By Request - important historical info

By Request - important historical info

Postby Andrew McRae » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:03 am

See the attached link and extract of the narrative for some very interesting information, well worth noting!

This account has all the appearance of being reliable; and is evidence that with the exception of one small photo amongst the several on the cover of "The Greatest Live Show On Earth", none of the concert halls depicted on the covers of JLL's three 1960s live LPs represent the venues at which the actual shows were recorded!

Although the show in Morristown is not listed in Paul's / Wolfgang's list, JLL is noted as performing in nearby (57 miles away) Muncie, Indiana on 24th September 1966. The likeliest date for these photos might be the day before, i.e. 23rd September, as according to the 'diary' on 22nd he was in Milwaukee, but on 26th was in Louisiana.

This was just a few weeks after the "By Request" show was recorded at Fort Worth on 20th August. Easy enough for Smash records in Chicago to commission a photographer in or close to Morristown to get some snaps for the album cover.

Andrew

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIGNED-1968-JERRY-L ... 286.c0.m14

HERE IS A 1968 JERRY LEE LP COVER, "BY REQUEST". THE INFO ON THE BACK STATES THAT THIS LIVE LP WAS TAPED AT PANTHER HALL, IN FT. WORTH, TX. HOWEVER, THE 5 PHOTOS ON THE FRONT COVER WERE TAKEN AT A SHOW IN THE GYM, OF THE MORRISTOWN {POP. 1,000}, IND. HIGH SCHOOL. THE SENIOR CLASS SPONSORED THE SHOW TO RAISE MONEY FOR THEIR SENIOR TRIP. WELL, THEY LOST THEIR ASS, AS ONLY ABOUT 200 PEOPLE SHOWED UP FOR THE SHOW. JERRY HAD FALLEN ON HARD TIMES & WAS DRAGGING HIS BAND AROUND THE COUNTRY, IN 3 WHITE CADILLACS, PULLING U-HAUL TRAILERS, FOR THE INSTRUMENTS. UNDAUNTED, HE STILL PUT ON A HECK OF A SHOW! I HAVE SEEN HIM PERFORM, IN PERSON,ON SEVERAL OCASSIONS & THIS WAS ONE OF THE BEST. I EVEN GOT MY PICTURE ON THE COVER OF THIS LP. YOU CAN SEE THE BACK OF MY HEAD, IN THE LOWER RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOTTOM PIC. THIS IS MY ONLY CLAIM TO FAME! THIS ITEM ONE-OF-A-KIND ITEM IS IN NICE COND.
Andrew McRae

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:16 am

Some people add bs fluff to postings, an elaborate "story," to make it more desirable to buyers. His story would also add credibility to the autographed item's authenticity, so if it was forged, that would be one reason for the story.

I certainly have no expert knowledge of this period. My advice would be to read this other guys postings and see if others have elaborate stories. If so, he may not be all that credible. If not, he is probably telling the truth as best he can remember it.
jllWAfan1982

Postby Andrew McRae » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:28 am

Fair comment, but I think the account is plausible. There are no 'fanciful' stories attached to the seller's other items.

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:43 am

Andrew McRae wrote:Fair comment, but I think the account is plausible.

Me too! :shock:
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:37 am

I've got a very rare album autographed 'Joe Bloggs'. The guy on the sleeve is wearing a mask. But this is really a limited edition of a very rare 'live' album by Jerry Lee Lewis recorded in my potting shed, with only 6 friends present. Jerry wore the mask in case the IRS turned up and tried to grab his £20 performance fee (he was at rock bottom at this time). It was a great show with very rare songs. I'll sell the album to the highest bidder, reserve price £20,000/$40,000 :wink:
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Andrew McRae » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:48 pm

Tony Papard wrote:I've got a very rare album autographed 'Joe Bloggs'. The guy on the sleeve is wearing a mask. But this is really a limited edition of a very rare 'live' album by Jerry Lee Lewis recorded in my potting shed, with only 6 friends present. Jerry wore the mask in case the IRS turned up and tried to grab his £20 performance fee (he was at rock bottom at this time). It was a great show with very rare songs. I'll sell the album to the highest bidder, reserve price £20,000/$40,000 :wink:

C'mon off it, Tony, cut the hype. That "Live in Papard's Potting Shed" album isn't the least bit rare. As you say, though, the track list did feature some fairly unusual songs, rarely performed, including...

In The Garden / Autumn Leaves / Ramblin' Rose / Seasons of My Heart / Room Full of Roses *

(* This was Jerry Lee's only concession to Tony constantly badgering him to perform "I-40 Country" in its entirety)

I grant you that the follow up EP, "Live at Tony P's Bonfire", recorded at the second show that evening, is hard to find, though..

What a Heck of a Mess / Matchbox / Sticks and Stones / Setting The Wood on Fire / Burning Memories

Apparently there's no truth in the rumour that Jerry recorded Fats Domino's "I'm Going To Be A Wheelbarrow Someday" at these very exclusive live sessions.
Andrew McRae

Postby Henry » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:31 am

Andrew McRae wrote:C'mon off it, Tony, cut the hype. That "Live in Papard's Potting Shed" album isn't the least bit rare. As you say, though, the track list did feature some fairly unusual songs, rarely performed, including...

In The Garden / Autumn Leaves / Ramblin' Rose / Seasons of My Heart / Room Full of Roses *

(* This was Jerry Lee's only concession to Tony constantly badgering him to perform "I-40 Country" in its entirety)

I grant you that the follow up EP, "Live at Tony P's Bonfire", recorded at the second show that evening, is hard to find, though..

What a Heck of a Mess / Matchbox / Sticks and Stones / Setting The Wood on Fire / Burning Memories

Apparently there's no truth in the rumour that Jerry recorded Fats Domino's "I'm Going To Be A Wheelbarrow Someday" at these very exclusive live sessions.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Henry

Return to Archive