Jerry Lee Lewis songs of mourning

Jerry Lee Lewis songs of mourning

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:50 am

Are there any of Jerry Lee Lewis' songs that you would say would be appropriate for mourning or that concerns the subject of death, either directly or indirectly?

I ask for myself as I experienced a death several months ago. I have tried to think of some, but have not had much luck. To be honest I mainly listen to his live concerts or DVD's. This may sound sacrilegious, but there are a lot of his slower songs and country songs I have simply skipped or any listened to a small part of, or may have just listened to once. I am a live music fan, so I don't spend much time listening to his albums as 99% of the time I opt for live material. And while I have seen Jerry Lee Lewis live twice in the past, I have only REALLY gotten hardcore into JLL in the last year since I found this forum and collected nearly all his studio material and 100's of concerts thanks to the fine people here. I don't mean to turn this into a conversation about my not being as dedicated a fan as some others here, but I just offer this as an explanation for why I may not think of some death or mourning songs that may be obvious to others.

So please list any that you can think of. Thank you!
jllWAfan1982

Postby Andrew McRae » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:56 am

Will The Circle Be Unbroken, Softly & Tenderly, In Loving Memories, Gather Round Children... plus a number of others from the "Gospel" and "Church" LPs
Andrew McRae

Postby Tumppi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:18 am

Danny Boy
Tumppi

Postby bailbath » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:25 am

'I'm on fire' makes a great cremation song! Not exactly what you asked for!
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Piet » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:15 am

Since I've been there myself recently, we played:

At the beginning:

1. In Loving memories. (Start of ceremony)

2. Lewis Boogie. (Els her favorite)

3. Pledging my love. (After reading our lifestory)

4. Gather 'round children. (After the children's words)

5. Another Place, Another Time. ( At the end when people start leaving the room)
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby Henry » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:36 am

I have no experience of this(JLL-songs) my self but someone told me some years ago that Johan Blohm sang "The Old Rugged Cross" on Kenneth Swanströms funeral.
Henry

Postby Tony Papard » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:45 am

For my own funeral, whenever that is, I've suggested the following:

'Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow' (instrumental version)

'If We Never Meet Again'/'I'll Meet You In the Morning'

'I'll Fly Away'

There are many, many others dealing with death, as in all Country music. The split-tempo blues Charlie Rich song 'No Headstone on my Grave' of course, 'When The Grass Grows Over Me', 'Vacation In Heaven', 'Green Green Grass of Home', 'Who's Gonna Play This Ol' Piano?', 'I Know Jesus Will Be There', 'When They Ring Those Golden Bells' (Caribou), etc.

Not all are suitable for mourning/funerals. 'Green Green Grass of Home' would only be appropriate if the person being mourned was executed in prison!
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:50 am

Personally I want 'The Laughing Policeman' played at my funeral, none of this sombre & depressing stuff for me!
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:56 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:Personally I want 'The Laughing Policeman' played at my funeral, none of this sombre & depressing stuff for me!

I thought 'I'll Fly Away' was quite a jolly little ditty.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby Rocker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:27 am

"Trouble in mind" is a depressing song for me (the original is great, as is JLL's "Session"-version) but I don't know if it would fit with funerals and stuff.
Rocker

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:34 am

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I don't mean songs for funerals necessarily, but just songs that someone who has been through it might like to hear. Doesn't need to be solemn or somber necessarily.

I listened to the Danny Boy from one of the box sets. Odd that JLL sings only the first verse and makes a few lyrical changes. There are some live versions from the early-mid 70's, but the quality is shockingly bad. Does any versions of this song exist on video?
jllWAfan1982

Postby Tony Papard » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:07 am

[quote="jllWAfan1982"]Thanks for all the great suggestions. I don't mean songs for funerals necessarily, but just songs that someone who has been through it might like to hear. Doesn't need to be solemn or somber necessarily.

quote]

It's very difficult to choose songs which would bring comfort for someone in mourning, as we all have different beliefs. Songs like 'Vacation in Heaven' and 'I'll Fly Away' would not be of much comfort to those who believe there's no afterlife for instance.

How about 'One Of Them Things We All Go Thru' which is about loss of a girlfriend, not clarified whether because she walked out on him or died?

'Memory Number One' and 'Precious Memories' (Caribou) are two other possibles.

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:12 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:There are some live versions from the early-mid 70's, but the quality is shockingly bad. Does any versions of this song exist on video?

Unfortunately not.
peterchecksfield

Postby Dirk B. » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:08 pm

Nobody mentioned "No Headstone On My Grave" yet. The perfect song for a funeral...
Dirk B.

Postby jarireinikka » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:07 pm

I think Tony already mentioned it.
jarireinikka

Next

Return to Archive