New Ways for JLL to Make $$$$

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:15 pm

I think it would be hard to sell mixing desk material that already circulates, unless it is in noticeably better quality. They would need "new"stuff.
jllWAfan1982

Re: New Ways for JLL to Make $$$$

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:15 pm

Bobby McGee wrote:As for radio broadcast - I think there must be more material that hasn´t surfaced so far, right?

Well if it hasn't surfaced then I don't know for sure that it even exists, but certainly Jerry's done radio broadcasts in the 60s & 70s where I know of know surviving tapes.
peterchecksfield

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:17 pm

jllWAfan1982 wrote:I think it would be hard to sell mixing desk material that already circulates, unless it is in noticeably better quality. They would need "new"stuff.

Not at all. Most of the stuff that circulates amongst fans isn't heard by many people, but I'm sure there's plenty of more casual fans who don't belong to forums etc but would gladly pay a small fee to download them after hearing samples, and many die-hard fans would buy anything if it's released on official CDs even if they already own the recordings on bootlegs.
peterchecksfield

Postby Bobby McGee » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:09 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Bobby McGee wrote:As for radio broadcast - I think there must be more material that hasn´t surfaced so far, right?

Well if it hasn't surfaced then I don't know for sure that it even exists, but certainly Jerry's done radio broadcasts in the 60s & 70s where I know of know surviving tapes.

At least they must be existing somewhere in the vaults of the radio stations that the concerts were broadcast by.
:?: :roll:
Bobby McGee

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:40 am

Bobby McGee wrote:
At least they must be existing somewhere in the vaults of the radio stations that the concerts were broadcast by.
:?: :roll:

Not necessarily. If they were broadcast 'live' then they were never taped by radio stations in the first place (this is also a problem with early 'live' TV broadcasts).

Also many radio stations / companies didn't bother keeping their tapes. Even the BBC scrapped their recordings of 'Saturday Club' & 'Top Gear' etc in the 60s once they'd broadcast the shows.
peterchecksfield

Postby bluesinc. » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:45 am

I´d like to meet him. Ask for an autograph and may shake his hand, look in his eyes. But more, I don´t know what to ask, maybe why he did very few records over the past but maybe he won´t know. To play with him, as I´m a musician (semi-pro), that would be great but I think that´s just a dream and maybe it´s better so.
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:00 am

Would people want to sweeten up the recordings with additional guitar or piano? LOL. (I jest of course. That would ruin them for many fans, even if there were noticeable imperfections.) I would love to see them do this, but my main interest is things not circulating, since I have most thanks to Peter's DVD audio collection, or new recordings, even if he does a lot of the same songs at shows.

I think that Killer's conversations may not be what they once were, but I am revisiting the idea of paid meet and greets. Perhaps if they were more limited in time to like a minute and had Phoebe, Linda Gail, or some manager there as a facilitator, it might work out okay. There could be some topics that are off limits, such as religion, and mentioning them could be grounds for immediate removal without autograph. I think if someone told the fans a list of topics off limits beforehand, 99% wouldn't do it as they wouldn't want to jeopardize having their visit cut short. Perhaps his music history could be off limits, if he doesn't want to field questions about ancient history. Frankly I wouldn't want to deal with them either if I was him. It would be insulting to have to take questions about things you did a half century earlier as if everything you did since then mattered not at all. And if someone said something that Jerry wasn't aware of, like iPods, Phoebe or some facilitator could help him out (it is one of them things young kids listen to for their music, it's not for you), to facilitate making the exchange run smoothly. Honestly, although his interviews may not be great, I am sure he is more than capable of such a brief conversation with fans.
jllWAfan1982

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:09 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:
I think that Killer's conversations may not be what they once were, but I am revisiting the idea of paid meet and greets. Perhaps if they were more limited in time to like a minute and had Phoebe, Linda Gail, or some manager there as a facilitator, it might work out okay. There could be some topics that are off limits, such as religion, and mentioning them could be grounds for immediate removal without autograph. I think if someone told the fans a list of topics off limits beforehand, 99% wouldn't do it as they wouldn't want to jeopardize having their visit cut short. Perhaps his music history could be off limits, if he doesn't want to field questions about ancient history. Frankly I wouldn't want to deal with them either if I was him. It would be insulting to have to take questions about things you did a half century earlier as if everything you did since then mattered not at all. And if someone said something that Jerry wasn't aware of, like iPods, Phoebe or some facilitator could help him out (it is one of them things young kids listen to for their music, it's not for you), to facilitate making the exchange run smoothly. Honestly, although his interviews may not be great, I am sure he is more than capable of such a brief conversation with fans.

If the meeting was limited to a minute then I don't think too many people would worry about having their meeting cut short...

Also, if people were paying to ask what would only be one question, do you really think they'd want Phoebe answering for him?

As for his music history being off limits, surely any questions should be about music rather than personal?

And what happens if Jerry's too exhausted to do this (as he would be after most shows)?

