Jerry Lee Lewis songs of mourning

Postby jayhawks » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:16 pm

bailbath wrote:'I'm on fire' makes a great cremation song! Not exactly what you asked for!
Ian

:shock: :ROFL
I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:17 pm

Dirk B. wrote:Nobody mentioned "No Headstone On My Grave" yet. The perfect song for a funeral...

Although JLL never sings the full lyrics of this song, I doubt that many widows would want this bitter death-bed plea to be played at their husband's funeral!

( Don't put no headstone on my grave, all my life I've been a slave; I don't want the world to know; here lies the man that loved you so

Don't send no flowers when I'm gone, just put me down and then move on; just put me down and let me be, free from all this misery..

Tell my mother not to cry, I'll see her in the bye-and-bye... tell her that I'm finally free, of all the trouble that you caused me.
)
Andrew McRae

Postby Tony Papard » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:20 pm

jayhawks wrote:
bailbath wrote:'I'm on fire' makes a great cremation song! Not exactly what you asked for!
Ian

:shock: :ROFL

I LOVE IT! Perhaps we should all go out to that one. Pity all the lyrics don't fit a cremation.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Tony Papard » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:
Dirk B. wrote:Nobody mentioned "No Headstone On My Grave" yet. The perfect song for a funeral...

Although JLL never sings the full lyrics of this song, I doubt that many widows would want this bitter death-bed plea to be played at their husband's funeral!

( Don't put no headstone on my grave, all my life I've been a slave; I don't want the world to know; here lies the man that loved you so

Don't send no flowers when I'm gone, just put me down and then move on; just put me down and let me be, free from all this misery..

Tell my mother not to cry, I'll see her in the bye-and-bye... tell her that I'm finally free, of all the trouble that you caused me.
)

These words make more sense that the ones Jerry sings, though he salvages it by the 'I want a MONUMENT' quip at the end.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby Tommy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:57 pm

Above the songs already mentioned I think of:

I´ll never get out of this world alive
Please don´t talk about me when I´m gone
Life is like a railroad
The Ballad of Billy Joe
"Don't look at the clouds of tomorrow through the sunshine of today!"

Mick Jagger
Tommy

Postby Tony Papard » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:07 pm

Tommy wrote:Above the songs already mentioned I think of:

I´ll never get out of this world alive
Please don´t talk about me when I´m gone
Life is like a railroad
The Ballad of Billy Joe

Some people, especially some of the girlfriends/wives of Jerry Lee fans, say he's a miserable old bugger, always singing about death.

They should listen to the Hank Williams' version of 'Old Country Church' where he looks forward to joining his friends in the old Country Chuch graveyard, where they are all buried!

Me, I'm gonna meet Diana in person and help her push Wills to declare a British republic! Ha ha! :lol:

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby martin bates » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:56 am

Tony Papard wrote:
Me, I'm gonna meet Diana in person and help her push Wills to declare a British republic! Ha ha! :lol:

surely Prince Philip will have bumped him off before then ?

:wink:
Martin
martin bates

Postby martin bates » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:08 am

Piet wrote:
5. Another Place, Another Time. ( At the end when people start leaving the room)

what a great choice;
our friend starting the discussion may find comfort in a similar piece -not obviously relating to loss, but one that fits the particular circumstances.

Martin.
martin bates

Postby Piet » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:15 am

martin bates wrote:
Piet wrote:
5. Another Place, Another Time. ( At the end when people start leaving the room)

what a great choice;
our friend starting the discussion may find comfort in a similar piece -not obviously relating to loss, but one that fits the particular circumstances.

Martin.

Yes Martin,

I picked this song, replacing "" Feeding that old juke-box" & "Put in my last dime" into we did all we could do to get Els better 'till nothing was left to do, also a goodthe fact song because we will meet again "Another Place, Another Time".
Of course Jerry played a wonderful song for Els in Tilburg, why else would he picked "Help me make it through the night", a beuatiful tribute to his great fan.
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby Tommy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:02 pm

Tony Papard wrote: Some people, especially some of the girlfriends/wives of Jerry Lee fans, say he's a miserable old bugger, always singing about death.

And on the other hand there was a rumour telling that Jerry refused to record anything about death on LMS...
"Don't look at the clouds of tomorrow through the sunshine of today!"

Mick Jagger
Tommy

Postby Tony Papard » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:43 am

Tommy wrote:
Tony Papard wrote: Some people, especially some of the girlfriends/wives of Jerry Lee fans, say he's a miserable old bugger, always singing about death.

And on the other hand there was a rumour telling that Jerry refused to record anything about death on LMS...

According to the Brazilian interview, he is scared of death as he gets older. Perhaps what he is really scared of is his belief in Hell.

But he does still sing 'No Headstone' at some shows. And 'Trouble In Mind'. Whether he'd now record a song about death we may find out when the new album is finally released.

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:24 am

Tony Papard wrote:
According to the Brazilian interview, he is scared of death as he gets older. Perhaps what he is really scared of is his belief in Hell.

But he does still sing 'No Headstone' at some shows. And 'Trouble In Mind'. Whether he'd now record a song about death we may find out when the new album is finally released.

I think this is the reason he's gradually sung less & less gospel over the past 30 years, despite it being his favourite type of music. During the 1971-1977 period he performed gospel music at most shows.
peterchecksfield

Previous

Return to Archive