Jerry to meet the press? Pre Euro tour 2008

Postby bailbath » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:10 am

Thanks Perk you put it in the right thread That was cool!!
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Piet » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:57 am

Thank you Perkie, although it looks more a Phoebe conference :P

Nice catch.
Piet

Postby rockin532000 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:23 pm

Many thanks indeed. Great find.

I was just wondering what the ring is on Jerry's left hand. Where I come from this could only mean one thing :?

Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby Tommy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:21 pm

That he´s engaged?
Tommy

Postby bailbath » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:29 pm

Perhaps now that he has lost some weight that ring only fits on that finger?
I know that one of my rings no longer fits now I have put some weight on.
It could be any ring not a engagement ring.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby bailbath » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:41 pm

bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Piet » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:03 pm

Who is that guy :!:
Piet

Postby martin bates » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:08 pm

bailbath wrote:Perhaps now that he has lost some weight that ring only fits on that finger?
I know that one of my rings no longer fits now I have put some weight on.
It could be any ring not a engagement ring.
Ian

I think Phoebe bought him a ring for his birthday, I'm sure I read it on yahoo.

Martin.
martin bates

Conference memories

Postby martin bates » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:57 pm

As i said a few days ago, I attended the press conference, so here's the way I remember it.....before a tape of the whole thing is posted & I lose my moment of glory ! - thanks for that clip Perk -there must be more out there.

This isn't the whole story as when I arrived at the hotel, Barrie G., John Pearce and later Graham Knight were interviewd by the press in the lobby. Rob & I went into another room where the press conference was about to start.In an adjacent room, Jerry was being interviewed prior to coming in to the press conference; Radio or TV - I don't know.
The room was set up with the piano at one end, chairs laid out in a traditional manner facing the table at the ther end of the room as you see in the clip posted. When Jerry came in,he posed for photos first-the idea it was said,to hit that evening's papers.He was extremely patient,looking in this direction & that as 20 or so were shouting his name for their shot.He played piano as he posed.Then he was joined by Phoebe for some pictures.It came to a halt when he said 'well that's enough pictures'.Walking then to the table at the head of the room,he asked Lee "did you want a picture taken", but Lee declined saying he 'd rather keep a low profile. Sitting next to Jerry was the conference organiser & he basically said ask whatever you want,just speak up in a clear manner. Jerry made a joke like "he means so that I will understand it". Phoebe then made the comment about Myra,but that clip is edited a bit & she said keep off politics as well, let's talk about music.JW. echoed that sentiment & mentioned the new CD. The first question was then about the new CD. Jerry said it was the best stuff he had ever recorded & there were some new Kris Kristofferson songs on it.Someone said were there duets/guests on it & he made the remark about Mick & Keith. He said that Steve Bing was behind it,so he didn't know who else might be on it; "maybe Marilyn Munroe - I'll be there for that !!" he joked. Was it a country album?
"Jerry Lee Lewis country" he said.
I didn't tape any of this or write it down- but i hung on every word; this is an approximation of the questions & answers I remember.
Who produced it ? Kris produced some,Neil Young other tracks.Phoebe said she co-produced some songs. I asked Phoebe quietly if Kris sang on it,but she said no. What was his favourite track on LMS ? JW and Phoebe tried to prompt as he struggled to think of a track ! Pink Cadillac ? "no I never cared for that !" he said & got a laugh. Phoebe suggested some lyrics,what was the song ? "A Cople More Years" I said - "yes that's the one". Stephen Ackles asked a few timely questions when things were slowing down,cleverly keeping the momentum going. One of Stephens was asking if Jerry would do a Christmas album. Jerry said he kept saying he would, and so one day he will. What was his favourite Christmas song ? "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer (big laugh) -best thing Gene Autry wrote(deadly serious!)" When asked about Linda Gail you can see he knows she's coming to London -even if no-one else does.You can here me in the clip telling Phoebe she's on the show on tuesday. Another reporter said Linda was playing in London that night (friday)....Stephen said that would be difficult as she was.....wherever she really was that night ! The same guy pressed Jerry about Bonnie B. and what a big hit it was in Sweden.Jerry said he may do it before the tour is over. (he must have been at the 100 Club !!) A question from me is in the clip -but you only hear the answer! I said did you enjoy recording with Kid Rock ? (getting the young crowd -geddit ?) Phoebe prompted Jerry saying he means Bobby (as they know the Kid), and then you hear his answer. What music do you listed to ? was greeted with the response - "my music!"
he then went on to talk about this great gadget that has hundreds of songs on it - "You have an I-pod ?" a smug type mocked. Phoebe said she lends Jerry hers. The same smug guy said how do you think the London audiance will react to your return !(yawn)...Jerry put him straight saying "I was here 3 years ago ,and it was great - why should it be any different now ?". I sought him out after & tactfully (honest) told him Jerry had been here many times since his first visit.He assured me he knew Jerry had been here 3 years ago - repeating Jerrys mistake. How do you spend your days ?..watching TV. was his answer! He made a joke saying on CNN it was all about the election; he didn't know what he'd do when it was over !Although they had been told to keep away from politics perhaps this gave someone the green light to ask if he had voted. JW steeered him away from answering but they agreed he had made an 'abstenee vote'. About 3 questions later,in response to a totally different question he brought the house down when he said "I voted for McCain!" Another question was Did You ever think of all the old rockers you would still be the Last man Standing ? JW had to rephrase the question a few times & Jerry was genuinely perplexed; basicaly saying "yes, of course I did". At one point Cecil was introduced (standing to the side), and explained how he & Jerry met in detention at school.Both sent for different 'offences' they became firm friends & Cecil gave him the nickname The Killer. Are you still the Killer -someone said ."I'm A Mean Old Man!" he replied ...."that's a song I just recorded !"

