Places that are Rare for Jerry Lee Lewis to Play



Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:57 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:Western companies love to employ them. They work like no others. And they work with each other and not against each other!


Yes, they're very hard-working & loyal people.
peterchecksfield

 

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:02 pm

And then kill themselves if they have a workplace failing. :-(

They do seem like a beautiful and wonderful people now, but I am just providing historical context for why someone of Jerry's years might hate them.
jllWAfan1982

 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm

jllWAfan1982 wrote:And then kill themselves if they have a workplace failing. :-(

They do seem like a beautiful and wonderful people now, but I am just providing historical context for why someone of Jerry's years might hate them.


...and why American southern blacks might hate someone like Jerry Lee Lewis. :roll:
peterchecksfield

 

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:38 am

For being a cover artist of black music?
jllWAfan1982

 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby Tony Papard » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:19 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:And then kill themselves if they have a workplace failing. :-(

They do seem like a beautiful and wonderful people now, but I am just providing historical context for why someone of Jerry's years might hate them.


By this logic Jerry and many other Southerners should hate their fellow Americans from the Yankee states. The Yankees killed more Southerners, and did more damage to the Southern states, than the Japanese ever did.

You have to forgive and forget. Seems Jerry's forgiven the Yankees, but not the Japanese.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

User avatar
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 4:01 pm
Location: London, England, EU

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:23 am

But that happened about 70 years before Jerry was born. This happened in his own lifetime.
jllWAfan1982

 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Pluto

Countries Jerry Lee's never played

Postby Tony Papard » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:25 am

Back on topic, there must be loads of them, especially in Asia. China, Mongolia, Vietnam, India, Pakistan, Korea, Japan, etc. He hasn't played in any of the former Soviet states except Russia I believe, nor in a lot of the Eastern/Central and Southern European states - Poland, Bulgaria, Albania, Bosnia-Herzogovina, Montenegro, Serbia, Cyprus... the list goes on and on. He's only played a few shows on America's doorstep - Latin America and the Caribbean.

But the list of countries where he HAS done shows is still pretty impressive. Has he appeared in every state of the USA? Hawaii, Alaska for instance?
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

User avatar
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 4:01 pm
Location: London, England, EU

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:39 am

Montana, Delaware, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, and Vermont are other states that are not played much by a lot of artists in the US--because they are smaller geographically or are isolated and have small populations.
jllWAfan1982

 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:07 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:For being a cover artist of black music?


Black people in the southern states were treated very badly well into JLL's lifetime. Just read biographies on Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Bo Diddley, Howlin' Wolf, etc. They weren't even allowed to eat from restaurants (which usually had black people cooking the food) & often had to sleep in cars or buses when touring while their white counterparts on the same tour could eat & sleep comfortably.

So they were treated bad by southern whites; Japanese people never stopped Jerry from having a drink of water at the public fountain or made him walk because he wasn't allowed on the bus, nor was he badly beaten for simply looking at a Japanese woman.

You really should read a bit more about your own country's deeply-flawed & very recent history Bramwell.
peterchecksfield

 

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:19 am

I am well aware of all that you recounted as I am sure you can imagine. I did not mean to give the impression that I didn't understand why blacks might feel that way towards white Southerns. I am surprised though that you would think that any of the older blacks you mentioned would feel any kind of negativity towards Lewis, who while he is a white Southerner, has also performed with many black artists and covered songs by prominent black artists. I assume he has never exhibited any kind of racism towards blacks. Besides not exhibiting racism towards blacks, Lewis has also talked about going to see black artists perform locally as a youth in clubs. He has openly expressed his admiration for black artists (though I don't know if he did so at the time--that would be interesting to know). So I can see no reason why black Southern Americans of that generation would feel anything against Lewis.

I can certainly understand why many would hate the typical Southern male of that era, and many still hold ill feelings because of it. But against Lewis? I don't see why they would if they knew anything about him. Those who are not familiar with his history may mistakenly think he is a racist, but that is ignorance.
jllWAfan1982

 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:24 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
jllWAfan1982 wrote:For being a cover artist of black music?


So they were treated bad by southern whites; Japanese people never stopped Jerry from having a drink of water at the public fountain or made him walk because he wasn't allowed on the bus, nor was he badly beaten for simply looking at a Japanese woman.


The Japanese at that time had some spies over here, probably not that many admittedly, and as a result all Japanese-Americans had to be sent to internment camps. All Japanese-Americans in the United States were here trying to stop us from having freedom and the rights afforded by our constitution; to help contribute to the destruction of our country. Or at least, that would be the official line that Jerry Lee and others of his generation would have perhaps heard as a child. In reality, many innocent Japanese-Americans suffered needlessly.
jllWAfan1982

 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:28 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:I am well aware of all that you recounted as I am sure you can imagine. I did not mean to give the impression that I didn't understand why blacks might feel that way towards white Southerns. I am surprised though that you would think that any of the older blacks you mentioned would feel any kind of negativity towards Lewis, who while he is a white Southerner, has also performed with many black artists and covered songs by prominent black artists. I assume he has never exhibited any kind of racism towards blacks. Besides not exhibiting racism towards blacks, Lewis has also talked about going to see black artists perform locally as a youth in clubs. He has openly expressed his admiration for black artists (though I don't know if he did so at the time--that would be interesting to know). So I can see no reason why black Southern Americans of that generation would feel anything against Lewis.

I can certainly understand why many would hate the typical Southern male of that era, and many still hold ill feelings because of it. But against Lewis? I don't see why they would if they knew anything about him. Those who are not familiar with his history may mistakenly think he is a racist, but that is ignorance.


Actually I was talking about white southerners in general, not just JLL. Having said that, I do believe that he's a little racist towards blacks. He might admire their music, but would he really feel different if Phoebe said that she was pregnant by a black man compared to a white man? I believe he would.

Linda Gail has said that both their father & Jerry were / are a little racist, though their mum accepted people as they are (apparantly much of Ferriday was appalled when she welcomed into her home the black actor who starred alongside Jerry in 1968's 'Catch My Soul'!).
peterchecksfield

 

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:15 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:Montana, Delaware, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, and Vermont are other states that are not played much by a lot of artists in the US--because they are smaller geographically or are isolated and have small populations.


Jerry's certainly played in Vermont (Burlington in 1986). I've an audio of this.
peterchecksfield

 

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:50 am

I certainly do not know Jerry's views on this matter, so I don't know if he would react violently to the suggestion of Phoebe marrying a black man. But then I have to ask myself, even if he was slightly racist towards blacks and would not like the idea, after having worked with Fats domino, Little Richard and having known Chuck Berry, what if one of them had a son who was an age-appropriate, successful and an accomplished musician with enough money to offer her a great lifestyle? Would Jerry accept them then? Or what if it was some other black musician who played the piano but was not connected to them but was otherwise ideal? I would think he would be pleased at that.
jllWAfan1982

 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby wolfgangguhl » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:57 am

Jerry has also talked about "his poor uncle Hitler" and made the Hitler salute on several occassions.

Let's face it, the guy is a complete political idiot and there is no excuse for it. He might be one of the most talented musicians ever lived and he has also done a lot of good things for people and especially animals, but his mind is stuck in Ferriday, Louisiana in the 1930's/1940's.

In answer to Tony's post, Jerry has also played Bulgaria in 2004.
wolfgangguhl

 
Posts: 3960
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Munich, Germany

PreviousNext

Return to Archive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron