Jerry Lee Lewis: Lost and Found Book

Re: forthcoming book on Jerry Lee Lewis

Postby thrund » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:33 am

Joe wrote:Hi all:

I'm Joe Bonomo, author of Sweat: The Story Of The Fleshtones, America's Garage Band. I'm writing a book about Jerry Lee Lewis for Continuum Books, focusing on a few years in Lewis' career, specifically the mid-60s and the Live at The Star-Club album. I will lead up to that album and document his success afterwards, but at this early point I'm researching the Star-Club album and tour.

To that end, I'd be very grateful to hear from anyone on this list who has information about that album/tour (beyond the already-issued liner notes and brief mentions of the album in other books) or the show itself. I'm in contact with Nashville Teens, and would love to speak to anyone else who was at the show or otherwise associated with the show and/or the album. This forum looks like a great place to start! I'd appreciate even vague leads!

Thanks in advance.

Joe Bonomo
joe.bonomo@yahoo.com

Hi Joe,
for Starclub infos and pics is the best (I think) the german Killer page www.jerryleelewis.de and if you have special questions is the best you ask
the page owner Michy Westphal, he is a friend of the former owner of the Starclub Horst Fascher.
thrund

Postby Joe » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:48 pm

Thank you!

Joe
Joe

Postby thrund » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:07 pm

Joe wrote:Thank you!

Joe

Not for that. Good luck.
See you.
thrund

Postby Perk » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:56 pm

I'm Joe Bonomo, author of Sweat: The Story Of The Fleshtones, America's Garage Band. I'm writing a book about Jerry Lee Lewis for Continuum Books, focusing on a few years in Lewis' career, specifically the mid-60s and the Live at The Star-Club album. I will lead up to that album and document his success afterwards, but at this early point I'm researching the Star-Club album and tour.

To that end, I'd be very grateful to hear from anyone on this list who has information about that album/tour (beyond the already-issued liner notes and brief mentions of the album in other books) or the show itself. I'm in contact with Nashville Teens, and would love to speak to anyone else who was at the show or otherwise associated with the show and/or the album. This forum looks like a great place to start! I'd appreciate even vague leads!

Thanks in advance.

Joe Bonomo
joe.bonomo@yahoo.com

That´s a good idea to focus on a period in the 60´s. I personally have always felt that most books or movie documentaries seems to cover the 50´s pretty well. But then comes the quick jumps!

There are some people around here and on Yahoo forum who REALLY knows the 60´s. They are friends to me, and many others on here, so i let them speak for themselfs if they are interested. As i´m sure they read your request for information.

Also check out the archives on Yahoo and you´ll find lots of interesting stuff on Star Club.

Good luck Joe!!!

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:02 am

Have you decided exactly what your starting point will be (the '58 scandal? The 1960 release of 'The Hawk? The success of 'What'd I Say' in 1961? The 1962 U.K. 'comeback' tour? The signing with Smash in 1963?), & the ending point (presumably 'Catch My Soul' & the 1968 country success?).

You may or may not be aware, but Jerry did 5 major U.K. / European tours during the 60s:

1964 (twice)

Although the Star Club album was recorded during the first 1964 Tour, he performed more Star Club shows in 1963.

Lastly, I believe 'The Greatest Live Show On Earth' would make a far more interesting book than The Star Club...

http://www.topfreeforum.com/jerryleelew ... ryleelewis
peterchecksfield

Postby Andrew McRae » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:47 am

Lastly, I believe 'The Greatest Live Show On Earth' would make a far more interesting book than The Star Club...

I agree with Peter, albeit the most satisfactory approach might perhaps be a 'compare and contrast' exercise relating to both shows and the context in which each of them took place.

It still might be hard to top my favourite ever reviews /analysis of the two 1964 shows, which appeared in print (can't remember where) many years ago, viz

"The Greatest Live Show On Earth" ... It is

"Live At The Star Club, Hamburg" ... Even better

For many that is enough said. But I've always thought that a good writer could really make something special out of Jerry's story centered on these two albums.

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby Joe » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:11 pm

I will def be exploring each of his mid 60s live albums, but focusing on the Star-Club album for reasons that will be clear in the book.
Joe

Article on Joe

Postby bailbath » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:43 am

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/cour ... S1.article
Author chronicles 'best band you never heard of'

November 4, 2007
BY MIKE DANAHEY STAFF WRITER

Hope to die before you get old. Better to burn out than fade away. It's all about the Benjamins.

Joe Bonomo knows a band that shows just how ridiculous those rock 'n' roll cliches are, a band that defines success on its own terms. Bonomo, an English instructor at Northern Illinois University, chronicles that raucous act in Sweat: The Story of the Fleshtones, America's Garage Band (Continuum Books).

"They love doing what they do. They enjoy bringing or creating believers out of the stubborn dozens. They've been laughed at more than lauded, to be honest about it, and it's been embarrassing for them at times, but there is a fierce stubbornness about them," said Bonomo.

That the band, like most, never made it big, makes his book a necessary read for anyone starting up an act, Bonomo said.

While the members now have day jobs, they still believe there is something timeless and eternal about being in a band, no matter how old you are. They also believe that if they stop playing, they would stop existing. At the same time, the band sees itself as a tonic for staid America and is serious about not being serious, Bonomo noted.

The Fleshtones have been together since the mid-1970s, playing their own Bacchanal brand of rhythm & blues based rock. While no album or song has charted higher than No. 174 (with the 1982 album Roman Gods ), they have not had an inactive year since forming, Bonomo said, and the group still does a couple of hundred shows a year.

