BELLAPHONE LP "Rocket"

BELLAPHONE LP "Rocket"

Postby Forrest Mayer » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:58 am

Forrest Mayer

Postby rockin532000 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:06 am

Personally I would go for the CD, also from Bellaphone in Germany. I would say this is a strong-buy. You will hear the rockinest version Jailhouse Rock, Meat Man etc.

It is probably a bootleg (but who cares anyway), at least Jerry did not like it when it was released in Germany.

The quality is excellent.

Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby jarireinikka » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:09 am

never go for the cd,if there´s a vinyl available,the sound is always superb on vinyl,and it doesn´t look like tiny silver cup-holder...
jarireinikka

Postby Perk » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:32 am

I have that vinyl and the sound is good. I also have a cd version of it, but there the sound is really tiny. I thought it was so bad that i have hid it in the cellar somewhere :D

If possible i would easily go for the vinyl.

Perk
Perk

Postby W_Skinner » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:33 am

I think both LP and CD are quite hard to find these days.

Some people don't even know this album as it ain't mentioned in many discographies.

Yeah, I'm dreamin' of a CD-box-set with all those 80's albums, remastered sound quality, bonus tracks, production notes... :roll: Oh please Bear Family, any one?
So Long, W.Skinner
have a look at my own R'n'R band: www.dekrauts.rocken.de
W_Skinner

Postby Richard Harvey » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:22 am

W_Skinner wrote:Yeah, I'm dreamin' of a CD-box-set with all those 80's albums, remastered sound quality, bonus tracks, production notes... :roll: Oh please Bear Family, any one?

Exactly. But I heard the sales were so low on the 'Mercury Smashes' set, they wouldn't entertain doing a fourth. What a shame, if this is true.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby ChrisdeB » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:33 am

Richard Harvey wrote:
W_Skinner wrote:Yeah, I'm dreamin' of a CD-box-set with all those 80's albums, remastered sound quality, bonus tracks, production notes... :roll: Oh please Bear Family, any one?

Exactly. But I heard the sales were so low on the 'Mercury Smashes' set, they wouldn't entertain doing a fourth. What a shame, if this is true.

Hopefully after the success of LMS this may change. We still havnt had from BF the Las Vegas live stuff, the Church Sessions. There were complaints about 'Mercury Smashes' set re: the sound etc, I personally found it ok. A new box set would be grand though.

BF have been releasing box sets entiry made up of outtakes. I have the Johnny Cash and Gene Vincent ones, it be nice to have a definitive set on Jerry Lees sun outtakes as there has been so much confusion on the matter. Ah well we can only hope.......
ChrisdeB

Postby Andrew McRae » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:20 pm

There were complaints about 'Mercury Smashes' set re: the sound etc

I think the greater concern was with the sub-standard and unimaginative presentation of the box itself and the book - not enough effort or research went into securing the right, high quality illustrations, and it all looks rather drab compared to the usual BF mark.

Funnily enough, I today got BF's latest, mammoth catalogue, in which they promote all their generally excellent box sets. Of course, they, BF, should be taken to task for claiming that the three JLL boxes contain (Classic) "His complete recordings from 1956-1963", (Locust Years) "His complete recordings from 1963-1969", and (Mercury Smashes) "His complete recordings from 1970-77" - nonsense!
Andrew McRae

Postby Forrest Mayer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:28 pm

Thanks for your help. This is a great record!
Forrest Mayer

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:32 pm

JerryLeeLewisFan wrote:Thanks for your help. This is a great record!

I like it too, & find it more fun than both the MCA albums & The Class of '55! :)
peterchecksfield

Postby W_Skinner » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:05 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:

I like it too, & find it more fun than both the MCA albums & The Class of '55! :)

Speaking of the MCA albums...
They haven't been released on CD yet, right?
What about a compilation, just like the Elektra best-of called "Rockin' my life away - The Collection"? Nothing out there on CD?
So Long, W.Skinner
have a look at my own R'n'R band: www.dekrauts.rocken.de
W_Skinner

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:26 pm

W_Skinner wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

What about a compilation, just like the Elektra best-of called "Rockin' my life away - The Collection"? Nothing out there on CD?

The MCA albums haven't been issued on CD in their original form, but in the early 90s Ace issued all the songs on two CDs, often in remixed or alternate take form (+ unreleased songs). These were called 'Honky Tonk Rock & Roll Piano Man' & 'Pretty Much Country'.
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:26 pm

W_Skinner wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:

No but there are these 2 ACE cd´s with extra unreleased 4 songs. Plus different mixes and stuff. Some things on the original MCA vinyls are different.

But sticking to Elektra i think all but 4-5 tracks has been reduced to cd with the "Rockin My Life Away" cd compilation, and the newer 3 cd box with his earliest 1952 recordings.

Go for the vinyls as i always say, better sound, complete, and rocks!

Perk Image
Perk

Postby jayhawks » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:12 am

W_Skinner wrote:I think both LP and CD are quite hard to find these days.

Some people don't even know this album as it ain't mentioned in many discographies.

Yeah, I'm dreamin' of a CD-box-set with all those 80's albums, remastered sound quality, bonus tracks, production notes... :roll: Oh please Bear Family, any one?

B.U.M.P.

Bear Family, Mr. Weize, it`s your turn!
jayhawks

Re: LP "Rocket"

Postby jayhawks » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:26 am

jayhawks

Next

Return to Albums