New Ways for JLL to Make $$$$

New Ways for JLL to Make $$$$

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:56 am

....because we know that is what his family is all about.

Here are some thoughts:

1.) charge $100 for an exclusive 3-5 minute meet and greet with one item to be autographed if so desired. This can occur before or after concerts. Any more and you will get very few interested parties aside from a small core group of diehard fans. And if there is greater interest, well, they coudl raise the prices, but I doubt that will happen.

Costs to the Lewis family: probably some for extra security and handlers to facilitate this.

2.) Live CD's. Make DAT recordings of all concerts via mixing boards and release those edited to tracks (no remastering, etc.) on either CD-R or as mp3 downloads for fans. It may not make a ton of money, but it would make some! They could sell the items themselves on JerryLeeLewis.com (thus allowing themselves to get the most of the profits possible) or outsource it some company that does this professionally, and there are a few.

The costs to the Lewis family: minimal, buying a DAT recorder, paying someone to transfer the material, paying for a site to host the materials, etc. But hopefully it would make enough money to cover all these costs and turn a profit.

3.) where possible make video recordings of concerts, add the mixing board audios and sell those. It wouldn't have to be that expensive. Get two cheap miniDV camcorders and send the materials off to Lucio - I am sure he would give the Lewis family a good deal, and he does professional quality work.
Sell these on JerryLeeLewis.com at $20 a pop. (Any more than that and people would bootleg it.)

The costs to the Lewis family: next to zero. Need to buy two minidv video cameras....would be about $1000 for new, or significantly less for used. No real need for professional cameras. A good minidv close up on Jerry Lee and another from a distance, each set up on a tripod, would be more than good enough. Probably would need to pay Lucio or whoever some amount of money, but I am guessing he probably wouldn't charge much since he does this kind of stuff for free on his own.

Any other ideas or thoughts?
jllWAfan1982

Re: New Ways for JLL to Make $$$$

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:55 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:1.) charge $100 for an exclusive 3-5 minute meet and greet with one item to be autographed if so desired. This can occur before or after concerts. Any more and you will get very few interested parties aside from a small core group of diehard fans. And if there is greater interest, well, they coudl raise the prices, but I doubt that will happen.

I don't like this idea at all. Jerry (& all artists in fact) should meet & greet fans because they want to, not because there's any financial incentive.

The other ideas are fine, though as concerts don't vary too much these days the results would soon get repetitive & a bit boring. Far better would be to release "official bootlegs" of archive mixing desk / radio recordings, as many other artists have done.

Also, I'm not so sure that Jerry actually needs much more money. He gets paid more for doing one 40 minute concert than most of us earn in a year, & as he doesn't have to pay rent or a mortgage for his home (& rarely seems to buy expensive items like cars these days), then I think this is more than enough. Of course, after he's gone I'm sure that Phoebe etc will want to make some money, though no doubt there's many outtakes & videos etc in the vaults.
peterchecksfield

Postby Maarten K. » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:54 am

I agree with Peter. Why do you think Jerry needs to make more money? I'm pretty sure he already makes a ton of money each year. Sure, he doesn't perform that much, but just do the math. Say (for example), 25 shows at $25,000 is $625,000. And there will be other sources of income as well (royaltys).

When divorcing Kerrie the court papers said Jerry made about $1 million a year. And at that time he didn't perform that much either.

Charging fans for meeting Jerry will never be approved by Jerry himself. He has always met and greeted fans when performing. It seems that's about the only time he meets people outside his inner circle.
Maarten K.

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:57 am

Maarten K. wrote:
Charging fans for meeting Jerry will never be approved by Jerry himself.

