20 Great JLL Songs That You Might've Forgot About...

Postby bluesinc. » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:12 am

peterchecksfield wrote:Tim, Tony, please learn to edit your quotes...

The thing I hate about 'Revolutionary Man' are the "Jerry is a rebel" backing vocals, I feel like throwing up every time I hear them!

There are some of these awful backing choruses also on other songs ie. Rockin´Jerry Lee
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:23 am

bluesinc. wrote:

The thing I hate about 'Revolutionary Man' are the "Jerry is a rebel" backing vocals, I feel like throwing up every time I hear them!

There are some of these awful backing choruses also on other songs ie. Rockin´Jerry Lee

I agree that's another awful one. Even the original Sun single of 'Let's Talk About Us' has some pretty annoying backing vocals, though I like them on most Sun recordings (When The Saints, Old Black Joe, Baby Baby Bye Bye, Carry Me Back To Old Virginia, etc).
peterchecksfield

Postby Henry » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:11 pm

bluesinc. wrote:

Diffrent opinions..i like those backing chorus.
Henry

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:21 am

I actually like the "sound" of the backing choruses (black girl singers), but the lyrics of "Revolutionary Man" are pretty pathetic.
Tim in St. Louis

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:35 am

Tim in St. Louis wrote:I actually like the "sound" of the backing choruses (black girl singers), but the lyrics of "Revolutionary Man" are pretty pathetic.

I agree with all of this, it's the lyrics rather than the fine singers that is so annoying.
peterchecksfield

Postby bluesinc. » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:11 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Tim in St. Louis wrote:I actually like the "sound" of the backing choruses (black girl singers), but the lyrics of "Revolutionary Man" are pretty pathetic.

I agree with all of this, it's the lyrics rather than the fine singers that is so annoying.

me too, the lyrics are make it worse. Bobby Darin had a 7" in 1971 I think and on the B side the chorusgirls were also singing such awful stuff about "...sing it Bobby..."
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby Bill T » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:03 am

Her goes 20 more (or less,as several are the same as on others lists)

1. Hong Kong Blues...love the piano

2. Deep Elum Blues...great piano solos and great vocal

3.Your Lovin Ways...a rock a billy torch song!

4. I've Been Twistin...a rip on the craze...but what vocals!

5. Save the Last Dance for Me...it swings right along...fine piano and playful vocals

6. Just Dropped In (to see what condition)..bluesy version ,before the kenny rogers cut..much better imo

7.Sweet Thang w/ linda Gail...playful and fun

8. North to Alaska...different from Pitneys...fun reading by JLL and Linda Gail...great vocals

9. She was my Baby...He was My Friend...shoulda been a hit...great tune

10. It's a Hang Up,Baby...full throttle ,what a set of pipes...makes me shiver, that monkey paw does

11. Play Me a Song,I Can Cry To...great vocal...honky tonk at its best

12. Mom and Dads Waltz...heartfelt vocal

13. She Still Comes Around ,it was hit...but has been really overlooked...the words and Jerry's reading...wonderful picture was painted by JLL with this one...you can set your watch...by me on Friday night...

14. Speak alittle Louder To Us Jesus...great vocal,great lyrics,,,great piano...and boy...it holds true today too.

15. Don't Be Cruel...the Killer Rocks On..and boy ,does he ever on this cut!

16. Music To the Man...just like the tune...one of my wife;s favs

17. #1 Lovin Man...that piano solo right after the line "and I can do it baby" still gives me goosebumps ,even after all these years...it smokes!

18. Love Game...like the lyrics...great,bittersweet vocal by the Killer

19. What Makes the Irish Heart Beat...its a overlooked masterpiece...i want a stout...NOW!!!!

20. Down the Road Apiece...what a barrelhouse boogie...geart piano solo...vocal asides...gimme a cigar and a scotch!

Bill T.
Bill T

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:24 am

Bill T wrote:Her goes 20 more (or less,as several are the same as on others lists)

1. Hong Kong Blues...love the piano

2. Deep Elum Blues...great piano solos and great vocal

3.Your Lovin Ways...a rock a billy torch song!

4. I've Been Twistin...a rip on the craze...but what vocals!

5. Save the Last Dance for Me...it swings right along...fine piano and playful vocals

6. Just Dropped In (to see what condition)..bluesy version ,before the kenny rogers cut..much better imo

7.Sweet Thang w/ linda Gail...playful and fun

8. North to Alaska...different from Pitneys...fun reading by JLL and Linda Gail...great vocals

9. She was my Baby...He was My Friend...shoulda been a hit...great tune

10. It's a Hang Up,Baby...full throttle ,what a set of pipes...makes me shiver, that monkey paw does

11. Play Me a Song,I Can Cry To...great vocal...honky tonk at its best

12. Mom and Dads Waltz...heartfelt vocal

13. She Still Comes Around ,it was hit...but has been really overlooked...the words and Jerry's reading...wonderful picture was painted by JLL with this one...you can set your watch...by me on Friday night...

14. Speak alittle Louder To Us Jesus...great vocal,great lyrics,,,great piano...and boy...it holds true today too.

15. Don't Be Cruel...the Killer Rocks On..and boy ,does he ever on this cut!

16. Music To the Man...just like the tune...one of my wife;s favs

17. #1 Lovin Man...that piano solo right after the line "and I can do it baby" still gives me goosebumps ,even after all these years...it smokes!

18. Love Game...like the lyrics...great,bittersweet vocal by the Killer

19. What Makes the Irish Heart Beat...its a overlooked masterpiece...i want a stout...NOW!!!!

20. Down the Road Apiece...what a barrelhouse boogie...geart piano solo...vocal asides...gimme a cigar and a scotch!

Bill T.

Mostly excellent choices, & always good to see others appreciating songs from 'Soul My Way', quite possibly his greatest ever studio album vocally!
peterchecksfield

Postby Ulli » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:57 am

1. Hand me down my walking cane
2. Friday Night
3. Too Young
4. Memphis Beat
5. King of the Road
6.Turn on your Lovelight (even without piano ;-)
7. I'm so lonesome I could cry
8. My Blue Heaven (Mercury)
9. The Morning after baby let me down
10. Honky Tonk Wine
11. The Closest Thing (like 6.)
12. Country Memories
13. Wild & Wooly Ways
14. Don't let go (Elektra)
15. Jukebox Junky
16. Let Me On
17. Good Time Charly's got the Blues
18. She sure makes lLeavin' look easy
19. Only You
20. Miss the Mississippi

I agree with most of Bills choices, as I do with lots from the other lists, just wanted to throw the one or other not-mentioned track in the round.
It's unbelievable, you could mention hundreds of great songs, that never made the charts or just are forgotten.
Keep Rockin'
Ulli

Postby Bill T » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:37 am

Aint it the truth Ulli! I also enjoy most of the tunes you posted...Country Memories is great...Only You.. the great riff of Honky Tonk Wine...Good Time Charly...that one gets better the louder you play it...I'm So Lonesome...very sad,very stark...what a picture he painted on that one...best version I've ever heard...Don't let Go...ooooooowwwwwweeeeee,,that feelin's killin me! And on and on...

Rock On!

Bill
Bill T

Postby Amadeu » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:47 pm

1-Memory
2-Friday night
3-Music to the Man
4-Oh, lord, i ve tried everything but you
5-I know what It means
6-You ve still got a place in my heart
7-Holdin On
8-Someday (Mercury Cut)
9-That Lucky Old Sun(Soundtrack)
10-Wolverton Mountain
11-C.C.Rider(Elektra)
12-When He Walks on You
13-Have I got a Song for You
14-Corinne, Corinna
15-Funny How Time Slips Away
16-Ring of Fire
17-Hallelujah Side
18-No Traffic Out of Abilene
19-Love Game
20-Games People Play
Amadeu

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:53 am

One of my favorite JLL songs in the early 2000's, when I first got into JLL, was "Don't Boogie Woogie (When You Say Your Prayers Tonight)." I almost never listen to it now (as I primarily listen to live JLL).
If it's good enough for me,
It should be good enough for you.
--Jerry Lee Lewis
jllWAfan1982

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:55 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:One of my favorite JLL songs in the early 2000's, when I first got into JLL, was "Don't Boogie Woogie (When You Say Your Prayers Tonight)." I almost never listen to it now (as I primarily listen to live JLL).

It doesn't sound like Jerry playing piano on that though... :?
peterchecksfield

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:18 am

I didn't notice it at the time, and I haven't listened to it recently, though I just thought of it again today. It doesn't matter to me if he isn't playing the piano; it's still a great song!
If it's good enough for me,
It should be good enough for you.
--Jerry Lee Lewis
jllWAfan1982

Postby Amadeu » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:09 pm

jllWAfan1982 wrote:One of my favorite JLL songs in the early 2000's, when I first got into JLL, was "Don't Boogie Woogie (When You Say Your Prayers Tonight)." I almost never listen to it now (as I primarily listen to live JLL).

21-Don't Boogie Woogie (This has been one of my favorites)
Amadeu

PreviousNext

Return to Archive