever in the United States. Don't know about Europe. Doubt even Mickey Gilley would help. As a reminder, Gilley has not had a Top 40 US hit since 1980, and has not had a country hit since 1989. Doesn't seem like he has any charting power!
If it's good enough for me,
It should be good enough for you.
--Jerry Lee Lewis
jllWAfan1982

Postby bluesinc. » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:53 am

I don´t belive that he could live from the albums he made the last years Youngblood, Lastmanstanding, Meanoldman. You earn money when you´re the author of a song, just the singer/player doesn´t make you THAT money. I think that was also a reason for more than the average amount of self penned songs on the TimeLife 3 CD set. where many obscure songs written by Jerry were included (i really belive that). He earns money when he´s appearing (interviews, concerts, birthday parties, etc.) he could get a bit more money if he lets his concerts be broadcast like a lot of where in the 80ies i think.
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:15 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:What is this Kerrie show you speak of, Peter?

http://www.topfreeforum.com/jerryleelew ... ryleelewis
peterchecksfield

Re: Do you think Jerry Lee Lewis better retire or keep on pl

Postby fede4avar » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:15 pm

I opened this thread 3 years ago, and today it is as if Jerry had retired, because now you almost never performs in concert....a real shame.
fede4avar

Postby lucasjenke » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:29 pm

fede4avar wrote:I opened this thread 3 years ago, and today it is as if Jerry had retired, because now you almost never performs in concert....a real shame.

I´m no quite sure wether I wrote him off already or am expecting a surprise. As it looked that Jerry seems to be enjoying his (sadly) very few shows he is doing I sort of think he will surprise us again with more shows in the future. Also to me he looks and sounds great compared to most of his shows in the last 8 years.
I could be mistaken but it seems to me that since his marriage things went downhill when it comes to the number of shows he played. That makes me think Jerry enjoys his private life more.
I think that he got married again was great for himself and his shape but a bad thing for all of us fans.
I´m not blaiming everyone for him doing no shows, except of Jerry Lee Lewis so it is up to him.

To make a long story short : Personally , I think he SHOULD Keep on playing as he is still a great musician and is in his best shape in years. But if he will keep on doing such few shows his career will soon be ended anyway as I´m sure that the non harcore fan would not travel to a show around Memphis for seeing Jerry playing 40 Minute Shows. And as Jerry draws in a much bigger crowd in Europe than he does in the States sooner or later I think he´ll HAVE to tour to pay the life he´s been living.

All in all I feel well at not expecting anything from Jerry Lee Lewis and will see what the future brings.

Have a nice Sunday y´all

Lucas
lucasjenke

Postby PeterC » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:33 pm

We've probably got a new album coming out this year, so he's hardly retired. Given the choice, I'd much rather he releases a new album every couple of years and very rarely performs than tours more but doesn't release new recordings (even though I wasn't over-impressed by 'Mean Old Man'). Johnny Cash had the right idea.
PeterC

PreviousNext

Return to Archive