Piet's stories

Postby wolfgangguhl » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:42 pm

Piet wrote:I tried to get him to do “Another Place, Another Time” but he didn’t give the same answer as we always get from him, this time he said: “I don’t think I can do that song tonight, Piet” , knowing he had to stick to his set list.

So has he been forced to play only songs from the set list? :shock:
wolfgangguhl

Postby Piet » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:55 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:
Piet wrote:I tried to get him to do “Another Place, Another Time” but he didn’t give the same answer as we always get from him, this time he said: “I don’t think I can do that song tonight, Piet” , knowing he had to stick to his set list.

So has he been forced to play only songs from the set list? :shock:

I don't know but, unlike most times, he didn't do my request, most of the times he would answer: "I might do that one tonight"!!
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:32 pm

Part 83. Amsterdam 25-11-2009

Before this last show in the famous “Paradiso” in Amsterdam, a club were Jerry did some great shows, I asked Edith if she wanted to join me on this trip, she accepted because she had some good memories on this place in 1994 when little Lee had his birthday-party and afterwards we spend quit some time in Jerry’s dressing room and later in his room at the American hotel and she didn’t had the chance to say hello to Phoebe at Rolf’s good protected show, not even we got the chance to say hello to our friend. The two of us left in the afternoon, Freddy and Jeroen had already left for Rotterdam to catch Jerry in his hotel but, knowing Jerry’s schedule, it was a journey without an successful end as “The Killer’ rarely get out of his room, only to get into the car to drive to the gig. Wim was also coming later so Edith and I were the first of the gang working our way into the venue, being there a lot in the past years it was easy to find our way in the catacombs of that old church. When the band arrived we said hello and talked a little bit with the guys, they were glad I brought Edith again and once again Kenny and B.B. told me how much she looked like Els, in every possible way. After the sound-check we went outside and there were Freddy and Jeroen, together we went across the street to grab some food and drinks, meanwhile watching the crowd getting bigger in front of the Paradiso club. While eating I saw Maarten Kroes walking by, I called him in for a cup of coffee and we talked for a while before he joined the row to be sure for a good place before the stage. Not long after that we saw some familiar faces walking by, B.B. Cunningham saw us sitting inside and he left the group to join us, without a doubt, he’s a very nice and gentle man, no wonder Els was so fond of him. After talking for a while and a hot choco for B.B. we all went into the Paradiso so he could get dressed for the last show of this tour. Wim de Boer had also arrived and we watched the numerous fans coming in, always nice to see those old friends again, most of the time we only meet once a year at the annual fanclub-meetings and everybody was anxious to know how the previous show had been. We only could tell the true story, same shows at every occasion, maybe one different song at each show but on auto pilot this whole tour, still there could be something in the air for tonight, knowing this was his last show of the tour but on the other hand, the show on the first of March 2004 was also the last show of that tour and Jerry quit after 35 minutes, you’ll never know with Jerry Lee Lewis. Since I knew Richard Harvey would be at the show I watched several people if they would describe the image of Richard that I have from his pictures, I was so much surprised to see him, we both saw eachother at the same time, finally we could meet face to face and it was a great start of the evening, it could only be getting better!! After the band opened the show it was time for Jerry’s last show in 2009, as it was to busy in the back-stage area we went into the audience and watch Jerry got an loud applause when he entered the stage before he run into 9th. time of “Down The Line” , followed by the 5th. “Drinkin’ Wine” but then it changed, Jerry did a great version of “Georgia On My Mind” it became clear he wasn’t quit on auto-pilot as we thought he was, also we got the idea that this time he would treat this audience on a great show, the previous songs were also played on high energy and, as I was watching Jerry from up above on the balcony, it was clear he enjoyed the people close to the stage, they could almost touch his feet, so close and they all reacted at his enthusiastic piano playing. Next came “Before The Night Is Over” and after a request for a coke he ran into “I Don’t Want To Be Lonely Tonight” with two fantastic piano solo’s and a guitar solo by Kenny, they sure had the place rocking tonight, the crowd cheered by every solo of the Killer!!! After “No Headstone” again a excellent Rock ‘n Roll tune “Rockin” My Live Away” again with two great energetic solo’s, the crowd went wild and already at this moment it was his best show of this tour, he played with so much power we didn’t notice before on the previous shows. “Trouble In Mind, Why Have You Been Gone So Long, C.C. Rider and Roll Over Beethoven” one after another in great style, the Killer was proving his little sister couldn’t outplace him yet, this was the real showmanship we’ve missed the last couple of years, no doubt about that. By the time we thought he would end his show there was “Mexicali Rose” again the crowd loved it, and so did I!!. He was almost playing for 45 minutes and finally he started with “Shakin’” followed by “Great Balls Of Fire” to leave the crowd breathless after 50 minutes, another great show in Holland, just like in the past it seems he like our country a lot because the experts agree he gave some of his finest shows in Holland. I rushed downstairs and outside the venue to watch the Killer step out of the venue to walk over to his waiting car, Edith managed to snap a picture while I thanked Jerry for this show, walked him to the waiting car and said goodbye to my dear friend Phoebe, we had plans to have dinner the next day but due to circumstances it didn’t happen but we will see eachother in the summer. As we went back inside we were gathered at the DIBA stand in the lobby to watch all the people coming out of the hall, all smiling from ear to ear and they all agree, it was once heck of a show. There was a (young) familiar looking guy standing close to us and I asked Wim if he knew who he was, he didn’t so I stepped up to him and when he said: ”Hi Piet” I asked him where he knew me from “Well, he said, we did a tour with Linda Gail” and the memory came back, next to him the other guys from “Chantilly Lace” (see part 58 ) and all of a sudden there was a friend I just met a couple of weeks ago, Mr. Bobby McGee was standing in front of me, he too was all smile after seeing this great show, he was not leaving yet, he went down in the basement to watch a band and have some more beers, after that he was going to Tilburg to see a famous Dutch band “The Earring” in 013, the same place Jerry rocked a few months before. It was getting late when Edith and I walked over to the car and drove back home knowing DIBA would bring Jerry back over in the summer of 2010, it made me realise it would turn into another decade of shows, after the shows in the 70th, 80th, 90th, 00th, this would be the 5th decade, also the first decade without my beloved wife Els, her spirit was present this night, all those times we saw Jerry in this Paradiso club or the American Hotel, it just wasn’t the same without her, let’s just pretend Jerry dedicated this show to her, his biggest female fan, Els my dear, we’ll never forget you, thanks to Jerry’s music and shows your memory will always be there!!

