Do you think Jerry Lee Lewis better retire or keep on playin

Postby bailbath » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:05 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
There are many boxing fans who've never seen Mohammed Ali. Perhaps he should go out there too. After all, seeing a "living legend" seems to be enough for some people, regardless of how good or bad they are.

Not really a fair comparison as Mohammed is really ill with parkinsons and besides it would kill him if he went back in the ring.
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Yes, I live in a part of the world where Jerry almost never comes to play. I don't have money to go fly across the country (several hundred $$) or to fly to Europe! I have only seen him twice, and I would be thrilled if he came to my area, and I could hear him perform 38 minutes of eight songs. That is about eight minutes longer than when I first saw him in 2002!

It's nice that some fans have been fans for 30 years or have seen him dozens of times, but that isn't everyone. Wish I could be so lucky.
If it's good enough for me,
It should be good enough for you.
--Jerry Lee Lewis
jllWAfan1982

Postby thrund » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:42 pm

jllWAfan1982 wrote:Yes, I live in a part of the world where Jerry almost never comes to play. I don't have money to go fly across the country (several hundred $$) or to fly to Europe! I have only seen him twice, and I would be thrilled if he came to my area, and I could hear him perform 38 minutes of eight songs. That is about eight minutes longer than when I first saw him in 2002!

It's nice that some fans have been fans for 30 years or have seen him dozens of times, but that isn't everyone. Wish I could be so lucky.

Which world do you mean, Mars world or Earth world?

Thomas
thrund

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:49 pm

Earth.
--Jerry Lee Lewis
jllWAfan1982

Postby thrund » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:51 pm

jllWAfan1982 wrote:Earth.

Ok, thank you Sir.
thrund

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:56 pm

My pleasure...
--Jerry Lee Lewis
jllWAfan1982

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:31 am

Could this be the answer to Jerry's problems?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11284180
peterchecksfield

Re: Do you think Jerry Lee Lewis better retire or keep on pl

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:15 am

fede4avar wrote:Many people think Jerry should retire, so I open this tread to hear your opinion. I hope he'll keep on doing concert because he's still a great artist and he still moves me
:wink:

In the words of Doucette... "Mama let that boy, play some rock n' roll!!"
Tim in St. Louis

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:36 am

Well it would help. I think there are lots of things you can do to help older people. Jerry seems to be stuck on older TV already. You have to give them challenges, not impossible ones. He has been challenging himself by recording scores of new songs in the last decade. We don't really know the day to day details of his private life though so it is hard to say though if certain things would help. Maybe he IS already very independent at home. We just don't know what the home life is and the private details of his existence.

At least we know that Phoebe doesn't "coodle" him or whatever it was she from that interview. I would hate for someone do dote on him like he was an invalid. She knows better.

He is performing good concerts at his age. That is a lot better than many elderly people. They may not be as good as when he was younger, but he is almost 75 f---ing years old, so no sh-t. lol. It may be the same songs mostly, but as has been said before, most people don't go see him repeatedly, and for what it is, it is a good show!
--Jerry Lee Lewis
jllWAfan1982

Postby Henry » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:05 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:
At least we know that Phoebe doesn't "coodle" him or whatever it was she from that interview. I would hate for someone do dote on him like he was an invalid. She knows better.

Especcially now when she seems to have got herself her own man 8)
Henry

Postby Albert » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:24 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Henry wrote:I've never understood what's the matter with Peter,a great guy with his knowledge and in real life but maybe he is sick.

Maybe, but I've never f*cked my cousin, disowned my kids, beat my wives or shot my friends as far as I can recall... :wink:

spare us the details whenever you think you can recall
Albert

Postby Albert » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:28 pm

Rocky wrote:I've always said...there are fans and then there are fanatics

you forgot to mention there's a third category, the compulsive complainers :wink:
Albert

Postby Logan » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:38 pm

anyone have any idea on why his hands shake off & on?
Logan

Postby jcharris1976 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:40 pm

Being a fellow musician and plus having a family that is all based around playing and singing, my grandpa played and sang at the bars at 80 years old and it was showing in his vocal and playing some but he told me that once music and playing in front of people is in your blood it is hard to stop doing it. The smiles and adoration is like a drug and when you walk into a place and they run to you and ask "are you playing tonight" is one heck of a feeling... Johnny cash recorded until literally he died although he couldnt perform live anymore. I play at least 4 times a week and couldn't see myself doing anything else and I hope I die on stage (not any time soon as im only 34 lol). Jerry is still playing and recording and that is a feat. at this point - it's not about the music more than seeing a living legend doing what he loves. Jerry from the mid to late 70's til now has had hit or miss tracks on every album and alot of the problem was production values or he would get off touring and right into a studio and sometimes vocally and physically worn out. I believe (I could be wrong) that before Jerry started the LMS sessions , he had some time off and in several interviews when asked what prompted him to release LMS he said "I was talked into it and knew that my voice was strong and my voice was in shape". So I believe that did factor into the vocal success of the album even if there mightve been tweaks.. My answer to retirement is ----- For a musician to retire is like telling them that the world is going to end tomorrow and a musician will play until the sun goes out. It's just too hard to stop.
I believe that if Jerry does another album that he should take some time off,relax and get to some exercise and get in the complete mind set and I believe that he could still belt out one heck of a rock n roll album.
jcharris1976

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:23 am

The trouble is he doesn't seem to enjoy doing live shows anymore. Far too often he's on autopilot, just picking the same old songs from the same old set list, and ending the show as soon as possible.

Now on the TV appearances and at MDQ show he was much better, putting some enthusiasm into the peformance, but this was only for one, two or three numbers.

I feel he should perhaps go into semi-retirement. The traveling seems to take its toll on him. The opportunities to make some money in the States seem endless to me. He has two famous cousins for a start. One, Mickey Gilley, is unable to play piano yet because of his temporary semi-paralysis due to the accident last year. Surely he'd welcome his cousin doing a residency at his Branson, Missouri theater?

Then there's cousin Jimmy who could give Jerry a spot on his telecast, record a Gospel album with him, or invite him to play at his Family Worship Center, maybe at a Camp Meeting.

He does the Beale Street Festival, so perhaps more shows in and around Memphis where he can sleep at home afterwards.

And recording CDs and DVDs, where he can hopefully learn new songs.

He can't retire even if he wanted to - that's clear. He hasn't saved any money and has lots of expenses, not least the Ranch with all its costly upkeep, plus any alimony paid to Kerrie, and of course the IRS, electricity bills, etc. But he can choose to pace himself and cut out these exhausting overseas tours.

I await with interest to see how he performs on the upcoming European tour, if it indeed goes ahead.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

PreviousNext

Return to Archive