The Fleshtones' debut performance was in 1976 at the legendary CBGB in New York's seedy Bowery. The club launched many a career, including the Ramones, Blondie and Talking Heads. But Bonomo said the Fleshtones' sound, which the band calls "super rock," never really fit in with the punk and new wave of the day.

The Fleshtones were and are more of a dance band into then-out-of-fashion '50s and '60s music. The band actually had quite a following in the New York area and along the East Coast before being signed to IRS Records (one-time label of REM and the Go-Gos, among others).

Bonomo first saw the Fleshtones at a club in Washington, D.C., in 1983 and fell for the act from the get-go.

"They blew me away. Their energy was other-worldly, a different force, really. Their R&B-based rock was fun and funny. They were a tight band, and when they hit the stage the party began," he recalled.

In the late 1990s, the band's perseverance struck a chord with Bonomo, and from 2000 through 2004 Bonomo headed to New York each summer to interview Fleshtones members and others tied to the tale. In 2001, he hit the road with the group for a 25th anniversary tour of the Rust Belt, which was insightful and anything but glamorous.

"I learned of the concessions and compromises they made to still play. After 25 years, they were still sleeping on floors, or two to a bed, or on apartment floors. And I wondered, how many bands would still do this after all these years," said Bonomo, who also provided the liner notes for the recent European release, Vindicated: A Tribute To The Fleshtones. While the band has toned down its partying over the years, members still succumbed to the stereotypical excesses of rock 'n' roll life. And saxophone player Gordon Spaeth, who battled drugs, booze and depression, took his own life in 2005.

Getting his book about the Fleshtones to press was in ways a similar experience to the band's, meaning it took more than a bit of wherewithal to get it published.

"Their story was not quite cult enough to be sexy," said Bonomo. But Fleshtones front man Peter Zaremba told him to take a page from the tale, follow his passion and stick to getting the work to print.

The author also has a book of "prose sketches" called Installations that will be out next year. And he's been commissioned by Continuum Books to write a book at one of the original rock 'n' roll bad boy mess-ups, Jerry Lee Lewis.

"It's about what they call his Wilderness Years, the period in the early-1960s," said Bonomo. That's the stage when Lewis' career bottomed out, due in part to changing tastes, plus the fact he had been married to his 13-year-old cousin.

Yet it also was a time when Lewis recorded Live at the Star Club, Hamburg, which many critics call a seminal live album. The book will ask the question of how did he get here. And in ways it parallels the lessons of The Fleshtones, noted Bonomo. Unfortunately, Lewis won't talk to him for the project.
bailbath

Site Admin

Re: Article on Joe

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:44 am

bailbath wrote: Unfortunately, Lewis won't talk to him for the project.[/b]

Barry Jenkins probably will though! He lived near me a few years ago.

And I'm sure both Buck & Tarp would talk about The Greatest Live Show On Earth.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tim in St. Louis » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:04 am

I've always thought the logical jumping off point for a (better) JLL movie would be the night he broke all the rules in his one and only appearance at the Ryman (Grand Ole Opry). And with that, I'm conflicted. He's obviously not the monster some would say, to the contrary. From the stories, it sounds like he was incredibly open and accessable with the fans in this time period.

But for Hollywood purposes, the story is pauper King to pauper, long sturggle to top of the heap - only to throw it all away again at the hands of his own demons by thumbing his nose at the establishment again. To me, real or not, that's the story that would capture the imagination and sell.

So any recent news on this dude's book?
Tim in St. Louis

Postby Rocker » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:29 pm

Tim in St. Louis wrote:I've always thought the logical jumping off point for a (better) JLL movie would be the night he broke all the rules in his one and only appearance at the Ryman (Grand Ole Opry).

What happened? Sorry, but I don't know that much about JLL's carrer yet
Rocker

Postby Perk » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:49 am

Rocker wrote:
Tim in St. Louis wrote:I've always thought the logical jumping off point for a (better) JLL movie would be the night he broke all the rules in his one and only appearance at the Ryman (Grand Ole Opry).

As it says in a book, Jerry was to promise to not swear on stage, and play only country songs, then he would be allowed to play the Grand Old Opry at the Ryman Theatre. He didn´t and played lots of rock songs. Then Grand Old Opry closed down a year later.

Perk
Perk

Postby Rocker » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Perk wrote:
Rocker wrote:

As it says in a book, Jerry was to promise to not swear on stage, and play only country songs, then he would be allowed to play the Grand Old Opry at the Ryman Theatre. He didn´t and played lots of rock songs. Then Grand Old Opry closed down a year later.

Perk

Allright ! Thank you.
Rocker

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:35 pm

I've been fortunate enough to have a sneak preview of this (nearly finished) book, & you are all in for a TREAT!!! I had faith that Joe would do a good job after reading the reviews of his other books by fans (via Amazon), & we all know that real fans can be the most critical...but Joe's research & writing are first class, & he's had some great exclusive interviews with many people involved with his 60s career! Sadly the Lewises refused any requests for an interview (typically they don't know a good thing when they see one or only think of how much money they can make), though to be honest I doubt if even an exclusive interview with Jerry could add much as The Killer isn't the most reliable of witnesses to his own career...

Anyway, at long last we'll have another JLL book available soon, & this will be without a doubt the most factually correct & (along with Tosches' & Palmers') the most well-written! :shock: 8) :D
peterchecksfield

Postby jayhawks » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:33 am

...that sounds pretty good to me! :P
I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

Next

Return to Archive