how did you hear about Jerry Lee Lewis

how did you hear about Jerry Lee Lewis

Postby fede4avar » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:12 am

I open this topic to ask how did you hear about Jerry Lee Lewis

I knew him through my father who always put it when I was 3 years and then started my passion for this great artist :lol:
fede4avar

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:28 am

I saw him on the 1964 Granada TV Special when it was rebroadcast in 1977, followed by The London Rock & Roll Show when it was first shown on TV in 1978. My parents' collection included Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry & Fats Domino so I knew about them at a very early age, but I wasn't aware of JLL until I was 14.
peterchecksfield

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:29 am

I learned about him in school. Don't remember exactly when or what, but I do know that is how.
jllWAfan1982

Postby bailbath » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:34 am

My Dad gave me a readers digest collection of about 6 lp's with lots of rock n roll artists Jerry stood head and shoulders for me and that was it. I found my soul music! I was 12/13 at the time thirty years ago!!
Ian
Last edited by bailbath on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Piet » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:47 am

Nothing new as in my first story, when I found Els, I found my muse AND music. :thumbsup
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby walalla » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:22 am

The first time I saw the name JLL was in a article about the GBOF movie in a youth magazine called Bravo in 1989 (at that time one of the most influencing pop magazines in Germany). In this year Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers had a couple of top ten hits, in which they mixed some 50s songs together. The JLL section (I think some seconds of GBOF) was really inspiring for me. After that I was looking for some good stuff in my father's record collection (I found a Star Club sampler) watched the movie and finally in 1991 I attended my first JLL concert with 15.
walalla

Postby peter molecz » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:59 am

I heared him on radio in the early 70`s, some years later I´ve seen a short live clip in Austrian TV "Western Saloon" by Günther Schifter (the king of schellacks). The first album I bought in London the same day Elvis died.

Peter M.
peter molecz

Postby Key_Okuna » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:13 am

My piano teacher was telling me something about blues and he mentioned the song Great Balls Of Fire. I heard this song some weeks before in a TV show, so I downloaded it on the internet. Then I look for who was that amazing man called Jerry Lee Lewis... and now I'm here. 8)
Visit my youtube channel and find some good JLL videos!
http://www.youtube.com/jerryleerules
Key_Okuna

Postby Perk » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:41 am

I first saw Jerry on "All You Need Is Love" on Tv in 1977. Then soon later the 1964 Granada special came on, but in the form of "Don´t Knock The Rock" which included Little Richard also.

Before that i was already a big fan of the 70´s hardrock. Had already collected a bunch of records despite my young age. But Jerry Lee just knocked me out, and it has been so ever since : )))
Perk

Postby Tony Papard » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:54 am

Never heard of him in the 1950s (I am the same age as Myra, so was 13 in 1958).

I think I first heard of him via Radio Luxemburg in 1963 when they were playing his minor UK hit 'Good Golly Miss Molly', and then the following year, after Granada's 'It's Little Richard' special broadcast in January 1964, I read in the music press that Jerry Lee and Gene Vincent had also recorded a special, which was broadcast on Jerry's 29th birthday - September 29th, 1964. This was when I really discovered Jerry and his stage act, and I joined the fan club after seeing him 'live' for the first time at Golders Green Hippodrome in December of that year.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:31 pm

Tony Papard wrote:Never heard of him in the 1950s (I am the same age as Myra, so was 13 in 1958).

I think I first heard of him via Radio Luxemburg in 1963 when they were playing his minor UK hit 'Good Golly Miss Molly', and then the following year, after Granada's 'It's Little Richard' special broadcast in January 1964, I read in the music press that Jerry Lee and Gene Vincent had also recorded a special, which was broadcast on Jerry's 29th birthday - September 29th, 1964. This was when I really discovered Jerry and his stage act, and I joined the fan club after seeing him 'live' for the first time at Golders Green Hippodrome in December of that year.

Hey Tony... What do you remember from that first show? Was he wild or tamed a little? Just interested in your stamped memories of that first encounter.

Personally, growing up there was never a definitive moment. GBOF and WLSGO were always known, but the real revelation came in the early-mid 90's when I started to explore country. My brother-in-law had some Time-Life hits collections and when I heard JLL doing stuff like "Another Place, another Time" and "She Still Comes Around To Love What's Left Of Me", he became an artist I had to start collecting.

Then once I realized he had the innate ability to take any song, cover it, and make it his own - I was hooked deep. That (to me) is why JLL tops Elvis any day. Elvis was a better singer, vocally, but had no where near the interpretational ability of JLL. Like Sinatra, Lewis was/is fearless - willing to take on any song, by any artist - and try to top it. I love that kind of courage, and Elvis never had it. He (or the Col. Tom) always had him playing it safe, so his stuff became boring and listless.

I only wish the drugs hadn't sapped Jerry's spirit so often over the years...
Tim in St. Louis

Postby Amadeu » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:53 pm

Great Balls of Fire Movie.My brotherdid recommend me this and I'm very grateful to him.
Amadeu

Postby jayhawks » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:36 pm

i saw the movie "Breathless" with richard gere directed by jim mc bride.

gere riding in a stolen porsche, playing a JERRY LEE LEWIS- cassette was brilliant (at least imo)...

the last scene shows gere singing "Breathless" acapella while he was shoot death by the police...

THAT brought me to THE KILLER!! 8)
I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

Postby Piet » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:53 pm

Piet wrote:Nothing new as in my first story, when I found Els, I found my muse AND music. :thumbsup

On Els her part, she was a big "Cliff Richard" fan, big posters on her bedroomdoor (before my time) and one Sunday she was watching RTBF (French speaking Belguim TV channel) and saw this blond man behind a white piano and she was hooked.
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby Tumppi » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:13 pm

It was when I was about 7-10 years old in late 1980's when I saw Jerry Lee on TV. I remember that my mother said something like "could this really be Jerry Lee Lewis, he sure did not look like that in 1950's". And I remember that he did some very fast song and I liked the way he played, but it tooked few years after that before I really got interested about JLL.
Tumppi

Next

Return to Archive