Jerry Lee with Celebrities

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:46 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:I've always thought the last time they met was '69. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if their paths never crossed from '57 - '69.

Jerry has often told the story about how Elvis overtook him in a car & then stopped in front of him saying something like "I'm gonna sue you for Mean Woman Blues!", so that must've been either late '57 or '58. But if they really last met in 1969, why on earth would Elvis suddenly call him up in '76 (as Jerry claims)? And the way Jerry talks it's as if they were always close buddies rather than just met once in the last 20 years of Elvis' life (though he could be exaggerating of course).
peterchecksfield

Postby ChrisdeB » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:13 pm

ChrisdeB

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:16 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Richard Harvey wrote: But if they really last met in 1969, why on earth would Elvis suddenly call him up in '76 (as Jerry claims)? And the way Jerry talks it's as if they were always close buddies rather than just met once in the last 20 years of Elvis' life (though he could be exaggerating of course).

We can only guess.

I know the '56 and '57 meetings happened. There were possibly more in the fifties, Elvis stopped by Sun a lot, right up to his Army stint. There may even be an element of truth in the "take it Jarry, take it all" bit in the GBOF movie. Remember us talking about the Jerry Lee Sun session when he did Elvis tunes? I think I worked out the session was just after it was announced Elvis was being drafted.

I know the '69 meeting did happen, I've even asked Kenny about it. But as for Jerry Lee's 'me and Elvis' tales. . weeeellll. Didn't he also say they drove around Memphis 'buck naked' on motorbikes?. I don't know if Elvis phoned Jerry Lee in '76 or not, but from what I've read and people I've talked to (including Bill Burke, who I have dinner with every time I visit Memphis, he wrote for the Memphis Press Schimitar and knew Jerry and Elvis back then), I'd say it's very unlikely Elvis Presley would phone Jerry Lee Lewis in 1976 and invite him to Graceland.

Marty Lacker describes Jerry Lee as a wild card. He said Elvis wasn't comfortable in his company. I can well imagine this. Elvis liked 'yes men'. Not plain speakers!

Elvis associate Sonny West was there in '69 by the way. He had a chat to my mate Mark about it whilst in the UK last month. He hadn't got much good to say about 'ol Jerry Lee! He said he was loud and obnoxious at the Vegas 'after party' and they tried to get him out the room. That's when he came out with the "I wouldn't let some old man tell me what to do" line about Elvis' manager.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:16 pm

Jerry Lee was in Graceland at least once during the 60s and they reportedley jammed on the song "Come what may". Have to ask my source if he can give me more insight. There's also a story out there of the two of them riding motorcycle naked. And I believe Linda Gail (or Frankie Jean) still has a check written out for 100 or 200 $ signed by Elvis, but I'm not sure about that.

The '75 meeting was in Vegas and Jerry told Elvis that he would only be the Colonel's marionette, but Elvis asked him how it came that he played the big showroom while Jerry only was in the Lobby if he was that dumb. Something like that.

Oh and I read in Myra's book I believe that Elvis came by while Jerry was working on "Franke & Johnnie" at Sun.

Re: the picture of Jerry, Dion and JW. I wonder on which terms Jerry and JW are nowadays.
Rocker

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:22 pm

Rocker wrote:The '75 meeting was in Vegas and Jerry told Elvis that he would only be the Colonel's marionette, but Elvis asked him how it came that he played the big showroom while Jerry only was in the Lobby if he was that dumb. Something like that.

I think the '75 meeting is just Peter thinking of the '57 meeting I was talking about on the Yahoo Forum a while back- he got the right date in the wrong order perhaps?
I've never heard of a '75 meeting. The 'Colonel's puppet' thing was 1969 I'd say.
Elvis was even more 'protected' in '75. In '69 he mixed with sitloads of stars. Even Sam Phillips met up with him for the first time since the fifties if I recall.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:31 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:
Rocker wrote:The '75 meeting was in Vegas and Jerry told Elvis that he would only be the Colonel's marionette, but Elvis asked him how it came that he played the big showroom while Jerry only was in the Lobby if he was that dumb. Something like that.

I think the '75 meeting is just Peter thinking of the '57 meeting I was talking about on the Yahoo Forum a while back- he got the right date in the wrong order perhaps?
I've never heard of a '75 meeting. The 'Colonel's puppet' thing was 1969 I'd say.
Elvis was even more 'protected' in '75. In '69 he mixed with sitloads of stars. Even Sam Phillips met up with him for the first time since the fifties if I recall.

Well, for his '69 opening concert all of the audience were invited, Jerry Lee too (he mentions going there "by invitation" during the Toronto-concert in '69). Sam Phillips was even with Elvis in his dressing room before the show.
I heard the story as being from '75. You're right that Elvis was protected very much back then but other stars, especially friends, could always find a way to get through to him (and this is the Killer, if he wants to get through, there's no way of stopping him :wink: ). Cash met him in Vegas too, but I don't remember the year.
Rocker

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:32 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:Elvis associate Sonny West was there in '69 by the way. He had a chat to my mate Mark about it whilst in the UK last month. He hadn't got much good to say about 'ol Jerry Lee!

