Places that are Rare for Jerry Lee Lewis to Play

Postby wolfgangguhl » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:59 am

And there is a good reason why Phoebe doesn't want any politics in interviews...
wolfgangguhl

Postby rockin532000 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:54 am

wolfgangguhl wrote:Jerry has also talked about "his poor uncle Hitler" and made the Hitler salute on several occassions.

Let's face it, the guy is a complete political idiot and there is no excuse for it. He might be one of the most talented musicians ever lived and he has also done a lot of good things for people and especially animals, but his mind is stuck in Ferriday, Louisiana in the 1930's/1940's.

That's what I like about you Wolfgang: You bring things to a point :lol:

My view is that even today it has also a lot to do with the U.S. (public) school systems. I have experienced that myself when I was working in Dallas TX and was heading up a unit of about 10 people. Sometimes it was almost hilarious how little people knew about world politics, geography, history and the likes.
Sometimes it was definitely a pain when they tried to make some calculations with foreign currencies :wink:

Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby cbii » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:35 pm

Delaware is on the east coast of the USA and although it's a small state, is rather densely populated. Vermont is too and I can't see how Mr. Lewis has never played a show there. I'd venture to guess, Mr. Lewis has played every state in the United States over the course of his career. Some of the sparsely populated states of the west certainly fall into the "RARE" places he's played just because of population. However, I'd expect to see Billings Montana, Cheyenne Wyoming, Fargo North Dakota on his list of cities played multiple times.

The bottom line on this is cash money. If offered the right sum of money these guys (all of them) are going to make the trip and play the show. Capitalism is king in many of their minds and to hell with all the other stuff.
cbii
http//www.facebook.com/chuckberry
cbii

Postby Perk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:38 pm

I read that Jerry was the first artist (or rock artist) that ever played Alaska. This i read most likely in Fireball mail. I recall it happened already in the 50´s.
Perk

Postby thrund » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:55 pm

rockin532000 wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:Jerry has also talked about "his poor uncle Hitler" and made the Hitler salute on several occassions.

Let's face it, the guy is a complete political idiot and there is no excuse for it. He might be one of the most talented musicians ever lived and he has also done a lot of good things for people and especially animals, but his mind is stuck in Ferriday, Louisiana in the 1930's/1940's.

That's what I like about you Wolfgang: You bring things to a point :lol:

My view is that even today it has also a lot to do with the U.S. (public) school systems. I have experienced that myself when I was working in Dallas TX and was heading up a unit of about 10 people. Sometimes it was almost hilarious how little people knew about world politics, geography, history and the likes.
Sometimes it was definitely a pain when they tried to make some calculations with foreign currencies :wink:

Best Wishes
Joerg

thrund

Lewis family politics

Postby Tony Papard » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:30 pm

The Lewis family politics are extremely unlikely to be liberal, but there are of course big contradictions since Jerry and his kin got inspiration from black musicians, etc. Jerry has praised Chuck Berry and other black artists, and specifically about Chuck said what an uphill battle he had as a black man with all the things that happened to him over the years. Jerry had similar shit, but said as a white guy he was 'fair game'.

On the other hand Jerry supported segregationist Govr Wallace of Alabama, so did Linda Gail I believe. Jerry voted for Barry Goldwater in the 1964 election, he was an extreme rightwing Presidential candidate. He also admitted he did not vote for Barack Obama in the recent Presidential election, but for the Republican candidate.

But I would imagine any racism bred into white Southerners in the years of segregation has mellowed greatly over the years. Witness Jerry in video clips shaking hands with a black Tennessee Congresswoman at the road naming in his honor, and standing with black politicians, and of course he's appeared on stage/TV with black artists like Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Little Richard, Jackie Wilson, etc.

I have heard of racist remarks attributed to some of the Lewis family, but would not set too much store by them. I'd hate all of my off the cuff remarks in heated moments to be noted down for posterity.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:47 pm

I believe that Delaware, Montana, Vermont, and Alaska were among some of the states that Elton John had never played until 2007, when he set out to play every state in the US he had not yet played at. I think South Dakota may have been one as well. Of course Elton John is a much bigger draw as an artist than Lewis, so while it may not have made since for John to go to those kinds of places in the past (preferring larger markets), an artist like Lewis who plays to much smaller crowds may have gone to those kinds of places.
jllWAfan1982

Postby cbii » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:19 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:I believe that Delaware, Montana, Vermont, and Alaska were among some of the states that Elton John had never played until 2007, when he set out to play every state in the US he had not yet played at. I think South Dakota may have been one as well. Of course Elton John is a much bigger draw as an artist than Lewis, so while it may not have made since for John to go to those kinds of places in the past (preferring larger markets), an artist like Lewis who plays to much smaller crowds may have gone to those kinds of places.

Well said and put.
cbii
http//www.facebook.com/chuckberry
cbii

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:15 am

As I said earlier, Jerry did play in Vermont (not may have played), & I have the audio.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:20 am

peterchecksfield wrote:As I said earlier, Jerry did play in Vermont (not may have played), & I have the audio.

Has he played the smallest state, Rhode Island? Where and when did he play Alaska and Hawaii?
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Perk » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:51 am

Tony Papard wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:As I said earlier, Jerry did play in Vermont (not may have played), & I have the audio.

Has he played the smallest state, Rhode Island? Where and when did he play Alaska and Hawaii?

Well Jerry played Honolulu a few years ago. An article is available at Wolfies Chuck Berry site.

Alaska i only read about he being the first performer there. Sometime in the 50´s.

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:59 am

Tony Papard wrote:Has he played the smallest state, Rhode Island?

Yes. I have a great 1981 audio of a show there.
peterchecksfield

Postby wolfgangguhl » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:32 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:Western companies love to employ them. They work like no others. And they work with each other and not against each other!

Yes, they're very hard-working & loyal people.

Gotta Be An Oriental...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w42bL2ri ... re=channel

8)
wolfgangguhl

Postby Andrew McRae » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:18 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:Western companies love to employ them. They work like no others. And they work with each other and not against each other!

Yes, they're very hard-working & loyal people.

Gotta Be An Oriental...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w42bL2ri ... re=channel

8)

And your point is?

This song is sexist, misogynist, patronising, racist, shit - probably the most politically incorrect recording of the 21st century.

Go on, Wolfie, try and convince me that it's supposed to be 'tongue in cheek'!

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:50 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:
This song is sexist, misogynist, patronising, racist, shit - probably the most politically incorrect recording of the 21st century.

It has a nice beat though. :wink:
peterchecksfield

PreviousNext

Return to Archive