Jerry Lee Lewis: Lost and Found Book

Postby Andrew McRae » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:44 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Andrew McRae wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:Actually Joe isn't quite as dismissive of 'Soul My Way' as many are, but yes, I still prefer Jerry's performance on the 1963 recut of 'Breathless' to the Sun version despite the backing (I also probably prefer the 1963 version of 'You Win Again' to the 1957 single).

.. so ignorant of contemporary musical styles that it may as well have been a comedy album. "Please welcome: The Woefully-Out-of-Touch.."

Jeez... what on earth have others been saying to slag it off then! :wink:

Yes, but he also (more or less) praises some of the better tracks ('Turn On Your Lovelight', 'It's A Hang Up Baby', 'Treat Her Right', 'Betcha Gonna Like It').

Fair enough! And anyone who didn't recognise those recordings as praiseworthy would certainly get into an argument with me!

I seem to recall that 'Soul My Way' did get pretty favourable contemporaneous reviews in the UK music press.. (Melody Maker?) - whilst, ironically, the next album perhaps wasn't so well received here on first release!

:D
Andrew McRae

Postby Dallas » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:07 pm

(2) Joe's opinions are refreshingly different from most other writers (I don't think many would praise the 1962 cut of 'Be-Bop-A-Lula' over the 1964 studio cut of 'I'm On Fire' but I'm still delighted to read that someone thinks that!).

Interesting. Gutterman praises the 1962 cut of Be-Bop-A-Lula and I have always considered this as one of the Sun Classics. It is just great, with lovely bluesy piano and such a sexy groove!!!

I am not a big fan of the studio cut of I'm on Fire - I prefer the Radio broadcast or the Starclub version that only exists in my head!

Where can I buy the book - I keep looking at Amazon.

Cheers

Chris
Dallas

Postby martin bates » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Dallas wrote:Where can I buy the book - I keep looking at Amazon.

Cheers

Chris

It's on Amazon ......
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_0_6 ... fix=jerry+
martin bates

Postby rockin532000 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:17 pm

I finished reading the book a couple of weeks ago already and have to admit that I was disappointed, not just because Joe does not like many songs from 63/64 area (I guess that's just a matter of musical taste) but more importantly Jerry encompasses for me much more than just this live record or the years 57/58.

However, after I have finished this one I went back to Jimmy Guterman's book, of which I thought, when I read it the first time in 1992, it is quite good. This time, however, I was overwhelmingly disappointed by it. Not only are there only two dozen songs he really likes, you are wondering even why in the hell he has ever written a book about an artist which can be, based on his book, minimized to 20 songs and 3 longplay albums.

And in re-reading Guterman's book I started to more and more appreciate Joe's efforts. The only improvement for me would be a book about Jerry's music starting in 52 and ending today with the same push and effort Joe has put into the Star Club record.

Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby Joe » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:05 pm

I'm sure you all have seen this funny quote in the Esquire interview: "I never thought about writing a book. Everybody else has written one. But one day I'll write the real truth down—the real truth. Then I'll go to the penitentiary." We're waiting.

I should say here that my book was envisioned as part of a series of books at Continuum that looks at a few specific years--ie, a small window--of a R&R founding father's career. (The other is David Kirby's Little Richard's book.) I chose the Star-Club album because it's one of Lewis' greatest and because that part of his career (mid 60s, reduced status in America, Beatlemania on the rise,etc) is so interesting to me, especially in light of his resurgence at the end of the decade.

Sometime I'd like to write more in-depth about his later albums.
Joe

Postby Piet » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:28 pm

No, I've not read the book yet, still waiting for it's delivery but I'm happy to read these comments.
I understand Joe's writing about the "Star-club" record and talks about his favorite Jerry Lee songs and he gives his own personal view.
I always told everyone that music is something different and privat for everyone, for example, I like the country-sound and Els loved the R'nRoll music, now I don't know Joe's age but I believe you had to live true that music area yourself to be a good judge abot those things, of course you can compare those old records to newer, standard songs but you can't make up your mind well enough by listen to those old records.
I've seen lots of shows, if I had to judge Jerry by his latest tours I have to admit that he's no longer the wild man we saw in 1972.
I have to add that is is realy important to be there as a fan in those years we've talking about, like Tony for example, to witness and live the trill of those records when they were released, we were happy with all the records that came our way and, as usual, some songs on an album did make it to get enough songs on the album but putting on that particulary album on the record-player (and often it stayed there for a month or so) you started to sing along every song and even liked the songs you didn't liked in the beginning.
Nowedays with those high-class playing machines you can easely skip the songs you don't like, just listen to the preferd tracks
Writing a book is the same, you write down your own opinion and can't expect everyone to agree, we (members) have all our own point of view on Jerry, one likes this, the other likes the opposite, my opinion is that writers are just being writers, they search for an object to write about, dig into old archives, talks to friend/fans and write down their opinion.
Producers do the same, they put out records what they believe will be succesfull, they also have the connections to the D.J.'s who are respansible for the airplay.
At last WE, the fans are the ones who pay for it all, thanks to the producers and, in this case, the writer(s) who get paid by the ones that brings in the money, we get albums with songs we may not like in the first place, we disagree with others true fans about it, I guess the same happens with this book, lets say it's another well spend money at the end of the year, hope to get the book soon but I expect not to be surprised by it.
So far for a Sunday afternoon.
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:57 pm