whew !! i think that's about it as far as I can recall;if anyone's still with me ! I'd love a recording or film if there's one out there !!??

Martin.
martin bates

Postby Huddie » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:03 pm

Perk wrote:There´s so many threads now, i have no idea where to post it. But this link came from Swedish fan Mattias, It´s a video of Jerry Lee at the press conference in London.

http://tv.daltid.se/dtplay.php?cs=dalti ... 19&id=3988

Great clip, sadly the Swedish speaker is talking over the clip. I would rather have heard more of what Jerry had to say.
Ironic Phoebe don't want Jerry to talk about Myra, but she's the one who mention her first. It have been better if a reporter did mention Myra, that she then would say that he won't answeer quístions about her.

- Jesper Kragh
Huddie

Postby Piet » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:10 pm

Huddie wrote:Ironic Phoebe don't want Jerry to talk about Myra, but she's the one who mention her first. It have been better if a reporter did mention Myra, that she then would say that he won't answeer quístions about her.
- Jesper Kragh

I think would like to prevent questions about the "13 year "old Myra", I know she always happy when Myra visits the ranch.
Piet

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:18 am

Tommy wrote:That he´s engaged?

It certainly seems strange that an unmarried man wears a ring on that finger, especially if it's one given him by his daughter for his birthday.

Though I believe my mother still wears her wedding ring, though she's been separated/divorced for 57 years now. Says it won't come off.

Has Jerry always worn a ring on this finger since his first marriage?

It could be in honor of one of his past marriages. Myra, Shawn?
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:29 pm

Tony Papard wrote:

It certainly seems strange that an unmarried man wears a ring on that finger, especially if it's one given him by his daughter for his birthday.

Though I believe my mother still wears her wedding ring, though she's been separated/divorced for 57 years now. Says it won't come off.

Maybe he's making out he's married so that other women don't bother him...
peterchecksfield

Postby Huddie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:01 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Tony Papard wrote:

Maybe he's making out he's married so that other women don't bother him...

Maybe the scandale about him and Myra is about to fade out, so he's working on a new scandale to top that, so they just wait for the press to find out he's married to his own daughter this time. HA! HA! HA!

- Jesper Kragh
Huddie

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:14 pm

It's obvious that the truth is he secretly married Marla recently. How else do you explain Kay's behavior? :roll:
peterchecksfield

PreviousNext

Return to Archive