Piet's stories

Postby Logan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:07 am

Piet wrote:Hey guys,

Today I decided to travel with Wim and Freddy to the show in Amsterdam, I hope to see some familiar faces, don't know who's going but I know Martin and Monica will be there among the others, hope we'll have a good time.

Have fun hope to read another story :)
Logan

Postby martin bates » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:49 pm

Logan wrote:
Piet wrote:Hey guys,

Today I decided to travel with Wim and Freddy to the show in Amsterdam, I hope to see some familiar faces, don't know who's going but I know Martin and Monica will be there among the others, hope we'll have a good time.

Have fun hope to read another story :)

I'm glad you decide to come Piet,good to see you again.

Martin.
martin bates

Postby Piet » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks Martin, it was good to see those familiar faces again and I didn't regret to go and see the show.
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby Maarten K. » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:24 am

Piet, will you be sharing your (backstage) stories with us, like with the other tours? Via Firemail Ball of through this forum?

I hope you kept the tradition alive of taking a backstage pic of Jerry Lee.

Too bad I didn't see you at the show. Were you in the room or watching from the side of the stage?
Maarten K.

Postby Piet » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:40 am

Maarten K. wrote:Piet, will you be sharing your (backstage) stories with us, like with the other tours? Via Firemail Ball of through this forum?

I hope you kept the tradition alive of taking a backstage pic of Jerry Lee.

Too bad I didn't see you at the show. Were you in the room or watching from the side of the stage?

Hello Maarten,
I was looking for you before the show, I was both behind the stage but also went with Phoebe in the audience and for all you guys....

Piet

Postby Maarten K. » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 pm

Too bad we missed each other, Piet.

I was right at the front of the stage from when the room opened. I expected you at the stage during the show. Just like in Tilburg. I did see Phoebe on stage (with white coat) but didn't see either of you in the hall. But of course my main focus was on the stage. And on the security guys...... :wink:

Maybe next year!
Maarten K.

Postby Piet » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:11 pm

Maarten K. wrote:Too bad we missed each other, Piet.

I was right at the front of the stage from when the room opened. I expected you at the stage during the show. Just like in Tilburg. I did see Phoebe on stage (with white coat) but didn't see either of you in the hall. But of course my main focus was on the stage. And on the security guys...... :wink:

Maybe next year!

I didn't go on stage as I watch Jerry standing beside the side of the stage, would be a little to obvious to go on stage, Phoebe wanted to shoot a picture of Jerry kicking the stool back.
I will write my story as usual for this forum first.
Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:07 pm