Exactly. Jerry was mad at Kerrie for just selling autographed photos online, so there's no way he'd approve this.
peterchecksfield

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:15 am

WEll I know when I went to see Jerry Lee Lewis in 2007 that I didn't get to meet him. I don't know Phoebe or Jerry or anyone in his circle. I would never get a chance to meet him. I would love to pay $100 for a chance to have a private audience for a few minutes. I know he meets a lot of people, but aren't they the same people he has been meeting year after year?
jllWAfan1982

Re: New Ways for JLL to Make $$$$

Postby bailbath » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:20 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:....because we know that is what his family is all about.

What a stupid statement. We all need to earn money to live and maintain whatever lifestyle we choose. We are lucky in our lives that we have that choice.
I know you were only trying to help but that first statement got me mad :x
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:31 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:I would never get a chance to meet him.

Rubbish. Even today it's reasonably easy to meet Jerry if you know the right places, such as airports (particularly during departures). Unlike many "stars" Jerry doesn't surround himself with security who won't let people near him.
peterchecksfield

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:06 am

I would not want to sit around an airport all day or night hoping he would show up, especially if it was a large airport with many different depatures. If I knew when he would go and what gate, i would try to do so. Though do they even let people without tickets in the airport beyond a certain point in the US after 9/11? I don't know!
jllWAfan1982

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:11 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:I would not want to sit around an airport all day or night hoping he would show up, especially if it was a large airport with many different depatures.

Well you're obvious not that determined to meet him then...
peterchecksfield

Postby Maarten K. » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:13 am

I remember in 1995 I went to the airport to see Jerry. There were quite a few fans. When Jerry arrived he left rather quickly to his limo. The other fans stayed and talked to the bandmembers.

I went outside and caught Jerry sitting in his limo. Besides Wim there were no other fans. I had all the time and opportunity to ask Jerry for an autograph. Which he happily gave.

Since then I have made no effort in trying to meet Jerry. Not sure if I would succeed, but I haven't tried either. Perhaps if I asked other fans they can help and I would have a change. I do not know.

But I would feel like I would be imposing myself to the other fans.

Nevertheless, having a look around backstage, seeing Jerry perform from the side of the stage or even have my picture taken with him would be a dream come through! No doubt about that. Guess I'm a bit too shy to ask for help.
Maarten K.

Postby jayhawks » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:06 am

it was never my desire to MEET & GREET jerry for money...

if there is a possability (like f.e. in bocholt) to meet the band-members "privately" afterwards, fine!

but to pay for a meeting (like so many artists do in order to raise money from their diehard, loyal fans... :evil: ), no way!!
I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:15 am

Well, the money obviously would not be a big deal to Jerry or most artists, as $100 is nothing to him, or even $5000 if he saw 50 people, but it would be a way to separate real, true fans from the casual ones who don't care as much. If he had a free meet and greet at every concert, he would get hundreds of people. If you had to pay, it would separate the ones who really want it from the ones who don't care as much. By meet and greet, I don't mean just an autograph. I mean a chance to talk about whatever you want for 3-5 minutes. I would much rather pay $100 or so for that than have to wait around an airport all day and maybe get a rushed autograph. Charging might alienate some fans who are poor, but I think probably even a lot of the poor ones could come up with it for a one time chance to meet him. They may not wish to do it every time.

And, no, I am not dedicated enough to sit in an airport all day. I like Jerry Lee Lewis a lot, but I am not a patient person. And I was interested in a casual conversation more so than a quick autograph. :-(
jllWAfan1982

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:33 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:Well, the money obviously would not be a big deal to Jerry or most artists, as $100 is nothing to him, or even $5000 if he saw 50 people, but it would be a way to separate real, true fans from the casual ones who don't care as much.

No, it would just be a way to seperate the rich & poor fans, just as gigs like The 100 Club are.
peterchecksfield

Postby fede4avar » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:37 am

I'd pay gold to meet in person Jerry Lee Lewis :lol:
fede4avar

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:44 am

fede4avar wrote:I'd pay gold to meet in person Jerry Lee Lewis :lol:

If you pay enough you can even sing with him! Ask Blondell or Dorothee... :shock:
peterchecksfield

Next

Return to Archive