New Ways for JLL to Make $$$$

Re: New Ways for JLL to Make $$$$

Postby Amadeu » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:00 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
jllWAfan1982 wrote:1.) charge $100 for an exclusive 3-5 minute meet and greet with one item to be autographed if so desired. This can occur before or after concerts. Any more and you will get very few interested parties aside from a small core group of diehard fans. And if there is greater interest, well, they coudl raise the prices, but I doubt that will happen.

I don't like this idea at all. Jerry (& all artists in fact) should meet & greet fans because they want to, not because there's any financial incentive.

The other ideas are fine, though as concerts don't vary too much these days the results would soon get repetitive & a bit boring. Far better would be to release "official bootlegs" of archive mixing desk / radio recordings, as many other artists have done.

Also, I'm not so sure that Jerry actually needs much more money. He gets paid more for doing one 40 minute concert than most of us earn in a year, & as he doesn't have to pay rent or a mortgage for his home (& rarely seems to buy expensive items like cars these days), then I think this is more than enough. Of course, after he's gone I'm sure that Phoebe etc will want to make some money, though no doubt there's many outtakes & videos etc in the vaults.

Spanish promotor toldl me : Dont worry, You'll be invited to the meet and greet in Madrid (July). This made me laugh at.They dont know Jerry and his staff.Of course no meet and greet at all.
Amadeu

Postby jayhawks » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:34 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
fede4avar wrote:I'd pay gold to meet in person Jerry Lee Lewis :lol:

If you pay enough you can even sing with him! Ask Blondell or Dorothee... :shock:

:ROFL
I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:03 pm

I think most adults with a regular income, from work or other means, would have the ability to sacrifice and save $100 (50-60 UK pounds) if they really wanted to. Might mean some sacrifice. The only people it would exclude were very poor or young people who are unemployed.
jllWAfan1982

Postby Ulli » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:24 am

Herb Hardesty shared his chicken with me in Cologne, let me in to Fats and we talked about 45 minutes, Jerry shook my hands in Oberhausen. That's enough for the rest of my life! To pay for meeting someone, I've already paid before is not my deal.
Keep Rockin'
Ulli

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:11 am

Is shaking a hand or getting an autograph really meeting someone if you don't have a conversation? I don't think it is.
jllWAfan1982

Postby Tony Papard » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:32 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:Is shaking a hand or getting an autograph really meeting someone if you don't have a conversation? I don't think it is.

Of course it is. That's all many fans have done with many artists. What can you say that they haven't already heard a million times anyway?

Sounds as if you are expecting an interview. The most you can expect is a quick handshake, perhaps an autograph and some quick comment.

It's different for a handful of fans who have been around Jerry for a long time, they can communicate as friends. Whenever I've met him or other singers like Little Richard, I never know quite what to say apart from 'great show', 'I liked your last album' or 'may I have your autograph'.

Somehow I never got round to discussing the philosophies of Hegel or Marx with these guys.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:36 am

Tony Papard wrote:
jllWAfan1982 wrote:Is shaking a hand or getting an autograph really meeting someone if you don't have a conversation? I don't think it is.

Of course it is. That's all many fans have done with many artists. What can you say that they haven't already heard a million times anyway?

Sounds as if you are expecting an interview. The most you can expect is a quick handshake, perhaps an autograph and some quick comment.

It's different for a handful of fans who have been around Jerry for a long time, they can communicate as friends. Whenever I've met him or other singers like Little Richard, I never know quite what to say apart from 'great show', 'I liked your last album' or 'may I have your autograph'.

Somehow I never got round to discussing the philosophies of Hegel or Marx with these guys.

Well, I did do just this thing I am suggesting with the Pet Shop Boys less than a week ago and I found it to be very satisfying. The cost for the special VIP tickets that allowed me to do this was only $100 more, and the seats were row 3, so excellent all around. I got to chat about whatever I wanted for about 3 minutes. Some fans got as much as five minutes; it depends on the city and the number of people. I got a private audience. It was all very nice. They greeted me; inquired about me. I got to ask them a few questions.

I agree that for most fans all they can expect is a handshake or an autograph. That is why I am suggesting a paid meet and greet, so you can get something beyond that which is personalized and meaningful. You can ask the question you want to ask or thank them for how they touched your life, etc. Of course the time is very limited and it is an artificial surrounding; you are paying to meet them. But in my opinion it is a lot better than a quick handshake or autograph. Some people might not like the idea of paying or think it is an artificial set up, but if Jerry did it for free, he would be inundated with thousands of fans, and he wouldn't have time to make it a personable and memorable experience.

I think you can say something original to these guys that they haven't heard before. I am pretty sure some of what I said to the Pet Shop Boys was new to them, though I wasn't trying to. But you wouldn't even need to talk about the music. You could just talk about how they are doing, their life outside of music; talk to them as a human being without hero worship. Could talk to Jerry about things he likes, like westerns, etc.

And if there was a personal meet and greet for 3-5 minutes, you could actually ask about political philosophers like that, though of course Jerry wouldn't know who they were, and would you want to spend your time talking about that? But you would have the chance, which of course you would not have if it was a rushed autograph outside a venue or at an airport.

And, no offense to anyone, but I don't consider it meeting a celebrity or anyone for that matter unless you actually talk to them a little bit yourself, even if it is just a few quick exchanges.
jllWAfan1982

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:40 am

Jerry Lee Lewis is not The Pet Shop Boys, & (even if he agreed to this) he doesn't suffer fools gladly. So if you'd hung around him in the past you'd know that this would never work. :lol:

Also Jerry is very sensitive about many topics as well as very moody (I've always suspected him of being a manic-depressive), & even the most innocent of comments or questions can turn him quite nasty. :twisted:

As for meeting these artists myself, I personally have absolutely no desire to meet anyone on a fan-to-idol basis. Maybe I'm spoilt because I get to meet famous (or semi-famous) people during my job nearly every week (& of course I've already met Jerry several times though I have no wish to meet him again).
peterchecksfield

Postby bailbath » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:49 am

peterchecksfield wrote:Jerry Lee Lewis is not

Also Jerry is very sensitive about many topics as well as very moody (I've always suspected him of being a manic-depressive), & even the most innocent of comments or questions can turn him quite nasty. :twisted:

My Dad was a manic depressive I don't think Jerry suffers with that! I think with all the drugs Jerry has taken illegally or legally that is what has often determined his moods. Apart from that he has often surrounded by people who only say maybe what they think he wants them to say but that would be true of many high powered people. Plus as Karen just said 'he probably gets fed up of the same inane bullshit all the time' the same questions about ancient history!
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Tony Papard » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:03 am

I paid £20, along with many other fans, to line up for Little Richard to autograph a poster at a London gig at the Royal Festival Hall a few years ago. For that we got the poster, an autograph (including the message that 'God loves you'), and very little else as Richard was busy talking to his aides as he autographed the photos.

Jerry is anyway very difficult to talk to in anything like a coherent conversation, at least with strangers. Just look at all the bizarre interviews. Ask him about his influences, for example, or who's really running the USA and he's likely to give the same answer - the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.

I'd rather hear/watch him singing and playing on stage.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:24 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:Jerry Lee Lewis is not The Pet Shop Boys, & (even if he agreed to this) he doesn't suffer fools gladly. So if you'd hung around him in the past you'd know that this would never work. :lol:

LOL! I could see Jerry's level of disgust being expressed by a) grabbing and holding a nearby gun sitting on a side table, b) cocking the hammer of said gun, c) firing a shot from said gun into the general direction of said offensive questioneer.
Tim in St. Louis

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:25 pm

I guess Peter is right about Jerry's mental state. He just may not have what it takes to do something like this even if he would want to. It seems quite impossible from the above posts. Oh well. It was a thought.
jllWAfan1982

Postby Bobby McGee » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:57 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:Far better would be to release "official bootlegs" of archive mixing desk / radio recordings, as many other artists have done.

That would be great!!
But who owns the mixing desk recordings of JLL 70s/80s/90s concerts these days? Who´s got them? Where are those archives? :?:
Bobby McGee

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:04 pm

Bobby McGee wrote:But who owns the mixing desk recordings of JLL 70s/80s/90s concerts these days?

Peter Checksfield!

Bobby McGee wrote:Who´s got them?

Me!

Bobby McGee wrote:Where are those archives? :?:

In my house!

:wink:

But that's the whole point of official bootlegs, there's no buying master tapes, re-mixing, remastering, etc. It's just the artists making money from bootlegs that are circulating amongst fans, & perhaps in their own collections.
peterchecksfield

Postby Bobby McGee » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:13 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Bobby McGee wrote:But who owns the mixing desk recordings of JLL 70s/80s/90s concerts these days?

Peter Checksfield!

Bobby McGee wrote:Who´s got them?

Me!

Bobby McGee wrote:Where are those archives? :?:

In my house!

:wink:

But that's the whole point of official bootlegs, there's no buying master tapes, re-mixing, remastering, etc. It's just the artists making money from bootlegs that are circulating amongst fans, & perhaps in their own collections.
`

:D 8)

I thought you were talking about OTHER mixing desk recordings that none of us fans has ... ;-)

As for radio broadcast - I think there must be more material that hasn´t surfaced so far, right?
Bobby McGee

PreviousNext

Return to Archive