Part 84. Amsterdam 09-11-2010

When I heard Jerry was sick and cancelled the summer tour I was happy, I previous decided to take a roundtrip to Scandinavia and visit the Nordkaap while touring thru Germany-Sweden, Finland and Norway just when Jerry was visiting Europe again and gladly they changed the dates for November so I went on that long trip of 8000 km in those beautiful countries, something we’ve always wanted to do once we both were retired. When I came back I had to go to the doctor who send me directly to the hospital because of heart failure-problems, something I didn’t expect myself, I was just tired, too tired to walk for only 100meters. The cardiologist decided to keep me in the hospital to make sure they could watch me day and night, this was a new experience for me as I never been hospitalized before and they kept me for a week before they send me home with a lot of medication. When the tour was going to start off I still was wondering if I would go as the spirit was gone, my illness had more impact then I suspected and I was afraid that, seeing Jerry, Phoebe and all those others again would be another attack on my heart again and I didn’t want go there again but as Wim started to call, the itch came back and maybe this was the last time I could see my friends again, we all get older and all kinds of things could happen, so I agreed and while Wim had been to Antwerp and didn’t succeed to get back-stage to have a talk with Jerry I was more convinced I had to step in and make sure this would not happen in Amsterdam , it would be a shame that the man who runs the Jerry Lee Lewis fanclub for over 47 years wouldn’t be allowed to have a little conversation with Jerry. When it was the day of the show, Tuesday 9th November 2010 Wim and Freddy came over to my house to pick me up and we arrived at the venue around 16.00hr. just before the tour bus did the same and we could shake hands with Kenny, B.B, Buck and Robert and together we went to their dressing room, as they had to do the sound-check right away we all went to the hall to find more fans waiting there, Peter Haymen and Pam of course and Martin and Monica came walking in a little later. After the sound check it was time for some food and we all went to a nice restaurant just across the hall and while we were eating we saw the line-up getting longer and longer by the minute, a by the time we finished the doors had opened and we could mix between the fans but most of them had already taken their places in front of the stage, we’ve met Niek and his father with some friends and just as they told me that Inigo from Spain stayed over at their house for some nights and he had to be around somewhere he rushed over and a warm welcome followed. When we decided to go and see if Jerry had arrived we saw J.W. walking around and the first thing he said was:”Hey Piet, Phoebe will be so happy to see you, come on” and we started our way to the dressing rooms again and after a knock on the door the three of us entered Jerry’s room, Wim first, followed by Freddy and I was the last, Jerry was sitting on the couch next to a woman and Phoebe was on the other side, looking on her laptop but when she noticed me she jumped up and hugged me if there wasn’t no tomorrow, she wanted to know all about me and after 5 minutes I realized I still hadn’t said hello to Jerry, I went over and shook his hand and excused me for being not so polite but he laughed and said he understood because Phoebe had talked about me for a while with him because she was afraid she wouldn’t see me at all. The lady next to Jerry stood up and introduced herself as Judith, she had heard so much about Els and me and she was happy to meet me, it turned out this was the wife of Rusty Brown and an aunt from Phoebe, she helps Jerry and Phoebe a lot at the ranch, giving Phoebe a little more time to handle the business and she came with them on this short tour. After a while we left the room so Jerry could prepare himself and because Phoebe wanted to smoke we went to the smoking area where we had the time for our private conversation, mostly about Els and, as she told me, there wasn’t a day gone by without thinking of Els but she also wanted to know about our children and grandchildren, I had to promise to send the newest photo’s of them. Then it was time for Jerry to do his show, after he started Phoebe came down the stage and stood by me and we walked into the audience to get an impression of the crowd and she wanted to take some pictures afterwards we went back to the side of the stage where we did some fooling around of making pictures from ourselves. To soon Jerry started with his last two numbers and she went on stage to get a shot of Jerry kickin’ the stool back as she didn’t had one yet. After Jerry left the stage I walked with them to the limo that was waiting inside and after I told Jerry goodbye I had to say goodbye to my good friend Phoebe also, she’s indeed my friend for the rest of our life, she carries Els still in her heart as I could tell from all the lovely words she’d spoken about this wonderful fan of her father but most important, this very precious friend of her…….

To be continued....???

Last edited by Piet on Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Piet

Postby bailbath » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks Piet a tour is not the same without one of your stories!
Ian 8)
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Logan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:52 pm

To be continued....???

I hope so your story's are so great to read :) thank you for each one of them
Logan

Postby thrund » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:54 pm

Thanks a lot for your post....I missed it a lot!

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby Maarten K. » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:42 am

This was one hell of a show. I remember being totally blown away afterwards.
Maarten K.

Postby Piet » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:06 pm

Maarten K. wrote:This was one hell of a show. I remember being totally blown away afterwards.

That's why I couldn't find you :roll: :cry:
Piet

Re: Piet's stories

Postby PeterC » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:08 pm

I was re-reading Piet's 2009 report in the current issue of Fire-Ball Mail today, and it's amazing just how much has changed. B.B. Cunningham, Duke Danger, Cecil (and of course Els) are no longer with us; Jerry & Phoebe are barely speaking and both married; there was no talk of farewell shows, with this being just another European tour (indeed there was another European tour in 2010); he wasn't quite the last man standing as both Richard and Chuck were still also doing shows.
PeterC

Re: Piet's stories

Postby Piet » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:12 pm

Peter, I guess you mean the 2007 report because that story is in the FBM. :lol:
Yes a lot has chanced in many ways. Also Ans de Boer passed away and a few months later Henk van Raaij, also somebody who did a lot for the fanclub. Newer fans may not know him but only heard from him in my stories.
He was the vice-president of the fanclub who had many contacts around the world.
As we all getting older we loose some dear friends along the way but they will never be forgotten.
Piet

PreviousNext

Return to Archive