I finished the book today, and have mixed feelings about it.

The good thing is that it takes off where the movie 'Great Balls of Fire' left off, and concentrates on the 1960s in particular, and his return to the charts as a Country hitmaker.

It is, however, written very much from Joe's personal standpoint, so there's quite a bit of stuff about how he came to hear Jerry's music, and mentioning a lot of other artists who mean nothing to me whatsoever, some I've never even heard of.

Inevitably with a book of this kind conveying personal opinions, I found myself disagreeing with a lot of Joe's comments about various albums and singles tracks.

The 1970s and later are dealt with only sketchily, but the important things are mentioned. However I didn't get the impression from reading it that Jerry had Top Twenty Country Hits every year 1968-1981 inclusive, but of course he did.

Refreshing, however, to read a book concentrating on Jerry's music rather than his personal life.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:51 pm

Piet wrote:I've seen lots of shows, if I had to judge Jerry by his latest tours I have to admit that he's no longer the wild man we saw in 1972.

In 1972 they were saying that he wasn't as wild as he used to be. So people like Kay Martin could say the same thing about you Piet.
peterchecksfield

Postby Piet » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:55 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
Piet wrote:I've seen lots of shows, if I had to judge Jerry by his latest tours I have to admit that he's no longer the wild man we saw in 1972.

In 1972 they were saying that he wasn't as wild as he used to be. So people like Kay Martin could say the same thing about you Piet.

I don't think we can say the same about Kay :roll: :lol: :oops:
Piet

My Amazon.com review of Joe Bonomo's new JLL book

Postby demografx » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:49 pm

[My posted review of J. Bonomo book at Amazon customer reviews]

Delighted to Find: "Lost and Found" !, December 23, 2009

"Jerry Lee Lewis: Lost and Found"

"With a teenage background as a 1960's NYC rock and roll pianoplayer, my personal obsession with JLL music had as its "Nazareth" an intense focus on his '60's live album "The Greatest Live Show On Earth", from a Birmingham, Alabama JLL concert.

Mr. Bonomo's superb book has shifted my "JLL geopolitical center" from Birmingham, Alabama to....Hamburg, Germany! (The home city of 'The Star Club'). I had always been enamored, even owned and repeatedly played the Star Club performance (audiocassette), but never thought of Hamburg, Germany as "The '60's Holy Grail of JLL".

Until now.

Mr. Bonomo writes an absolutely fascinating perspective that opened my eyes to the supreme importance of the myriad influences that created the incredible magic of this great book, "Jerry Lee Lewis: Lost and Found": The Beatles' and other British (what could these 'foreigners' possibly ever, ever REALLY know about rock and roll????) outrageous invasion and hostile takeover of the rockin' world; JLL's determination to NEVER succumb to the tabloid-style career-destroying castigation of JLL and his infamous teen-cousin marriage (now the British even have supreme knowledge of True Love????. The only (slightly) unkind word I'll now add is that it doesn't EVER help to be an aging and chubby rocker.

Mr. Bonomo, I salute you as the best writer on JLL!

And I've read it A L L ! (Books, magazines, videos, film, etc., that are all about one of my lifelong "piano teachers"!)

Please accept my most sincere congratulations. "
demografx

Postby wolfgangguhl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:07 pm

I read it now as well. I must say it was a pleasant read. Sure Joe tells things from his own perspective, but he does so in a very honest and entertaining way. I sure do not agree with all his observations, but at least they provoke discussion.

One thing I did not like was that he quoted Frankie Jean. Frankie Jean should not be quoted in any serious book. She is as unreliable as a source as it can get.

Overall a good book, but my favourites remain "Hellfire" and "The Ferriday Fireball". Joe's book is a must-have for fans though.
wolfgangguhl

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Image :wink:
peterchecksfield

Postby Piet » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:15 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:Image :wink:

More boobs, less book please :P
Piet

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:19 pm

Piet wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:Image :wink: