The "Last Man Standing" recordings

The "Last Man Standing" recordings

Postby Huddie » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:48 pm

Does anyone out there know what year the different songs to "Last Man Standing" were recorded?

Thanks in advance

Jesper Kragh
Huddie

Re: The "Last Man Standing" recordings

Postby Huddie » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:31 pm

I'm surpriced that this subject is a so hard nut to crack. It seems that I have found a weak spot about Jerry Lee, that noone knows the answeer to.
Huddie

Postby PeterC » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:11 pm

Huddie wrote:It seems that I have found a weak spot about Jerry Lee, that noone knows the answer to.

I doubt whether even he knows.

PeterC

Postby martin bates » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:29 pm

Why don't you just ask Peter directly ? lol !!
Alternately search the discussion threads here for relevant stuff 'as it happened'- always a good read, particularly if you're really interested. (Discussion threads - not the 'albums')

On the other hand ,in answer to a similar question,Paul once gave the answer that you can find the info you need in his Ferriday Fireball work as well,if you want to make an investment.

As a general rule (off the top of my head) LMS was recorded over several years from Evening Gown in around 2001.
MOM was recorded in various sessions discussed on this forum, but dates are vague & there are some leftovers from LMS as well - 2 or 3 tracks are listed on the final album as 'basic production by Jimmy Rip' or something similar.

Much of the work 'with guests' on both albums was added later to the basic recordings. I think Ringo & Kid Rock are 2 of the ones who recorded 'live' with Jerry.As well as Hag of course.And KK. -on MOM if not The Pilgrim :)

Before the album came out Jerry himself talked about KK coming over with a bunch of songs , and we know from out-takes that exist he recorded 'Come Sundown',and 'Good Love' as well as the 3 KK songs released. (sadly, no originals) Similarly there was a session talked about with Merle Haggard,where there's only 1 song on the album...as usual plenty in the leftovers pile for the years to come. Very interesting if you want to do a bit of research,though maybe not everything you need. (& that's just a rough overview from me, not a definitive answer!)

Martin.
just previewed my message & seen the Noone gag- very good :) , never misses a trick :wink:
martin bates

Postby Huddie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:12 pm

I have tried to look it up in the Ferriday Fire Ball book, but couldn't find the information I was looking for.
Next I'tt try to search the discussion threads. Hopefully something will turn up.

Just hope that I can make it work that searching thing. :lol:
Huddie

Postby Rocky » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:15 pm

These recordings for both LMS and MOM and a third yet unreleased album have been all made over an extended period beginning in 2001 and heading to 2010, that even Jerry likely can't figure it out. They were done in various studios beginning with Phillips Recording Studio in Memphis and going all the way to Los Angeles, CA. Many of the dates are in my book "Ferriday Fireball", and who played on these sessions, but the songs are not listed. Many instruments and guest stars were dubbed in after the main vocal sessions. It's a real cock-up as the British would say.
Rocky

Postby PeterC » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:34 pm

You've both mentioned 2001, but I'm pretty sure that the first recording was 'Evening Gown', originally recorded for an (aborted) movie soundtrack in September 2002.
PeterC

Postby Rocky » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:54 pm

Okay... here's your recording dates Huddie, for whatever reason you want them! Remember, tracks from the "LMS" sessions also ran into the "MOM" sessions which ran into sessions for a third yet unreleased album that Judith said would be released last September titled "Rock 'n' Roll Time".
February 16-19, 2003, the actual first recording sessions for LMS began at Sam Phillips Studio in Memphis with producer Jimmy Rip, Ken Lovelace, Hutch Hutchinson, Jim Keltner. Songs recorded here: Evening Gown/Before the Night is Over/Pink Cadillac/Twilight/Travelin' Band/That Kind of Fool/Just a Bummin' Around/Honky Tonk Woman/What Made Milwaukee Famous/Old Glory/Couple of More Years/Trouble in Mind/I Saw Her Standing There/Lost Highway/Hadacol Boogie/What Makes the Irish Heart Beat/The Pilgrim. (All other singers vocal overdubs added in various studios later)!
Mid-April, 2003, vocal overdubs were added to several songs at Sam Phillips Studio on songs recorded at February session.
May 4, 2003, one more song "Rock 'n' Roll" recorded at Sam Phillips Studio in Memphis.
July 7, duet "A Couple of More Years" from earlier session had Willie Nelson voice dubbed in Texas.
October, 2003, duet "What Made Milwaukee Famous" from earlier session had Rod Stewart's voice dubbed at Rippertones Studio in Los Angeles.
November 29-December 3, 2004, 13 tracks recorded at the Record Plant in Los Angeles produced by Jimmy Rip to complete LMS album and for next MOM album. These include: Sweet Little Sixteen.
March 30, 2005, duet "Sweet Little Sixteen" from previous session had Ringo Starr's voice dubbed at the Record Plant in Los Angeles.
Three other tracks from the LMS sessions would be used on the follow-up album MOM - example "Bright Lights, Big City".
Mid-September, 2006, LMS album finally gets released after four years in the making.
Future sessions for MOM began later in September of 2008 at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles... that's another story.
Rocky

Postby PeterC » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:56 pm

Rocky wrote:February 16-19, 2003, the actual first recording sessions for LMS began at Sam Phillips Studio in Memphis with producer Jimmy Rip, Ken Lovelace, Hutch Hutchinson, Jim Keltner. Songs recorded here: Evening Gown/Before the Night is Over/Pink Cadillac/Twilight/Travelin' Band/That Kind of Fool/Just a Bummin' Around/Honky Tonk Woman/What Made Milwaukee Famous/Old Glory/Couple of More Years/Trouble in Mind/I Saw Her Standing There/Lost Highway/Hadacol Boogie/What Makes the Irish Heart Beat/The Pilgrim. (All other singers vocal overdubs added in various studios later)!

I'm fairly certain that "Evening Gown" was mentioned in FBM around the time of the 2002 Birthday Show. I also doubt very much that all those other undubbed recordings were recorded so quickly.

Additionally, the JLL / George Jones duet (or at least the vocals) were recorded in June 2005. I met Roland Janes when I went to Memphis that month, and he told me that a few days previously Jerry and George had recorded in the Phillips Studio (I was the one who broke the news on the JLL Yahoo Forum).
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:18 pm

Rocky wrote:Three other tracks from the LMS sessions would be used on the follow-up album MOM - example "Bright Lights, Big City".

This song was not on MOM, but was in fact a bonus track on one of the variations of LMS.
PeterC

Postby Rocky » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Yes, Peter...I noticed that right after I mentioned the "Bright Lights, Big City" track. It's actually reserved for the supposedly upcoming 3rd album ROCK 'N' ROLL TIME. And yes, I know it was released previously not on an album! When I had long conversations with Roland in 2010 and 2012 we went over the tracks and listings on most of these songs. I made notes at the time and they are quite close to the info I received... at least the Phillips Studio tapes. The California sessions and dubbed in voices are something else. Roland also said; "Jerry didn't need to ad all that shit with other artists singing with him. The songs were strong enough without their voices." It was the record company that wanted the duets as an added sales thing, and they were likely right. It helped the album reach the million mark. Roland was also able to supply me with a good CD with all the remaining tracks for the sessions that produced LMS and MOM, and there is quite a few of them actually. Enough for two more CDs, 25 altogether (if you count the re-cuts in).
Rocky

Postby martin bates » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:58 pm

Great info,thanks. So much simpler recording in the old days, it seems !
As far as Evening Gown, I think the accepted wisdom was that this was the first collaboration with Jimmy Rip that spawned the Idea of getting Jerry back in the studio, Around 2001 / 2002. ? Done for a soundtrack as Peter said.
According to Peter Guralnick's LMS sleeve notes the first recordings were in June 2001....but then he says that 'Rock and Roll was the first track ( a bit of poetic license perhaps as the story follows a quote from the song).
I was always under the impression that Ringo recorded 'live' in the studio with Jerry. There is the photo of them all together ,while it doesn't follow that should prove anything, I just thought that was always the case.

Might check out the old FBM s :)

Martin.
martin bates

Postby PeterC » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:53 pm

martin bates wrote:...but then he says that 'Rock and Roll was the first track ( a bit of poetic license perhaps as the story follows a quote from the song).

I believe that this was recorded at least twice, including an early rejected take with Jerry's full road band. So perhaps he's referring to this? Of course (as I mentioned earlier), "Evening Gown" wasn't recorded specifically for LMS, but was instead a rejected movie soundtrack recording.

martin bates wrote: I was always under the impression that Ringo recorded 'live' in the studio with Jerry.

Me too!
PeterC

Postby martin bates » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:47 pm

FBM of jan/feb 2003 confirms Paul's info about the february recordingss.Gary Skala present at the sessions.Also listed is a song by Georgia & the Satelites "keep your hands to yourself". The following issue repeats details & reports that overdub sesions took place in April and that in May Jerry and road band did a new recording of 'Rock and Roll", as Peter suggested .In this issue it reports that Mick J. has overdubbed a vocal on one of the songs and that one or more of the songs "will be featured" in the forthcoming movie "Why Men Should Not Get Married".In another story Jimmy Rip played a single CD of 'Old Glory' during a night out at Hernandos.Toby Keith added his part later.
Martin
martin bates

Postby PeterC » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:08 pm

September 2002 : recording session, two songs, at Sam Phillips Studio in Memphis.

From Graham Knight : Several of the people who were at Jerry's birthday party visited Sun at 639 Madison, Memphis.
Roland is in charge there and he reported that Jerry had been in the Madison studio a few weeks earlier and had been in the company of some movie people who had booked studio time. Jerry put down two tracks for an up-coming movie - but is all the information I have apart from the fact that one was up tempo. Jerry had chatted about the old times to Roland for about half an hour prior to getting down to work with the Hollywood people.

From Claudio Forte : I was in Memphis for Jerry's birthday, whilst in Memphis I popped in to Phillips studios to have a chat with Roland Janes. He did tell me that Jerry recorded two songs for a movie one slow and one fast. Apparently the movie is not yet in production yet so i don't know what movie etc. More interesting though Jerry was in the studio a few weeks before recording some old and new stuff with just the piano and himself no one else. After asking Roland if it will be released he kept his cards closed to his chest, I do hope so. Lets all hope we get a new release of some sort that would be great.

I wonder what the 2nd (uptempo?) song was? I still believe that one of the songs was 'Evening Gown' (can't recall where I saw the info), despite the fact that it was also recorded at the session(s) below (remake? overdubs?).

February 15-20, 2003 (approx.) : recording session in Memphis, Phillips Recording Studios.

The session is produced by Jimmy Rip. Musicians include Ken Lovelace (guitar), “Hutch” Hutchinson (bass), Jim Kettner (drums). Songs recorded : I saw her standing there/Pink Cadillac/Travellin’ band/I’ve got a few years on you baby/The Pilgrim/Rock’n’roll/Evening gown/Keep ypur hands to yourself/That’s what make an Irish heart sing/Old Glory/Before the night is over/That kind of fool/Last cheater’s waltz.(See FBM 40/4 and 5)

Note the mention of 'Last Cheater's Waltz', another LMS-era bonus track of course.
PeterC

Next

Return to Albums