What professional recorded video material is available?

Postby Piet » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:40 am

Maarten K. wrote:
Piet wrote:I would call this bad to view (why I told somewhere else) but the sound is great, maybe it's better to close your eyes and listen :P

Did you and Els already got a change to take that walk down memory lane? I wonder if seeing the shows after all those years bring back memories you've forgotten. If so, please share with us.

Greetings to Els and I guess you're (unofficially) retired now?

Yes Maarten, first of all I'm official retired from 01-01-2009 but since the holidays started at 19-12 I'm home, and yes, at the beginning of the Bremen show you can spot Els and daughter Edith when Jerry enters the stage, they both dressed in the white Killer baseball shirts.
Els stayed in bed for the last weeks and so we didn't had the chance to watch all of them, hopefully we get the time in the coming weeks to enjoy them and you'll hear my opinion.
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby nicolaas » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:09 pm

Tell me Nicolaas & others, would you consider this "good" or "bad":

O would consider this bad too mate.

Maybe a good way to see if things are good or bad, you should put out the sound and than see if you can make out if its Jerry then its good, when you doubt if its Floyd Cramer or Fats Domino, than it's bad!

Have some good holidays y"all.

Greets,Nico
nicolaas

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:19 pm

nicolaas wrote:

Maybe a good way to see if things are good or bad, you should put out the sound and than see if you can make out if its Jerry then its good, when you doubt if its Floyd Cramer or Fats Domino, than it's bad!

OK, what about this one...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxl-Jn9foPY :oops:
peterchecksfield

Postby nicolaas » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:01 pm

Yep would consider this bad too. Or is it Fats Domino as on my screen (which is not too good) its in Jerry's words "black as the sea, oh yeah".

Fantastic version though! Really love it, so as an audio experience i give it a 9 (out of ten), and for the video a 1(out of ten).

My screen really is not too good, and maybe someone who has soem more knowledge on Jerry should do that.

Here is one i found via your youtube link i like a lot too:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ysqy-7EpE ... re=related

Its Ill Fly Away from Nashville1980
nicolaas

Postby bailbath » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:34 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
nicolaas wrote:

I wonder if there is a computer program to clear that video up a bit?
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:35 pm

bailbath wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
nicolaas wrote:

Ian

The brightness control on the TV works surprisingly well on this! 8)
peterchecksfield

Postby bailbath » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:49 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Ian

The brightness control on the TV works surprisingly well on this! 8)

HA HA HA :ROFL
Last edited by bailbath on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby nicolaas » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:07 pm

Hey Peter,

I got an idea.
Send me all your Jerry videomaterial and i will make the list :roll: :lol:

Greetz to all, Nico
nicolaas

Postby Tony Papard » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:39 am

bailbath wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
nicolaas wrote:

Ian

Seriously, I wondered this. Dalton, Ga was such a wonderful show, if only the picture could be made lighter. They can do wonders with computer technology nowadays. Everything must be in the video, it just needs enhancing somehow.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:51 am

You certainly could adjust the brightness on the material via video editing software. Most likely would also want to adjust the contrast slightly as well so that it doesn't look too washed out from the increase in brightness. All things you could do on your tv. Not sure there would be much that could be done judging from that clip as it is so dark.
jllWAfan1982

Postby Tony Papard » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:57 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:You certainly could adjust the brightness on the material via video editing software. Most likely would also want to adjust the contrast slightly as well so that it doesn't look too washed out from the increase in brightness. All things you could do on your tv. Not sure there would be much that could be done judging from that clip as it is so dark.

I was thinking of a process similar to colorizing of those old black and white films. But this would be expensive I guess.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:04 am

That would be enormously expensive and time consuming to do that, and I am not sure they would do that since it is already in color, though I suppose it would be a possibility. At any rate, I don't think that is likely to happen. If a professional studio was going to put some money into it, some more professional restoration of some kind could be done to improve it, but I don't think that would ever happen, and even then there probably would be a limit as to what could be done. A fan with a software could improve it by adjusting the brightness and contrast, perhaps some other tweaking, but I don't think it would be much better than what could be done by adjusting those settings on your own television set/computer monitor. i have two monitors on my computer, and the larger one has higher brightness, and it looks a lot better on that. The other one you can hardly make it out it is so dark.
jllWAfan1982

Postby nicolaas » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:38 am

To make a dark video lighter can be done and can work surprisingly well.
The image information is all there but its too dark. As Peter stated, you enhance the colors of your TV and its much better.
The same goes for pictures. When you have a dark picture you can make it lighter in for instance Photoshop and you can see the info is in the picture.
I work with Photoshop for over 10 years now, i work in the graphic business.

If someone wants me to give it a try just let me know.
nicolaas

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:52 am

Tony Papard wrote:
jllWAfan1982 wrote:You certainly could adjust the brightness on the material via video editing software. Most likely would also want to adjust the contrast slightly as well so that it doesn't look too washed out from the increase in brightness. All things you could do on your tv. Not sure there would be much that could be done judging from that clip as it is so dark.

I was thinking of a process similar to colorizing of those old black and white films. But this would be expensive I guess.

Sacrilege! I'd rather remove all the colour from my later videos.
peterchecksfield

Postby Maarten K. » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:59 am

I was quite surprised about the quality of the Dalton video. Bear in mind it was filmed 30 years ago! And with amateur equipment. There is recent material that is in much worse quality. Can't wait until I get the whole show as from first glance it looks very promising.
Maarten K.

PreviousNext

Return to Archive