Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 and 1974 CD



Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby peter molecz » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:40 am

The personal tastes are different, but for me these recordings are supergreat ! My favourite Jerry Lee time are the mid 70`s and I´m one of the very few of us who likes the Odd Man In recordings very much - I think this time and these stuff
brings the music personality and individuality of Jerry perfect to daylight.

So, for me this is the most exiting release after a very longtime - the Karel van der Kemp and BearFamily release of unissued Mercury stuff in the mid 80`s or even since the Elektra recordings of 1979/80. I hope that the response and feedback will be as great as possible to have ALL this stuff released in the very near future.

I can´t wait for the complete versions of "Lovin´Cajun Style" and "Music, Music, Music" which must be the first (boogie)/
Charleston by the Killer !

I´m wondering if all of the song samples from cduniverse are really from the new album (?). Both versions of "That Kind Of Fool" are identically (?) and are too close to the arrangments on the Odd Man In album. Also "Harbour Lights" and maybe
"Beautiful Dreamer" are too different to the samples on the ACE offer and remembers me more to the later official recordings.

Best
Peter M.
peter molecz

 
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:35 am

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby Perk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Thanks PeterC for that link to a whole track!!!

I agree with Peter Molecz and his thoughts. Mine are much the same. I´m looking forward to this release. Also the new album 'Rock & Roll Time' excites me even though i heard many of the tracks.

Not been able to play any sample of the vinyl bonus track of 'That Kind Of Fool' though.

Will be a good September!
Perk

 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 1:49 pm

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby wolfgangguhl » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:57 pm

peter molecz wrote:The personal tastes are different, but for me these recordings are supergreat ! My favourite Jerry Lee time are the mid 70`s and I´m one of the very few of us who likes the Odd Man In recordings very much - I think this time and these stuff
brings the music personality and individuality of Jerry perfect to daylight.


Absolutely!
wolfgangguhl

 
Posts: 3970
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Munich, Germany

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby PeterC » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:31 pm

To me Jerry's peak was the entire decade from 1961 to 1971 (& in particular 1967 to 1971), but I'm still excited about this release.

Incidentally, I believe that Tarp only played on the 1973 session, not 1974 (Jerry blamed Tarp for getting JLL Jnr on drugs & fired him after Jnr died, with Tarp not returning for a couple of years).
PeterC

User avatar
 
Posts: 3473
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby spanky1 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:40 pm

I've read conflicting dates for this material. Everything makes much more sense if it's the 1973/1974 time frame. However, the Saguaro Road site lists it as being recorded in the late 70's.

Which is correct?
spanky1

 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby PirateHook » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:22 pm

I know this, But i don't know if it is right. 28-29.11.73: Studio Demos, Sam Phillips Studio, Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Don’t Pass Me By (Tennessee Jesus) / Meat Man / Bad Bad Leroy Brown. 13.3.74: Studio Demos, Sam Phillips Studio, Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.A.
In The Sweet Bye & Bye / That Kind Of Fool / I Hate You / Rugged But Right / The Crawdad Song. In The Sweet Bye & Bye, must be the song? (No Headstone On My Grave)
PirateHook

 
Posts: 462
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby PeterC » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:35 pm

PirateHook wrote: In The Sweet Bye & Bye, must be the song? (No Headstone On My Grave)


No it is not. I've heard this demo, and it's a gospel song.
PeterC

User avatar
 
Posts: 3473
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby PirateHook » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Thanks! I have never heard it so i just made a guess. because those lines is also in No Headstone On My Grave.
PirateHook

 
Posts: 462
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby spanky1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:36 pm

Here's the response I received when I inquired about the dates.

To the best of Knox's memory he thought they were recorded right at the end of the Mercury years, but they were recorded over a period of time and we can't ID songs to any specific sessions.

So, are these late 70's or '73-'75 time frame? I can't believe it's that difficult to know.
spanky1

 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby PeterC » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:40 pm

spanky1 wrote:Here's the response I received when I inquired about the dates.

To the best of Knox's memory he thought they were recorded right at the end of the Mercury years, but they were recorded over a period of time and we can't ID songs to any specific sessions.

So, are these late 70's or '73-'75 time frame? I can't believe it's that difficult to know.


It's not difficult to know, they're from sessions in November 1973 and March 1974 as others have mentioned on here. Don't take any notice of idiots from record companies, listen to us JLL experts!
PeterC

User avatar
 
Posts: 3473
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby spanky1 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:41 am

PeterC wrote:
spanky1 wrote:Here's the response I received when I inquired about the dates.

To the best of Knox's memory he thought they were recorded right at the end of the Mercury years, but they were recorded over a period of time and we can't ID songs to any specific sessions.

So, are these late 70's or '73-'75 time frame? I can't believe it's that difficult to know.


It's not difficult to know, they're from sessions in November 1973 and March 1974 as others have mentioned on here. Don't take any notice of idiots from record companies, listen to us JLL experts!

Oh, I don't doubt the experts here. I find it humorous(and sad) that the record company doesn't know. And goes even further to say that Knox doesn't know.
spanky1

 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby Rocky » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:19 pm

Peter is correct...The sessions are from late November, 1973, and mid-March, 1974. Five years before his Mercury contract expired in 1978. Around about the time he recorded the Memphis sessions album in the middle of these demos. Many of these songs were later recorded for Mercury properly. In fact, "Room Full of Roses" was recorded for Mercury first.
Rocky

 
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:51 pm

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby PeterC » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:18 am

I got an advance copy of this today, listening to it right now... very enjoyable! I'll certainly be playing this more often than any post-1980 studio album.
PeterC

User avatar
 
Posts: 3473
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby Henry » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:29 pm

I,ve just ordered it from Ginza and quite suprisinly i found it to be rather cheep.109 swedish kr, that,s about 12 Euros.
What does it cost in other countries?
Henry

 
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 3:31 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby thrund » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:23 pm

Henry wrote:I,ve just ordered it from Ginza and quite suprisinly i found it to be rather cheep.109 swedish kr, that,s about 12 Euros.
What does it cost in other countries?


CD Universe:
12.58 US$ + shipping (6.99 US$)

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

User avatar
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Germany

PreviousNext

Return to Albums

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest