Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby tchr » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:22 am

Seen this one?
JerryLeeKnoxPhillipsEPK
http://vimeopro.com/directholdings/jerr ... o/96807782
tchr

Postby rockin532000 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:20 pm

I finally got my cd in the mail and I seriously can say, I do like it! Much better then my impression I had frome the samples. Among other things it just reminded me of how great Jerry is on the piano and a master of improvisation if that is the right word. There is of course no hit material on it (at least not the way it is presented), unlike the Cash record "Out among the stars" but it is very refreshing to have some new things from years past when Jerry was still in top form.

Of course, I am disappointed to see that it is Colin Escott who writes that the recordings were from the late 70's. In one song Jerry is even referring to the fact that Sam Phillips produced Crazy Arms some 15 years ago...

One question for the experts: At the bottom of the CD text it says produced by Knox Phillips and JLL Ferriday Inc. Is this Jerry' s own company and was he even involved in this release? Ok, these are two questions, I admit.

Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby rockin532000 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:21 pm

I finally got my cd in the mail and I seriously can say, I do like it! Much better then my impression I had frome the samples. Among other things it just reminded me of how great Jerry is on the piano and a master of improvisation if that is the right word. There is of course no hit material on it (at least not the way it is presented), unlike the Cash record "Out among the stars" but it is very refreshing to have some new things from years past when Jerry was still in top form.

Of course, I am disappointed to see that it is Colin Escott who writes that the recordings were from the late 70's. In one song Jerry is even referring to the fact that Sam Phillips produced Crazy Arms some 15 years ago...

One question for the experts: At the bottom of the CD text it says produced by Knox Phillips and JLL Ferriday Inc. Is this Jerry' s own company and was he even involved in this release? Ok, these are two questions, I admit.

Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby Rocky » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:36 pm

These recordings were actually produced by Knox Phillips and his uncle Jud Phillips...no matter what the liner notes say. They were recorded November 28/29, 1973 at Phillips Recording Studio on Madison Avenue. The sessions were engineered by Roland Janes in the summer of 2013...his last project. That was also at same studio where the tracks were recorded.
Rocky

Postby PeterC » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Rocky wrote:These recordings were actually produced by Knox Phillips and his uncle Jud Phillips...no matter what the liner notes say. They were recorded November 28/29, 1973 at Phillips Recording Studio on Madison Avenue. The sessions were engineered by Roland Janes in the summer of 2013...his last project. That was also at same studio where the tracks were recorded.

No, some songs are definitely from March 13th 1974. They were even listed in FBM at the time.
PeterC

Postby rockin532000 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:15 pm

The producing reference is not made in respect of the original recording (there the title of the cd says it all) but with respect to this release in 2014.
Best Wishes
P.S. My favourite is Music!Music!Music! not because of the song itself but it is nice to hear Jerry doing something out of his comfort zone
rockin532000

Postby Logan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:55 am

After listening to the album for a couple of days I love it. The album really shows what a genius at improvising Jerry Lee is. There's plenty of great ad-libs. For someone like me who has never heard any of these recordings before it's an absolute treat. My favorite tracks are Lovin' Cajun Style, That Kind Of Fool(without band) and Ragged But Right. But the whole album is great. The man is a musical genius.
Logan

Postby PeterC » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:52 am

Logan wrote:After listening to the album for a couple of days I love it. The album really shows what a genius at improvising Jerry Lee is. There's plenty of great ad-libs. For someone like me who has never heard any of these recordings before it's an absolute treat. My favorite tracks are Lovin' Cajun Style, That Kind Of Fool(without band) and Ragged But Right. But the whole album is great. The man is a musical genius.

Or at least was a musical genius... Of course, he can still play very well, but the days when he could improvise the way he did in the 70s & 80s are sadly long gone.
PeterC

Postby Logan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:28 pm

PeterC wrote:
Logan wrote:After listening to the album for a couple of days I love it. The album really shows what a genius at improvising Jerry Lee is. There's plenty of great ad-libs. For someone like me who has never heard any of these recordings before it's an absolute treat. My favorite tracks are Lovin' Cajun Style, That Kind Of Fool(without band) and Ragged But Right. But the whole album is great. The man is a musical genius.

Or at least was a musical genius... Of course, he can still play very well, but the days when he could improvise the way he did in the 70s & 80s are sadly long gone.

Peter, I think The Killer is still a musical genius today, although we don't get a chance to hear him truly improvise very much anymore because he plays the same songs at each show. If someone talks him into playing Rock And Roll Time live or any other track off the upcoming album I'm betting we will find how well he can still improvise :lol:
Logan

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 and 1974 CD

Postby PeterC » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:09 pm

And Chuck Berry is still a genius songwriter, we just don't hear his new songs anymore... :roll:

Back in the 70s & 80s he could perform many of the same songs night after night yet they generally had very different arrangements & piano solos. These days even in the studio there's been very little truly outstanding piano playing on recent albums.
PeterC

Postby Logan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:39 pm

PeterC wrote:And Chuck Berry is still a genius songwriter, we just don't hear his new songs anymore... :roll:

Back in the 70s & 80s he could perform many of the same songs night after night yet they generally had very different arrangements & piano solos. These days even in the studio there's been very little truly outstanding piano playing on recent albums.

There's no denying that things tend to sound pretty similar these days. But I think there still times where he shows that he's still a musical genius and can improvise, especially where he forgets lyrics, for some reason he very rarely chooses to ad-lib anymore. But there are times where he still can surprise us all with solos. Maybe he'll show us a trick or two on the upcoming tour.
Logan

Postby spanky1 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:54 pm

Without hearing it, I can't be sure if it's the same song, but RAGGED BUT RIGHT was an old Moon Mullican song.

Just watched the Knox Phillips video posted above. It looks as if he's had a stroke.
spanky1

Postby PeterC » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:59 pm

spanky1 wrote:Without hearing it, I can't be sure if it's the same song, but RAGGED BUT RIGHT was an old Moon Mullican song.

Yes, it's definitely the same song (I can recall Stephen Ackles cutting a nice version of this too).
PeterC

Postby martin bates » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:18 pm

I did a quick search & JLL Ferriday Inc is listed as a Business Corporation since September 2012 .
President is Jerry Lee Lewis; Judith Lewis is a Director.
So perhaps they are getting their fair share of this release :)

I think it's great btw , in the context of how & when it was recorded, with some truly magical moments that only a fan could love.

Martin.

rockin532000 wrote:
At the bottom of the CD text it says produced by Knox Phillips and JLL Ferriday Inc. Is this Jerry' s own company and was he even involved in this release? Ok, these are two questions, I admit.

Best Wishes
Joerg
martin bates

Postby rockin532000 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:10 am

Thanks Martin for the research! Appreciated.
Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

PreviousNext

Return to Albums