The Greatest Covers of JLL Songs



The Greatest Covers of JLL Songs

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:06 pm

We know that JLL has written only very few songs, so that limits the scope to this question. But I was listening to Cliff do "High School Confidential," and I was wondering, what are other great covers of JLL written songs that I should be aware of, and which are perhaps worth searching out?
If it's good enough for me,
It should be good enough for you.
--Jerry Lee Lewis
jllWAfan1982

 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Pluto

Re: The Greatest Covers of JLL Songs

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:10 pm

jllWAfan1982 wrote:We know that JLL has written only very few songs, so that limits the scope to this question. But I was listening to Cliff do "High School Confidential," and I was wondering, what are other great covers of JLL written songs that I should be aware of, and which are perhaps worth searching out?


Personally I don't think that one's worth seeking out as it's only a rough TV recording...

Anyway, 'Lincoln Limousine' by Kenneth Swanstrom is one that springs to mind.

Perhaps you should expand the question to include songs written specifically with JLL in mind? That way we can include things like 'When I Get Paid' by Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers & 'Fools Like Me' by The Merseybeats.
peterchecksfield

 

Re: The Greatest Covers of JLL Songs

Postby Andrew McRae » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:17 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
jllWAfan1982 wrote:We know that JLL has written only very few songs, so that limits the scope to this question. But I was listening to Cliff do "High School Confidential," and I was wondering, what are other great covers of JLL written songs that I should be aware of, and which are perhaps worth searching out?


Personally I don't think that one's worth seeking out as it's only a rough TV recording...

Anyway, 'Lincoln Limousine' by Kenneth Swanstrom is one that springs to mind.

Perhaps you should expand the question to include songs written specifically with JLL in mind? That way we can include things like 'When I Get Paid' by Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers & 'Fools Like Me' by The Merseybeats.


And, perhaps rather more memorably, "What's Made Milwaukee Famous" by Rod Stewart?...
Andrew McRae

User avatar
 
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Re: The Greatest Covers of JLL Songs

Postby martin bates » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:35 pm

jllWAfan1982 wrote:We know that JLL has written only very few songs, so that limits the scope to this question. But I was listening to Cliff do "High School Confidential," and I was wondering, what are other great covers of JLL written songs that I should be aware of, and which are perhaps worth searching out?


I remember reading that Hank Williams Jr had recorded 'What A Heck Of A Mess'....but I've never heard it.

Martin.
martin bates

 
Posts: 1116
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:13 pm

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:54 am

I heard High School Confidential on a Cliff Richard 4 disc box set called Rare 'n' Rockin'--I've no idea if it is official or bootleg. Some of the songs sound studio and others sound live, though the audience was so hysterical I wondered if it was a studio faked audience rather than a real one. At any rate, I thought Cliff's High School Confidential was pretty good, though not anywhere in the same league as JLL.
If it's good enough for me,
It should be good enough for you.
--Jerry Lee Lewis
jllWAfan1982

 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby jarireinikka » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:10 am

The Blasters:High School confidential
X:Breathless
Tom Jones:Breathless
jarireinikka

 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:12 am
Location: tuusula,finland

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:39 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:I heard High School Confidential on a Cliff Richard 4 disc box set called Rare 'n' Rockin'--I've no idea if it is official or bootleg. Some of the songs sound studio and others sound live, though the audience was so hysterical I wondered if it was a studio faked audience rather than a real one. At any rate, I thought Cliff's High School Confidential was pretty good, though not anywhere in the same league as JLL.


It's from the 'Oh Boy!' TV show & yes it's been released officially (& yes the audience were real; The Beatles weren't the first to have hysterical female audiences nor were they the last!).

I love Cliff's hit version of 'It'll Be Me', & his version of 'Down The Line' is pretty good too.

As for "Jerry Lee Lewis songs", if the artist who covers these songs learnt them via JLL then they're "JLL songs" as far as I'm concerned, just like 'Money' & 'Roll Over Beethoven' are Beatles songs to many.
peterchecksfield

 

Postby Andrew McRae » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:39 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
jllWAfan1982 wrote:I heard High School Confidential on a Cliff Richard 4 disc box set called Rare 'n' Rockin'--I've no idea if it is official or bootleg. Some of the songs sound studio and others sound live, though the audience was so hysterical I wondered if it was a studio faked audience rather than a real one. At any rate, I thought Cliff's High School Confidential was pretty good, though not anywhere in the same league as JLL.


It's from the 'Oh Boy!' TV show & yes it's been released officially (& yes the audience were real; The Beatles weren't the first to have hysterical female audiences nor were they the last!).

I love Cliff's hit version of 'It'll Be Me', & his version of 'Down The Line' is pretty good too.

As for "Jerry Lee Lewis songs", if the artist who covers these songs learnt them via JLL then they're "JLL songs" as far as I'm concerned, just like 'Money' & 'Roll Over Beethoven' are Beatles songs to many.


That being the case here are three good reasons why this thread should be banned and deleted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-bMkCxbSxk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pKGI-YJEPY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI7OXPyyh4Y

Though here is an honourable exception..!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QL_hCuK2u4

:lol:
Andrew McRae

User avatar
 
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:55 pm

I may have mentioned this in another thread, but Tom Jones' version of "Green, Green Grass" is so blantantly taken from JLL that he even uses the same pausing and emphasis in his recitation. I had never noticed before, but heard it again recently and was surprised.

BTW, Hank Jr. does a very good version of Whole Lotta Shakin, including playing the piana.
Tim in St. Louis

 
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:05 am

Postby martin bates » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:00 pm

Tim in St. Louis wrote:I may have mentioned this in another thread, but Tom Jones' version of "Green, Green Grass" is so blantantly taken from JLL that he even uses the same pausing and emphasis in his recitation. I had never noticed before, but heard it again recently and was surprised.

BTW, Hank Jr. does a very good version of Whole Lotta Shakin, including playing the piana.


as I said in the other thread recently, TJ at least always gives praise & credit to Jerry.Surely another challenger for the most blatant copy/cover is no less than Roy Orbison and Mean Woman Blues.

Martin
martin bates

 
Posts: 1116
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:13 pm

Postby Joe » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:56 pm

I've got to second the Blasters' version of High School Confidential. It smokes.
Joe

 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:16 am

Postby Joe » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:00 pm

Oh and as I mention in the book, the Swingin' Neckbreakers' version of This Must Be the Place is worth seeking out. Rockin' stuff.
Joe

 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:16 am

Postby Tommy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:09 pm

"Don't look at the clouds of tomorrow through the sunshine of today!"

Mick Jagger
Tommy

 
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: Sweden

Postby Bobby McGee » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:35 pm



This is "American Trilogy" from Greensboro/NC (Coliseum), April 14, 1972...

In this show he also did a great version of "Polk Salad Annie" (cool bass solo by Jerry Scheff) and a totally messed version of "Burning Love". 8)
Bobby McGee

 
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Germany

Postby jayhawks » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:45 am

I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

User avatar
 
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:45 am


Return to Archive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron