What Are Your Favourite JLL Bootlegs?

What Are Your Favourite JLL Bootlegs?

Postby PeterC » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:10 am

All this talk of the "Come Sundown" unofficial release has got me thinking about some of the fine (& some not so fine) bootlegs that have been released since the very first ones in the early 70s... I don't mean CD-Rs that have been compiled on a computer, but proper "pressed" CDs plus of course vinyl. Anyway, what are YOUR favourites?

My favourite JLL vinyl release is probably the "Pumpin'" EP that was released in the early 80s. Not only did this have 'Down The Line' from The Star Club in far better sound than featured on the 'Live At The International Hotel' UK album, but this was also the first time we'd heard the unreleased mid 60s tracks 'Just In Time', '24 Hours A Day' and 'Skid Row'. To this day 'Skid Row' remains one of my very favourite JLL recordings.

Best CD bootleg? That's easy, the "Killer's Private Stash"! Fascinating as it was to hear Jerry's 2nd demo single from 1954 (albeit in rather scratchy quality) and the 1988 GBOF soundtrack outtakes, it's the two "Catch My Soul" songs that really blew everyone away. It's still unclear why these were taped; was it just a rehearsal, or was there at some point a soundtrack album planned?? One thing I am pretty sure about is that the late Gary Skala had several other songs from this session (or sessions). Let's hope they're not lost forever.
PeterC

Re: What Are Your Favourite JLL Bootlegs?

Postby Perk » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:29 pm

Those bootlegs you chose Peter were great! I think my own copy of the 'pumpin' EP was a later issue as it didn´t feature the great sounding version of Down The Line. But thanks to Andrew i now got that french single that originally had it.

My first bootleg was "A Whole Lotta Shakin" on Koala records. I played that one so many times. Only later i realised it was running in the wrong speed. Too excited i guess? But must count that one as a big influence in my younger years.

Perk
Perk

Postby PeterC » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Perk wrote:I think my own copy of the 'pumpin' EP was a later issue as it didn´t feature the great sounding version of Down The Line. But thanks to Andrew i now got that french single that originally had it.

OK, probably not that great in retrospect, but still an improvement on the muffled Live At The International bonus track.

Perk wrote:My first bootleg was "A Whole Lotta Shakin" on Koala records. I played that one so many times. Only later i realised it was running in the wrong speed. Too excited i guess? But must count that one as a big influence in my younger years.

I had that too, and the Great Balls Of Fire" Koala release featuring more songs from the same show. Well worth having, but as you said, they played too fast, & also the covers were poor.

A live bootleg which I thought was very good was "Me And Bobby McGee", taped in Gothenburg on the 1987 European tour (both sound quality & cover were far better than the official "Live in Italy"). I actually bought my copy in HMV in London, one of the biggest record stores in the country!
PeterC

Postby Tumppi » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:20 pm

My favourite absolutely is the Mule Records's "Rockin' Jerry Lee Lewis" LP. When I bought this in around 1995-1997 I was quite impressed of the "Saturday Club" and Amsterdam 1972 live tracks. And if I've understood right this for many decades was the only record release of "My Baby Don't Love No One But Me", one of the many underrated JLL songs.

Another one I want to mention is "Live In Paris 1966". I don't mind about it's dodgy sound quality when the performance itself is so amazing, in my opinion it comes very near to the "Star-Club" performance.
Tumppi

Postby PeterC » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:26 pm

Tumppi wrote:My favourite absolutely is the Mule Records's "Rockin' Jerry Lee Lewis" LP. When I bought this in around 1995-1997 I was quite impressed of the "Saturday Club" and Amsterdam 1972 live tracks. And if I've understood right this for many decades was the only record release of "My Baby Don't Love No One But Me", one of the many underrated JLL songs.

Yes that was a great one, particularly when it was first released in the 70s & we heard 'Rockin' Jerry Lee' and 'Danny Boy' for the first time. 'No One But Me' (correct title) still hasn't been released officially (not sure if it's on any other bootlegs either).