To be continued….

Last edited by Piet on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piet

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:34 am

Does this have to be sticky?
peterchecksfield

Postby fede4avar » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:20 pm

For me it is a pleasure to read your reviews about the concerts thanks Piet :D
fede4avar

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:37 pm

fede4avar wrote:For me it is a pleasure to read your reviews about the concerts thanks Piet :D

Me too! But still not sure that this need to be sticky, especially now the stories are being published in FBM.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tommy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:38 pm

So? It is a totally different website.
"Don't look at the clouds of tomorrow through the sunshine of today!"

Mick Jagger
Tommy

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:53 pm

Tommy wrote:So? It is a totally different website.

It's not a website, it's a magazine...
peterchecksfield

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:01 pm

Piet wrote:Image

Is that my plastic bag of Amsterdam hash??

Fantastic night. Love on 'ya Piet, hope to meet up again soon.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Piet » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:38 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:
Piet wrote:Image

Is that my plastic bag of Amsterdam hash??

Fantastic night. Love on 'ya Piet, hope to meet up again soon.

Haha, I was waiting for your reply Richard, you kept that bag very close so I thought it was either your money or hash!! :lol:
Let's wait for Ian's answer, I don't mind if it stays or goes as "sticky" I never put it that way, I guess Ian did it but it might be nice for the newbies as they don't have to surf on this forum.
It's at his end and we have to wait a couple of months for another part as Jerry returns to Europe again, it has been a great pleasure writing them and the fact that the members on this forum have enjoyed it so much, I wouldn't go so far as Ulli to proclaim me as famous as Jerry himself but it was an honour meeting so much of the forum members.

Thanks you all for your nice words etc. :oops: :oops:
Piet

Postby Tommy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:32 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
Tommy wrote:So? It is a totally different website.

It's not a website, it's a magazine...

Thought you meant the website.
"Don't look at the clouds of tomorrow through the sunshine of today!"

Mick Jagger
Tommy

Postby bailbath » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:43 am

We will make it sticky after the next episode!
8)
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:57 pm

Where is Piet? He hasn't posted anything on this forum in weeks, hope he's OK. :?
peterchecksfield

Postby Bobby McGee » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:58 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:Where is Piet? He hasn't posted anything on this forum in weeks, hope he's OK. :?

I wonder if I´ll see him in Peer for the JLL show? :roll:
Bobby McGee

Postby fede4avar » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:03 pm

but what happened to Piet not be felt for a long time :(
fede4avar

PreviousNext

Return to Archive