Rock & Roll Time

Re: Rock & Roll Time

Postby Stefan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:17 pm

I have now listened to the cd a couple of times and I think it is a better album than Mean Old Man.
Highlights for me is Stepchild and Keep Me In Mind
Stefan

Postby niek81 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:29 am

niek81

Postby rockin532000 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:59 pm

... and it is hard to argue with both of these reviews. In particular the NYtimes one is excellent.
Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby Logan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:23 pm

I've listened the new album several times and in my opinion it's his best since Young Blood. My favorite track is Stepchild(I wish he'd do it live) Other highlights for me include Mississippi Kid, Folsom Prison Blues, Sick and Tired, and Blues Like Midnight. I found myself waiting for him to refer to himself in third person during Blues Like Midnight, I was kinda surprised he didn't. I feel like kinda slurs his way through Promise Land but overall I like it. The weakest track on the album in my opinion is Little Queenie, it would have been so much better with some piano.The best part is it's a (mostly) solo album. Overall Rock & Roll Time is pretty darn good. Looking forward to the next album :D
Logan

Postby PeterC » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:14 pm

I finally heard the album this morning. Strongest tracks in my opinion are the more obscure ones, 'Stepchild', 'Keep Me In Mind' and 'Mississippi Kid', with 'Sick & Tired' being the best remake though it can't compare to the SUN cut. 'Bright Lights, Big City' sounded better in it's original form as a LMS bonus track. Not overkeen on 'Rock & Roll Time' (though it's a better song than 'Mean Old Man').

Weakest tracks imo are 'Folsom Prison Blues' (they wouldn't have used that hesitant intro if any other guitarist played it) and 'The Promised Land': No-one's going to top Chuck's original (though both Elvis Presley and Johnnie Allan came very close), but Jerry actually sounds like he's reading the lyrics here (not too clearly) with very little feeling, as well as quite poor guitar playing (the saving grace are the piano solos, reasonably inventive by Jerry's recent standards). And who's that "singing" occasional harmonies?

Overall though a far better album than 'Mean Old Man', and in some ways I even prefer it to 'Last Man Standing' as there's no vocal duets. 3 & 1/2 out of 5! :)
PeterC

Postby Henry » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:06 pm

PeterC wrote:And who's that "singing" occasional harmonies?)

That's Kid Rock 8) i hope :lol:
Henry

Postby PeterC » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:39 pm

Henry wrote:
PeterC wrote:And who's that "singing" occasional harmonies?)

That's Kid Rock 8) i hope :lol:

It's not quite that bad! :twisted:
PeterC

Postby niek81 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:47 pm

John Brion or something?
niek81

Postby niek81 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:55 am

niek81

Postby martin bates » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:20 pm

Some great reviews in the press - & among our members here :)
good promotion as well, including the latest BB King show. Keep Me In Mind is a song I liked on first hearing some time ago so I'm glad Jerry has added it to the set list; Of all the tracks Folsom Prison is my least favourite - I much prefer Jerry's own Elektra version - although I recently discovered that owed a lot to the version by Jerry Reed. If we were going to be treated to Jerry on the guitar they should have left it at the more interesting Blues At Midnight.... & it we're going to duet - put Merle Haggard on that one. We didn't need Shelby Lynne on Rainbow.
In answer to Peter - the background vocals on Promised Land are from Bernard Fowler ( yes, him ). I agree the piano saves the track. All together a very strong album.... the best I've heard since the Knox Phillips Sessions !

Martin.
martin bates

Postby PeterC » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:57 pm

martin bates wrote: If we were going to be treated to Jerry on the guitar they should have left it at the more interesting Blues At Midnight....

He could always do Mystery Train... with Kenny on fiddle of course (& James Burton on lead guitar?).

martin bates wrote:In answer to Peter - the background vocals on Promised Land are from Bernard Fowler ( yes, him ).

Bernard is actually a fine singer (though not here!), and has been The Rolling Stones' backing vocalist both live & on record for 25 years, singing the harmonies that Keith Richards would've done in the 60s & early 70s before his voice roughened / deepened.
PeterC

Postby martin bates » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:34 pm

PeterC wrote:He could always do Mystery Train... with Kenny on fiddle of course (& James Burton on lead guitar?).

well it might work - I'd rather hear Jerry on piano if possible. I've always liked JB & think he added greatly to the excellent version of Promised Land by Elvis.As a matter of interest, in the new book there's a piece where Jerry is asked, something like if he could perform with any other person, living or dead, who would it be? -- he answers 'Kenny Lovelace'.
I hadn't heard of Bernard Fowler, so thanks for the info ...maybe not doing him justice on this listening.

Martin.
martin bates

Postby Rocky » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:50 pm

I really like this album; considering Jerry's age and poor health the past ten years, I like every track on it. Shelby Lynne doesn't hurt "Here Comes That Rainbow" one bit. I could have done without "Little Queenie". The Sun cut much better in my opinion. I'll be playing this album a lot. Many fav tracks including title song, Vickery's "Keep Me in Mind", and "Promised Land". I even like "Folsom Prison Blues".
Rocky

Postby niek81 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:22 pm

niek81

Postby Henry » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:08 pm

Stefan wrote:I have now listened to the cd a couple of times and I think it is a better album than Mean Old Man.
Highlights for me is Stepchild and Keep Me In Mind

Stefan: Have you find anywhere one can buy the Cd in Sweden? It,s not available on Ginza yet.

I,ve also listned to it online and highlights for me is Sick and Tired ,Missisippi Kid and Promised Land.It,s really a good thing to have Chucks lyrics in hand when Jerry sings and he follows it almost exaktly the same.
I,ve also think they,ve done a miracel to Folsom Prison Blues
Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Albums