Tumppi wrote:Another one I want to mention is "Live In Paris 1966". I don't mind about it's dodgy sound quality when the performance itself is so amazing, in my opinion it comes very near to the "Star-Club" performance.

This was marred by a poor pressing. They should reissue it on CD, & this time include the encore of 'Good Golly Miss Molly' (this is on my tape / CD!).

Some of the songs from this show (+ 3 songs from Paris '63) were issued on a various artists bootleg CD some years ago, and in much greater quality.
PeterC

Postby Tumppi » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:23 pm

PeterC wrote: 'No One But Me' (correct title) still hasn't been released officially (not sure if it's on any other bootlegs either).

It was released few years back on "The Real Thing" bootleg CD, another good collection of some rare JLL stuff.
Tumppi

Postby PeterC » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:26 pm

Tumppi wrote:
PeterC wrote: 'No One But Me' (correct title) still hasn't been released officially (not sure if it's on any other bootlegs either).

It was released few years back on "The Real Thing" bootleg CD, another good collection of some rare JLL stuff.

I forgot about that one, another bootleg sold by Bear Family......

https://www.bear-family.com/lewis-jerry-lee-the-real-thing-rare-und-unreleased.html
PeterC

Postby PirateHook » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:51 pm

I really like this one: Rock and Roll With Jerry Lee: For Jerry Lee Lewis Fans Only (His Rarest Recordings) https://musicbrainz.org/release/83b683f ... 05ac8969c0 Especially the Art-Work.
PirateHook

Postby PeterC » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:53 pm

PirateHook wrote:I really like this one: https://musicbrainz.org/release/83b683f ... 05ac8969c0 Especially the Art-Work.

This was the first JLL bootleg I ever owned... the artwork is fine, but the sound is very bad! In particular the Toronto 1969 tracks which are running too slow, making him sound very old.
PeterC

Postby thrund » Fri May 01, 2015 11:57 am

Good stuff mentioned already above!....but my fav is the Let's Live A Little double lp.
Pretty well made thing by guys who knows how do do and what fans want to have.
Unfortunately I 'only' have the 'yellow' copy and not the 'blue' copy in collection.

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby PeterC » Fri May 01, 2015 4:07 pm

thrund wrote:Good stuff mentioned already above!....but my fav is the Let's Live A Little double lp.
Unfortunately I 'only' have the 'yellow' copy and not the 'blue' copy in collection.

Thomas

Indeed... only an audience recording, but beautifully packaged & a very special concert of course.
PeterC

Postby tchr » Sat May 02, 2015 10:41 am

PeterC wrote:
thrund wrote:Good stuff mentioned already above!....but my fav is the Let's Live A Little double lp.

Thomas

Indeed... only an audience recording, but beautifully packaged & a very special concert of course.

My very first JLL consert :D
tchr

Postby PirateHook » Sun May 03, 2015 10:39 pm

I haven't listen to it for awhile but i will take a listen to it. Otherwise i think the most of the tracks on it was pretty rare at the time.

PeterC wrote:
PirateHook wrote:I really like this one: https://musicbrainz.org/release/83b683f ... 05ac8969c0 Especially the Art-Work.

This was the first JLL bootleg I ever owned... the artwork is fine, but the sound is very bad! In particular the Toronto 1969 tracks which are running too slow, making him sound very old.
PirateHook

Postby Henry » Mon May 04, 2015 11:11 am

Thomas

What the diffrence betveen the Yellow and Blue copy ?
I haven,t checked my copy for a while but if i remember right my copy has a white label with no text.
I bought it from Bosse Berglund,he said there was only 3 copys of it and i can say it wasen't cheep :lol:
With that in mind i have to say it,s my fav too 8)
Henry

Postby jarireinikka » Mon May 04, 2015 2:21 pm

I can´t remember there being any differences between these two,just the color of the cover
jarireinikka

Next

Return to Albums