BELLAPHONE LP "Rocket"

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:18 am

jayhawks wrote:
W_Skinner wrote:I think both LP and CD are quite hard to find these days.

Some people don't even know this album as it ain't mentioned in many discographies.

Yeah, I'm dreamin' of a CD-box-set with all those 80's albums, remastered sound quality, bonus tracks, production notes... :roll: Oh please Bear Family, any one?

B.U.M.P.

Bear Family, Mr. Weize, it`s your turn!

One person who perhaps could persuade him (& donate many outtakes) is Rolf Bresser...
peterchecksfield

Postby Andrew McRae » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:56 am

dreamin' of a CD-box-set with all those 80's albums, remastered sound quality, bonus tracks, production notes...

I have to admit the idea of this proposed 'latter-day-warts-and-all MCA/Elektra Odds and Sods labels' box-set doesn't hold much appeal for me. However it was put together, there would be certain to be a great deal missing, and it would inevitably lack the 'flow' and cohesiveness that comes across in the nominally 'complete' Sun and Mercury collections previously issued by Bear Family. What followed during the years 1978 to 1995 is too much of a 'mishmash' to make a satisfactory box-set.

Even if you could achieve the impossible and get a license to include everything recorded in this era, where would one draw the line in respect of the various collaborations such as "Survivors", "Class of '55", "Four Legends etc... presumably just take any and all bits that feature JLL to whatever extent and leave aside the rest? The aforementioned albums are essentially 'stand alone' projects and should be respected as such. I happen to think that "Four Legends" is a very good, and enjoyable album, but I wouldn't particularly want to listen to the 'Lewis' bits in isolation lumped together half way through a CD which then seagues in to "Class of '55".

If Bear Family want to something useful they might concentrate on a series of individual CDs (or 2CDs as appropriate) covering the 'hard-to-find' or 'not-yet-on-CD' stuff like 'Las Vegas', 'Church', "Four Legends", Caribou / Kilroy...

Number one priority, however, should be a vinyl LP of CD-7 from 'The Locust Years' box-set - or, better still, a 2LP serving uo that and it's 'missing' companion show in its entirety (which logic suggests might well exist somewhere!)

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby W_Skinner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:00 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:
... where would one draw the line in respect of the various collaborations...

Easy ;)

CD 1 & 2: JLL, When 2 Worlds Collide & Killer Country.
CD 3 & 4: The Caribou Sessions
CD 5 & 6: My Fingers Do The Talking & I Am What I Am & Outtakes/Remixes
CD 7: The Kilroy Session & The Ardent Session
CD 8: Rocket & Outtakes
(Colaboration and live albums get excluded)

I'd love to buy that :)
So Long, W.Skinner
have a look at my own R'n'R band: www.dekrauts.rocken.de
W_Skinner

Postby Perk » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:08 pm

W_Skinner wrote:
Andrew McRae wrote:

Easy ;)

It´s interesting. I think a Elektra only box set would reach at least 5 CD´s counting 25 tracks each.

The first Elektra album has 10 tracks. The producer said they cut 16 tracks. Plus i assume a few alternates should be in the can. I also seen some list of things not familliar to most.

I´d say a 5-6 CD box easily (probably more) on only the Elektra stuff!

Perk
Perk

Postby W_Skinner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:31 pm

Oops. :roll: I haven't known there's so much in the can.
Thanks, Perk for your info.
:thumbsup
So Long, W.Skinner
have a look at my own R'n'R band: www.dekrauts.rocken.de
W_Skinner

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:42 pm

W_Skinner wrote:Oops. :roll: I haven't known there's so much in the can.

Jerry also supposedly cut a session for Roland Janes in 1979, plus demo sessions for several labels during the late 80s. So there's LOTS out there! :D

Personally I'd include all studio recordings (including Four Legends & Class of '55) but ignore live recordings (American Hot Wax, Palomino, Survivors, etc).
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:10 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:

Jerry also supposedly cut a session for Roland Janes in 1979,

I actually been on to asking you about this Roland Janes session. I read about it in Chas White´s book of course.
Peter, can you add anything extra to where the info came from etc? All interesting!!!

Perk
Perk

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:16 pm

Perk wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

I actually been on to asking you about this Roland Janes session. I read about it in Chas White´s book of course.
Peter, can you add anything extra to where the info came from etc? All interesting!!!

Perk

The info came from someone in the U.S. named Ari Bass. Chas insisted he's an expert but I don't know anything about him myself.
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:49 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
Perk wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

Perk

The info came from someone in the U.S. named Ari Bass. Chas insisted he's an expert but I don't know anything about him myself.

Thanks, i never heard of or read about that name before either.

Perk
Perk

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:17 am

Easy

I'd love to buy that

Okay, I'm coming around to the idea. If it was as 'neat' as that I might be persuaded!

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:36 am

Andrew McRae wrote:
Easy

I'd love to buy that

Okay, I'm coming around to the idea. If it was as 'neat' as that I might be persuaded!

Andrew

I think I should point out that 'Rocket' was actually recorded before the 1987 Eddie Kilroy session: although released in 1988 it was recorded in 1986.

Something I would NOT include on a boxset are the MCA recordings which featured 90s guitar overdubs. They may sound good, but they're no more "authentic" than those awful overdubbed Sun recordings.
peterchecksfield

Postby peter molecz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:27 pm

Ari Bass is credited by Richard Weize compiling the discographie for the Locust Years boxset.

There were also rumours in the early 90`s that Ari Bass was allowed to visit the SUN tapes - stock where he found "sensational" news, when he tried to compile a complete new Jerry sessiongraphie, which was never released. It seems that this guy must be as shy as Gary. Sometimes ago, he took place on an ebay auction for a Jerry Lee item - but I cannot remember this item.

Peter M.
peter molecz

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:36 pm

peter molecz wrote:Ari Bass is credited by Richard Weize compiling the discographie for the Locust Years boxset.

There were also rumours in the early 90`s that Ari Bass was allowed to visit the SUN tapes - stock where he found "sensational" news, when he tried to compile a complete new Jerry sessiongraphie, which was never released. It seems that this guy must be as shy as Gary. Sometimes ago, he took place on an ebay auction for a Jerry Lee item - but I cannot remember this item.

Peter M.

He also supplied other info for Chas' book, such as the song 'Tom Dooley & Me' from 1988 (a demo version & a finished version).

Let's hope he co-operates if Bear Family ever get around to compiling post-Mercury boxsets! :D
peterchecksfield

Postby Forrest Mayer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:27 pm

W_Skinner wrote:
Andrew McRae wrote:

Easy ;)

I would include one harder-to-find live show as a last CD, just as the Bear Family did on their other JLL box sets.
Forrest Mayer

Postby bluesinc. » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:48 am

I would love to have such a Boxset but my idea is the following
a) The Elektra Albums + Hot damn + Outtakes + Caribou (maybe 5 CDs, at least around 80 tracks, as far as i know)
b) My Fingers do...+ I am what i am + Outtakes
c) Four Legends, Class of 55, Mcdowell, Rocket all with possible Outtakes
d) Unreleased sessions Kilroy, Ardent, maybe RCA, Columbia....
c) Great balls of Fire Soundtrack + Outtakes+ Whiskey talking + Tom Dooley...
d) Young Blood Sessions
c) The Survivers, Blue Christmas, American Hot Wax...the spreaded Live Tracks
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

PreviousNext

Return to Albums