20 Great JLL Songs That You Might've Forgot About...

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:30 am

Tumppi wrote:1. Old Pal Of Yesterday
2. Hand Me Down My Walking Cane
3. Little Green Valley
4. Save The Last Dance For Me
5. My Pretty Quadroon
6. Lincoln Limousine
7. Play Me The Song I Can Cry To
8. Oh Lord What’s Left For Me To Do
9. Walk A Mile In My Shoes
10. The House Of Blue Lights (1986)
11. Corrine, Corrina (1977)
12. Daughters Of Dixie (I can’t understand why this wasn’t released, the greatest of Jerry’s MCA recordings!)
13. What’s So Good About Goodbye
14. After The Fool You’ve Made Of Me
15. I Can’t Trust Me In Your Arms Anymore
16. I Can’t Seem To Say Goodbye
17. Poison Love
18. Miss The Mississippi And You
19. What Makes The Irish Heart Start To Beat
20. Lost Highway

I also think that "Country Class" is way too much overlooked album. And as you can see of my list, I also like the "Young Blood" album, probably musically the best album Jerry Lee has made since 1979.

Tuomas K.

I'd agree with most of these, & considered 5, 9, 12, 14, 15, 16 & 17 for my own list (I didn't consider anything from 'Last Man Standing' simply because it's still new & most fans will be familier with the entire album). Perhaps the only songs above I wouldn't choose are 'Corinne, Corinna' (I prefer the 1965 cut as the vocal is far more expressive, though the 1977 version does have some great piano!) & 'What Makes The Irish Heart Beat' (nice song, but I don't think the lyrics would mean much to Jerry). I certainly agree with 'Daughters Of Dixie', a superb song!
peterchecksfield

Re: 20 Great JLL Songs That You Might've Forgot About...

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:34 am

Dallas wrote:(1) Pumpin' Piano Rock (curiously overlooked amongst his other 50s rockers, check out that piano solo!)

(2) I Could Never Be Ashamed Of You (forget 'You Win Again', this is his finest Hank Williams interpretation at Sun)

Pumpin' Piano Rock has a gem of a piano solo and I Could Never Be Ashamed has very inspired piano work.

I love the various takes of Crazy HEART because of the beatiful playing by Jerry.

Piano players seem to prefer the fast '58 version of good rockin' with two of Jerrys best ever rockin' solos. I am a piano player ( :

There is a take of Ooby Dooby that features a 'perfect' JLL solo - wonderful.

I must confess that I hardly listened to Jerry's 706 Union Avenue recordings for years, & I'm only just starting to really appreciate them again. But (unlike yourself, Peter Hayman, etc) I like Jerry's recordings for his voice even above his piano playing! That's why I love much of 'Soul My Way' so much; Jerry was at his vocal peak even though there's little or no piano on some recordings.
peterchecksfield

Postby jarireinikka » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:40 am

didn't write that it's an original song by Jerry; I've no idea if anyone did it previously or even (without checking) who wrote it

I recall it´s from somebody called Woodrow Web or something???
Can´t recall other,earlier versions before Jerry
jarireinikka

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:41 am

jarireinikka wrote:
didn't write that it's an original song by Jerry; I've no idea if anyone did it previously or even (without checking) who wrote it

I recall it´s from somebody called Woodrow Web or something???
Can´t recall other,earlier versions before Jerry

I just googled it, & I ca\n't find earlier versions either. Definately a missed opportunity!
peterchecksfield

Postby Tommy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:13 pm

1. Margie
2. Revolutionary man
3. Hold on I´m coming
4. Sick and tired.
5. Working man blues
"Don't look at the clouds of tomorrow through the sunshine of today!"

Mick Jagger
Tommy

Postby martin bates » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:24 pm

rockin532000 wrote:On the other side, I was wondering if the superb "No traffic out of Abilene" song is really an original by Jerry or was it from someone else? If it is an original song by Jerry, like Peter wrote, it is not understandable why it was not released as a single.

Best Wishes
Joerg

on the sleeve notes for the album 'Fan Club Choice' it says the track was held back for a single release that didn't materialise......
Martin.
martin bates

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:42 pm

Tommy wrote:1. Margie
2. Revolutionary man
3. Hold on I´m coming
4. Sick and tired.
5. Working man blues

I think that 'Revolutionary Man' is horrible...

Like the rest though, particularly 'Working Man Blues' (which I was lucky enough to see Jerry perform in 1983!).
peterchecksfield

Postby martin bates » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:07 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
2. Revolutionary man
3. Hold on I´m coming
4. Sick and tired.
5. Working man blues

Like the rest though, particularly 'Working Man Blues' (which I was lucky enough to see Jerry perform in 1983!).

Revolutionary Man was one of my favourites when the album came out;I still like it -it's like Jerry is battling against the brass section (& winning!) in the end he's ab-libbing while they belt out the well reheared riff.....anyhoo....different things appeal to each of us; I was at Notts as well when John Seward requested WMB; if I remember rightly a startled John was asked by Jerry what he wanted to hear ...WMB was the first thing that came into his head. I think Jerry had mixed John up with someone else who was shouting requests.

Martin.
martin bates

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:04 pm

martin bates wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
2. Revolutionary man
3. Hold on I´m coming
4. Sick and tired.
5. Working man blues

Revolutionary Man was one of my favourites when the album came out;I still like it -it's like Jerry is battling against the brass section (& winning!) in the end he's ab-libbing while they belt out the well reheared riff.....anyhoo....different things appeal to each of us; I was at Notts as well when John Seward requested WMB; if I remember rightly a startled John was asked by Jerry what he wanted to hear ...WMB was the first thing that came into his head. I think Jerry had mixed John up with someone else who was shouting requests.

Martin.

Yes, musically it's a really good tune, but the lyrics seem out of touch for a guy like JLL to be singing in the early 70's. They just sound way too self-indulgent for a person with a rebel image to sing.

A rebel doesn't tell you he's tough and cool, he just is.
Tim in St. Louis

Postby Tony Papard » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:45 pm

Tim in St. Louis wrote:
martin bates wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
2. Revolutionary man
3. Hold on I´m coming
4. Sick and tired.
5. Working man blues

Martin.

Yes, musically it's a really good tune, but the lyrics seem out of touch for a guy like JLL to be singing in the early 70's. They just sound way too self-indulgent for a person with a rebel image to sing.

A rebel doesn't tell you he's tough and cool, he just is.

Also a rebel is rather different to a revolutionary person, or at least can be. I'd describe Jerry as being a rebel, but not revolutionary.

Revolutionary either has political implications, which certainly don't apply to Jerry Lee who is rather conservative in his political opinions, or indicates a truly revolutionary lifestyle. Even marrying 6 times, forgetting to get divorced and wedding a young cousin may not be regarded as revolutionary - why bother to get married at all - again it reflects conservative values; needing to get married to avoid fornication.

But Jerry's definitely been a rebel most of his life.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:59 pm

Tim, Tony, please learn to edit your quotes...

The thing I hate about 'Revolutionary Man' are the "Jerry is a rebel" backing vocals, I feel like throwing up every time I hear them!
peterchecksfield

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:21 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:Tim, Tony, please learn to edit your quotes...

The thing I hate about 'Revolutionary Man' are the "Jerry is a rebel" backing vocals, I feel like throwing up every time I hear them!

I'll try, Peter.

I agree with you Tony (on the diff between a rebel and a revolutionary)

I like the background singers on the album, but agree with you Peter - on that track they only make a clumsy sounding song worse.
Tim in St. Louis

Postby Tony Papard » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:26 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:Tim, Tony, please learn to edit your quotes...

Sorry, I usually do edit them but forgot this time for some reason.

Yes, the backing chorus is quite embarrassing. Do we need a girlie chorus telling us Jerry is a 'revolutionary man' in squeaky voices?
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:09 am

Another song I would add to this list is "Before The Snow Flies" which I just discovered on disc One of the Mercury box. And yes, it's bascially Linda Gail's song, but it sure is good. Reminds me of the great story songs of the 60's and 70's that used to be hits in the old days.

Question: Did "Before The Snow Flies" ever make it into her live act?

Comment: The Ovation Network is running "Later with Jools Holland" and they recently ran the show with Linda Gail and Van Morrison. It was outstanding!
Tim in St. Louis

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 am

Tim in St. Louis wrote:Question: Did "Before The Snow Flies" ever make it into her live act?

Certainly not her solo act, though it may have been part of her warm-up for JLL at the time (though even that's doubtful).
peterchecksfield

PreviousNext

Return to Archive