BELLAPHONE LP "Rocket"



Postby Tim in St. Louis » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:30 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:
W_Skinner wrote:Yeah, I'm dreamin' of a CD-box-set with all those 80's albums, remastered sound quality, bonus tracks, production notes... :roll: Oh please Bear Family, any one?


Exactly. But I heard the sales were so low on the 'Mercury Smashes' set, they wouldn't entertain doing a fourth. What a shame, if this is true.


Yes. The problem IMO is it was overpriced for a JLL that was declining in quality as an artist and unispiried.

Just too much filler and not enough "killer" Killer. ..
Tim in St. Louis

 
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:05 am

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:29 pm

Tim in St. Louis wrote:
Richard Harvey wrote:
W_Skinner wrote:Yeah, I'm dreamin' of a CD-box-set with all those 80's albums, remastered sound quality, bonus tracks, production notes... :roll: Oh please Bear Family, any one?


Exactly. But I heard the sales were so low on the 'Mercury Smashes' set, they wouldn't entertain doing a fourth. What a shame, if this is true.


Yes. The problem IMO is it was overpriced for a JLL that was declining in quality as an artist and unispiried.

Just too much filler and not enough "killer" Killer. ..


I disagree...the big problem with this is because there was pretty much no previously-unreleased material. That's why so few bought it.
peterchecksfield

 

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:11 pm

Agreed with Peter. His core fans will buy this stuff if it has a lot of things they don't have, even if the material is flat out awful. If they already have the material, why rebuy it at such a high price?

A fourth box set would need to have lots of outtakes, demos, unreleased, etc. I certainly wouldn't want it otherwise as I have most of the released material from this era.
jllWAfan1982

 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:19 pm

jllWAfan1982 wrote:
A fourth box set would need to have lots of outtakes, demos, unreleased, etc. I certainly wouldn't want it otherwise as I have most of the released material from this era.


A fourth box-set would have to cover the Elektra (& beyond?) era, & there's LOTS of material that hasn't been issued from these sessions, even on bootleg! :shock:
peterchecksfield

 

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:02 am

Been listening to this tonight.....some really great rock songs on here!
jllWAfan1982

 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby bluesinc. » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:40 am

An Elektra Boxset would be great, His last great recordings I think. And it would be a start.
After Eelektra I can just "live" with individual songs and not with whole albums. The MCA LPs are just soso & Rocket & Hank Cochran are the worst things he´s ever done. (Cochrans with those cruel Casio Overdubbs)
The best record songwise after Elektra in my opinion is Youngblood. Soundwise & musically it´s LMS, but maybe the next one will have great songs AND sound, although the Killers voice now is really thin (though it´s better on Mean old man that on most LMS tracks).
I´m always happy about new recordings from the Killer & he should go on recording but maybe Jimmy Bowen ruined the Killers Career. At least he did the first big step (not counting Jerry himself) & the next big one was the Movie, I think. And Jerry´s lost maybe ten years then Mid 90ies to Mid 00. Though the first time of LMS i read in FBM in 2001 or 2002.
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

 
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: Wien

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:02 am

bluesinc. wrote:Though the first time of LMS i read in FBM in 2001 or 2002.


It was late 2002 (around the time of his 67th birthday) when he recorded 'Evening Gown', so it was 4 years from the start of recording to the release date. The follow-up however was started in the summer of 2005, so is taking even longer... :roll:
peterchecksfield

 

Postby bluesinc. » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:07 am

yes I remember, crying, waiting, hoping. Also read about the caribou Sessions in Fireball mail.
Sometimes I really don´t know why it takes THAT long. What they are waiting for? Contractual reasons? Recordlabelstuff? They can´t say Promotional reasons because it´s not such a big deal... Anyway, hoping the CD is coming soon...
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

 
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: Wien

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:11 am

Probably do it more as a hobby than a career at this stage. No reason to try and get it done quickly or make one each year.
jllWAfan1982

 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:33 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:Probably do it more as a hobby than a career at this stage. No reason to try and get it done quickly or make one each year.


No, the reason they take so long is down to record company politics. If it was up to Jerry then I'm sure he'd release two or three albums per year like he used to, but no big record company will do that now, no matter who the artist is.
peterchecksfield

 

Postby Tony Papard » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:35 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
jllWAfan1982 wrote:Probably do it more as a hobby than a career at this stage. No reason to try and get it done quickly or make one each year.


No, the reason they take so long is down to record company politics. If it was up to Jerry then I'm sure he'd release two or three albums per year like he used to, but no big record company will do that now, no matter who the artist is.


That's right. If it was up to Jerry he'd go in the studio and record an album in a few days, like he used to, and the thing would be released with virtually no overdubbing within weeks.

That's how they released two or three albums a year.

Things have changed - they call it 'progress'. Make up your own minds about that!
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

User avatar
 
Posts: 1435
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 4:01 pm
Location: London, England, EU

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:40 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
bluesinc. wrote:Though the first time of LMS i read in FBM in 2001 or 2002.


It was late 2002 (around the time of his 67th birthday) when he recorded 'Evening Gown', so it was 4 years from the start of recording to the release date. The follow-up however was started in the summer of 2005, so is taking even longer... :roll:


Let's not forget that it took four years to record "Soul My Way" and seven years to make "Country Class"! :wink:

They didn't hang about with "The Session" in 1973 though, did they... taped between 8th and 11th January and in the UK stores on 16th March, complete with covers printed in the USA... remarkable efficiency!
Andrew McRae

User avatar
 
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:53 am

Andrew McRae wrote:They didn't hang about with "The Session" in 1973 though, did they... taped between 8th and 11th January and in the UK stores on 16th March, complete with covers printed in the USA... remarkable efficiency!


I seem to recall the first Elektra album being nearly that quick too! :shock:
peterchecksfield

 

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:19 pm

Jerry shoudl quit his label then and record three albums a year and self-release online.
jllWAfan1982

 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby jarireinikka » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:48 pm

no on-line releases,please.proper records or nothing!!!
jarireinikka

 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:12 am
Location: tuusula,finland

PreviousNext

Return to Albums

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron