Rock & Roll Time

Rock & Roll Time

Postby tchr » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:02 am

tchr

Re: Rock & Roll Time

Postby niek81 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:14 pm

Nice!

Let's hope they'll add some samples soon.
niek81

Postby Jos » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:43 pm

Jos

Postby PeterC » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:23 pm

Sounds horrible!!!

What f*cking idiot mixed this??? Jerry's piano is (just about) audible while he's singing, yet disappears completely between lines, and his vocal / piano is swamped in reverb yet the very obvious guitar overdubs are completely "dry"... Bring back Jimmy Rip, at least he knew how to fake "duets" convincingly! :evil: :evil: :evil:
PeterC

Postby jarireinikka » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:37 pm

Yeah!! Where´s the piano???? What a horrible mix,just guitar in there.Again more reasons to wait for Knox Phillips Sessions record...
jarireinikka

Postby PeterC » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:50 pm

Every studio album he's released over the past 25 years has featured some fine performances by Jerry that have been spoilt by poor mixes, inappropriate overdubs, speeded up vocals, etc: GBOF, Youngblood, LMS, MOM and now this! Yes, the Knox Phillips stuff will be much more listenable.
PeterC

Postby niek81 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:21 pm

I wish all those recordings would have the quality of MOM, the single song as I thought that one sounded much better than the mixes of the other songs.

On Little Queenie they left Jerry out of the musicians playing on the song:

Little Queenie”
Written by — Chuck Berry
Arc Music (BMI)
Isalee Music Publishing (BMI)
Guitar — Keith Richards
Guitar — Ron Wood
Guitar — Waddy Wachtel
Guitar — Kenny Lovelace
Bass — Rick Rosas
Drums, Percussion — Jim Keltner

Really don't get the point of using 4 guitars on a song like this by the way.....
niek81

Postby PeterC » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:40 pm

niek81 wrote:Really don't get the point of using 4 guitars on a song like this by the way.....

I'm guessing there were only 1 or 2 guitars on the original recording, the others were obviously overdubbed later (not sure I can actually hear 4 guitars though, certainly no Kenny Lovelace!).
PeterC

Postby PirateHook » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:22 am

I like that song, but to be honest it could have been more Piano and longer Rock'n'Roll guitar's.There's an interesting story about this song from 706unionavenue.nl

Chuck Berry's version of "Little Queenie"" had just risen to its rather lowly peak of 80 when Jerry Lee scheduled a session especially to record it. A few weeks earlier, Jerry's wife Myra, had written to the fan club secretary, Kay Martin, asking her to find a copy of Chuck's record for Jerry's mother, Mamie. "I suppose you know", Myra wrote, "that next to Jerry, Chuck Berry is her very favorite". On May 25, three days before Jerry's session, Myra wrote back to Kay, Thanks loads for "Little Queenie". Mrs Lewis is just mad about Chuck Berry... (but) ever since he tried to beat up Jerry I haven't liked him a bit. If I'm not mistaken, Jerry wrapped a chair around his head... Don't get me wrong, I think Chuck is a very talented Negro.

Have you ever seen him put on a live show? That is one Negro that can flat put on a show!. Apparently, "Little Queenie" was heard so often around the Lewis household that Jerry decided to record it so that his mother would play something by a very talented white boy.
PirateHook

Postby richjohnson26 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:53 pm

I'm in full accord with the comments above. The multiple guitars just sound messy and amateurish. For the life of me I can't understand why there isn't just one clear rhythm guitar perhaps with a few lead licks over the top. This is hardly a new idea!

To not have any piano on this track is poor; to then do that to it with the guitars is inexcusable. Perhaps they should've brought in the The Quo to support the rhythm! Shame they're not famous enough state side I reckon!
Last edited by richjohnson26 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richjohnson26

Postby PeterC » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:03 pm

richjohnson26 wrote:I'm in full accord with the comments above. The multiple guitars just sound messy and amateurish. For the life of me I can't understand why there isn't just knew clear rhythm guitar perhaps with a few lead lucks over the top. This is hardly a new idea!

To not have any piano on this track is poor; to then do that to it with the guitars is inexcusable. Perhaps they should've brought in the The Quo to support the rhythm! Shame they're not famous enough state side I reckon!

They could easily have got Jerry to do a piano overdub if they didn't like his original playing, but they obvious didn't bother!
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Seems that several people agree with my comments:

http://thedailysouth.southernliving.com ... lee-lewis/

Can someone tell Judith how bad it sounds?
There's still time to re-mix it!
PeterC

Postby niek81 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:14 am

Isn't it better to contact the record label instead of Judith? I don't think Judith has a big influence on it, and I don't think she really cares about it....
niek81

Postby PeterC » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:19 am

niek81 wrote:Isn't it better to contact the record label instead of Judith? I don't think Judith has a big influence on it, and I don't think she really cares about it....

Or both? Though surely if Jerry objects (via Judith) then they'll do something about it.

Who's the producer? Maybe he / she should be contacted.

Whatever, poorly mixed recordings will be with us forever!
PeterC

Postby Rocky » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:39 pm

We still have the original great Sun recording from 1959 of Jerry on "Little Queenie" so that's all that matters to me. I never liked recuts anyway and don't consider any of his recuts better than his first versions. All those recuts on MOM don't stand up to the originals in my opinion.
Rocky

Next

Return to Albums