I should add, Mark told me Sonny West did say something along the lines of "Jerry Lee is an amazing talent. . but as a person. . "

I'll try and get Mark to write up a report on here when he gets back from holiday. :)
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:37 pm

Rocker wrote:I heard the story as being from '75. .

Well it could be possible then. Perhaps there were two Vegas meetings? '69 and '75?

Elvis was in Vegas mid March to early April, and December in 1975. His August stint was cancelled that year. Was Jerry playing the lounge at the Hilton then?
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:41 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:
Richard Harvey wrote:Elvis associate Sonny West was there in '69 by the way. He had a chat to my mate Mark about it whilst in the UK last month. He hadn't got much good to say about 'ol Jerry Lee!

I should add, Mark told me Sonny West did say something along the lines of "Jerry Lee is an amazing talent. . but as a person. . "

I'll try and get Mark to write up a report on here when he gets back from holiday. :)

Sonny hadn't much good to say about Elvis, when he was fired in '76 either, so...

Well it could be possible then. Perhaps there were two Vegas meetings? '69 and '75?

Elvis was in Vegas mid March to early April, and December in 1975. His August stint was cancelled that year. Was Jerry playing the lounge at the Hilton then?

I don't know. I normally don't care about those kind of dates and at the moment am more of a JLL-newbie when it's about his biography. I only heard the '75 thing. I try to find the link from where I got that from.
Rocker

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:58 pm

Rocker wrote:Sonny hadn't much good to say about Elvis, when he was fired in '76 either, so...

Ha! You're dang right there!

And welcome to the Forum :D :D :D

I think you'll like it here!
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:02 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:

And welcome to the Forum :D :D :D

I think you'll like it here!

Thank you. I already do !

In this article they talk about Jerry and Elvis meeting in Vegas in '75 :

http://www.kyleesplin.com/jllsb/JLLSBDIR/pages/73page.htm

Here's the quote:

He came upon Elvis in Las Vegas and said "You don't know what you're doin'. You're just Col.Parker's puppet." "Well," said Elvis "If I'm so dumb and you're so smart, how is it that I'm playin' the main room and you're playin' the lounge?"

As you'll see, they mentioned the year before in that article.
Rocker

Postby W_Skinner » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:40 pm

Very interesting stuff, that 'relationship' between Jerry and Elvis. I always enjoy reading something about it.
Well, actually I don't know how reliable books like "Hellfire" or "Killer" are compared to various fan articles.
Some people say some of them are garnished with their writer's interpretation rather than actual facts.
I mean for example the "gun-incident" :wink: at Graceland's doors gets described differently in different articles.

I think it's time for a big and new biography compiled by JLL himself laced with rare photos and information about his recording sessions.

Here's a funny anecdote:
In 1971 Elvis recorded 'Whole lotta shaking goin on' for his 'I'm 10000 years old'-album and right at the end Elvis shouts "Take it out Jerry, take it out".
I always thought this was a kind of dig at JLL, but now I think he probably just meant his drummer.... :lol:
So Long, W.Skinner
have a look at my own R'n'R band: www.dekrauts.rocken.de
W_Skinner

Postby Tumppi » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:57 pm

W_Skinner wrote:Here's a funny anecdote:
In 1971 Elvis recorded 'Whole lotta shaking goin on' for his 'I'm 10000 years old'-album and right at the end Elvis shouts "Take it out Jerry, take it out".
I always thought this was a kind of dig at JLL, but now I think he probably just meant his drummer.... :lol:

Probably to bass player Jerry Scheff.
Tumppi

Postby Richard Harvey » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:03 am

Rocker wrote:As you'll see, they mentioned the year before in that article.

That's from 'Hellfire' isn't it?

Well there then I dunno. Jerry certainly saw Elvis in '69, he talks about it in Toronto, and we have audio of Elvis introducing him. I've always assumed the famous 'you're the colonel's puppet' was from that time. I'll admit Toches might know more than me, but if I were to bet my week's wages I'd still say there was no '75 meet, and Toshes it taking liberties with the chronology.
But I could be wrong. In fact, I'd like to think they did meet up in '75.

It wasn't untill recent years we learnt Elvis attended a poorly attended Chuch Berry show in Vegas in the seventies. Chuck recognised Elvis from the stage and a great time was had by all - I think this was in the recent Jerry Schilling book.
And I bloody met Jerry Schilling this year, but unfortunatly it was early hours after a full on night of us partying on Beale. So no great interview there then!

*hic*
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Rocker » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:09 am

Tumppi wrote:
W_Skinner wrote:Here's a funny anecdote:

Probably to bass player Jerry Scheff.

Jerry Carrigan was on drums for that session, which was in 1970 not '71 if I rememebr correctly. But it doesn't sound clearly like "Jerry" imo. Could be, but it could also be something else.

Well there then I dunno. Jerry certainly saw Elvis in '69, he talks about it in Toronto, and we have audio of Elvis introducing him.

Well, I don't. On which "CD" is that to be found ? And do you know if the that Chuck Berry show with Elvis in the audience is out there?

That's from 'Hellfire' isn't it?

I really can't rememebr reading this in the book. But I'd only read it once (a few years ago) and then lend it to a friend of mine who still has it. Might be from that book.
Rocker

PreviousNext

Return to Archive