You clearly haven't thought this through. :roll:
peterchecksfield

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:48 am

I would intend for this to happen two to three hours before the concert. That is what I encountered with my meet and greet for a different artist. After the concert would be a very poor idea indeed. There would need to be a limited amount of time set aside for this, so the number of people he could see would need to be restricted. Charging for a meet and greet is a good way of accomplishing this naturally. It may need to be limited further, as he may only wish to spend 30 minutes doing it, and that would be only 25-30 people if it was a minute each. Though some people could be in groups (e.g. if friends or couples went to the concert together, it would make sense for them to meet Jerry together, provided each person paid for it).

I didn't intend for Phoebe to answer questions, and I think that would be highly inappropriate, but if a question was about something he wasn't knowledgeable about, such as if he listened to iPods, she could help guide him, and then let him give his own answer.

A person could concievably ask him a few questions during the course of a minute, or they could just exchange pleasantries and dispense with questions altogether. Some fans here are diehard and like to know very specific, detailed information about everything, while others may not really care that much. Some may have no special questions they are eager to ask him but may just wish to enjoy a brief, pleasant conversation with an artist whose music they admire.

It would be up to the Lewises what questions they would or wouldn't want off limits if they thought the conversation could veer into dangerous territory. Jerry could be happy to discuss his musical history for all I know.

While a person could ask a question regarding a topic they were told was off limits such as religion, I don't think many fans would do so if they knew it was likely to irritate him. Keep in mind these are people who would like him enough to pay their hard earned money for the chance to meet him. They would not likely wish to make a bad impression. This is another reason why charging for it is a good idea as it would weed out people who might wish to push his buttons for sport, though I think those people would be very few.
jllWAfan1982

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:00 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:Keep in mind these are people who would like him enough to pay their hard earned money for the chance to meet him. They would not likely wish to make a bad impression. This is another reason why charging for it is a good idea as it would weed out people who might wish to push his buttons for sport, though I think those people would be very few.

What's stopping journalists from paying $100, & then asking him something controversial so that they get a good story? As Jerry generally refuses to do interviews then the likelyhood of this happening is very high. Also (as I've pointed out before), Jerry is very moody & changable, & it wouldn't take much to put him in a bad mood for the concert or perhaps make him walk out & not even play! While I don't know what caused his bad mood in Mannheim last year, we saw how he gave the finger to his cancer-suffering friend of over 40 years in front of thousands of people. This was almost certainly caused by something very minor.

Jerry apparantly gets paid at least $50,000 for one 40 minute performance. So do you really think he'd go through something he's clearly uncomfortable with just for another couple of thousand dollars? No, let him continue hanging out with his friends before shows as he always does.
peterchecksfield

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:52 pm

I think you are overestimating how much the tabloid press would be interested in talking to him. I think his days as tabloid fodder are over. But if someone did try that, that's a reason for a facilitator to step in and say something. There could be one or two security guys far off, and Phoebe could call them to remove the offending person, if a journalist really tried something like that. No reputable journalists would try that; only tabloids. On the other hand, such a stunt would help him sell more of his as yet unreleased next album.

I am not so sure that Jerry would be uncomfortable with such an arrangement. He might enjoy getting to meet new fans and seeing how much he is appreciated, and it certainly wouldn't prevent him from hanging out with older fans or friends he may know, as I would only envision a meet and greet taking up 30 minutes at minimum and 60 at most.

I highly doubt Jerry would ever undertake this kind of meet and greet endeavor, but I think it would be good to try at least once. It wouldn't be just about the money either, as it is a paltry sum to Lewis, but it would be a nice way of giving back.
jllWAfan1982

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:01 pm

jllWAfan1982 wrote:I am not so sure that Jerry would be uncomfortable with such an arrangement.

I am.

Does anyone else here (particularly those who've met Jerry) think Bramwell's idea is a feasable one?
peterchecksfield

Postby ChrisdeB » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:52 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
jllWAfan1982 wrote:I am not so sure that Jerry would be uncomfortable with such an arrangement.

I am.

Does anyone else here (particularly those who've met Jerry) think Bramwell's idea is a feasable one?

I dont think this is a feasable ida. Anyhow it is never going to happen so I don't really see the point of discussing it!!!

Chris de B
ChrisdeB

Postby Tony Papard » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:21 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:

I am.

No definitely not, why are we wasting time even discussing it? It will never happen. Even at Kerrie's birthday conventions we never got a 'meet and greet' session, just saw Jerry blow out candles on his cake.

Autographs were a possibility in the past, and are just possible if you catch him at the right moment and Phoebe or JW doesn't rush him away, but questions and answers - never. And certainly not paying for the privilege. It's hard enough for journalists to get an interview.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:43 pm

This is a discussion board. Not all discussion needs to necessarily serve a practical purpose. So what if he never does it? It is interesting to consider the possibility. And there is the slim chance someone would read it who would be in a position of power to implement it.

I don't think Jerry Lee Lewis is a rabid dog that is gonna get spooked and bite the wrong person in the foot for asking the wrong question. He is a 74 year old legend; I think he could handle himself well enough.
jllWAfan1982

PreviousNext

Return to Archive