Jerry Lee Lewis: Lost and Found - out next week!

Jerry Lee Lewis: Lost and Found - out next week!

Postby Joe » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:54 pm

Continuum Books is now accepting pre-order for Jerry Lee Lewis: Lost and Found which will be published in November:

http://www.continuumbooks.com/books/det ... Url=150580

You can also pre-order at Amazon.

Thanks!
Joe
Joe

Postby Andrew McRae » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:19 pm

I'm really looking forward to reading this, Joe - I'm sure that it will be a real treat.

Whilst the cover mock-up is an improvement on the previous version, which took a little bit of flack on this forum, couldn't you persuade the designers to print Jerry Lee's name as "Jerry Lee ... Lewis" instead of "Jerry ... Lee Lewis" as it appears here? It always rankles with me to see it written in such a way as to imply that his surname is "Lee Lewis" (worse still when people who should know better actually refer to him in speech by that name!) This spurious approach has ruined many a DVD cover in the recent past (and one or two album sleeves going back many years)

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby Andrew McRae » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:03 am

...here's a particularly crass example of what I'm on about! Yuk!
Andrew McRae

Postby Amadeu » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:18 am

And Why dont a photo from the sixties with a Jerry wild . The cover photo has been seen million of times.
Amadeu

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:34 am

Amadeu wrote:And Why dont a photo from the sixties with a Jerry wild . The cover photo has been seen million of times.

I don't think it has to be a "wild" photo (or even an onstage photo), but I agree that a circa 1964 photo would be preferable.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:57 am

Are there any reviews or overviews of this book yet? Thanks.
Tim in St. Louis

Cover design

Postby martin bates » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:02 pm

"Bonomo brings Jerry Lee Lewis to life in new and fascinating ways".

I agree with the other comments about this book...I'm really looking forward to it.....but that cover doesn't tell us anything than it looks like a standard 50s retrospective. A rare or interesting photo (as Peter says,not necesarily a 'wild' shot) could set the book apart.

I particularly agree with Andrew regarding the presentation of the name 'Jerry Lee' Lewis

Martin.
martin bates

Re: Cover design

Postby Andrew McRae » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:01 am

martin bates wrote:"Bonomo brings Jerry Lee Lewis to life in new and fascinating ways".

I agree with the other comments about this book...I'm really looking forward to it.....but that cover doesn't tell us anything than it looks like a standard 50s retrospective. A rare or interesting photo (as Peter says,not necesarily a 'wild' shot) could set the book apart.

I particularly agree with Andrew regarding the presentation of the name 'Jerry Lee' Lewis

Martin.

It occurs to me that we have the answer to this 'dilemma' on this Forum - there is plenty of expertise in designing superb looking DVD covers; Nicholaas (?) - maybe you could put together something more appropriate!

If Joe and/or the publishers aren't interested then, providing that the book is printed with a conventional dust-wrapper, we could always junk the 'official' version and give the book the appearance it deserves by printing off the 'Forum' edit. Let's just hope it's not a laminated board cover!

The irony is that some design house is probably being paid a small fortune by the publisher to do this substandard work, when they could get something much better here for free....

Andrew

PS Joe - no offence, if this cover represents your own endeavours! But, please, either get your publisher consider to this appeal, and /or accept that your very considerable expertise is in writing, not graphic design!!
Andrew McRae

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:26 am

I proof-read the book a while back, & I can assure everyone that the contents are far superior to the cover! Extremely well-written & researched, I think most people here will love it.
peterchecksfield

Postby Piet » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:34 am

peterchecksfield wrote:I proof-read the book a while back, & I can assure everyone that the contents are far superior to the cover! Extremely well-written & researched, I think most people here will love it.

Now we know why you're the expert, you get the news at first hand :twisted:
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:26 am

Fortunately Joe had the sense & lack of ego to show it to someone who knows what they're talking about prior to publication. If only Linda Gail Lewis & Charles White had done the same thing with their books... :roll:

Let's hope that J.W. Brown has found a good co-writer or proof-reader for his forthcoming book (I'm not going to volunteer for that one though as I don't like getting too involved with that family).
peterchecksfield

Postby Tony Papard » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:13 am

peterchecksfield wrote:I proof-read the book a while back, & I can assure everyone that the contents are far superior to the cover! Extremely well-written & researched, I think most people here will love it.

I look forward to reading the book. But yes, it should definitely have a 1960s photo of Jerry on the cover. One from the Star-Club in 1964 would be ideal, since that particular album is one focus of the book, or indeed one from the late 1960s when he was getting big hits again in the Country field.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Dirk B. » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:25 pm

As Bo Diddley sang: "You can't judge a book by looking at the cover"
Dirk B.

Postby Amadeu » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:08 pm

Dirk B. wrote:As Bo Diddley sang: "You can't judge a book by looking at the cover"

Yes, but there are many people that will look at the cover and say: "More of the same..scandal tour,etc etc.."
Amadeu

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:35 pm

Amadeu wrote:
Yes, but there are many people that will look at the cover and say: "More of the same..scandal tour,etc etc.."

Well it would be a very strange book on Jerry Lee Lewis if it didn't mention all this, but of course a book needs to add much more besides, & this one does.
peterchecksfield

Next

Return to Archive