Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 and 1974 CD

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 and 1974 CD

Postby martin bates » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:55 pm

Regarding this release, I've had time to give it a proper listen now & want to re-think my previous glib comment about moments 'only a fan could love'. While I think it's true that fans will appreciate more in these recordings than the casual listener, the performance themselves are actually very good with some genuinely outstanding pieces. Anyone who is on the fence about getting a copy should have no doubts. We've been privy to many out takes,alternate takes, & run through's etc over the years and I think these recordings are a cut above. For example the poor quality Leroy Brown that's been around for a while does the actual recording no justice whatsoever. And while I like the Andy Paley session with San Antonio Rose/ Mona Lisa ,here with a full band that is really on the money, Jerry surpasses that in my opinion. Most interesting & that really made me sit up & listen was Beautiful Dreamer. A lot of thought has gone into it & I wish the interesting sleeve notes had more to say about this one; who wrote the narrative ? it's not an ad lib moment for sure. Personally, I don't think Mack Vickery is right for this - his voice too heavy handed for my taste & an bit too in awe of the Killer on what is essentially a tribute to someone else. That's one track could have done with another attempt I think. In addition a bit more care with Jerry's voice at times too close to the mike or too far away & it could be a really good recording. Lovin Cajun Style is a credit to the producers of this release, with the 2 short recordings available (according to the notes) made into one enjoyable take. Without going through the tracks one by one - it is a really great release and has really stood the test of time.There is not a bad track.
PS - I should add there is also the rarest of all moments - Jerry says he made a mistake !!!

Martin.
martin bates

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby peter molecz » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:09 pm

PeterC wrote:
Rocky wrote:These recordings were actually produced by Knox Phillips and his uncle Jud Phillips...no matter what the liner notes say. They were recorded November 28/29, 1973 at Phillips Recording Studio on Madison Avenue. The sessions were engineered by Roland Janes in the summer of 2013...his last project. That was also at same studio where the tracks were recorded.

No, some songs are definitely from March 13th 1974. They were even listed in FBM at the time.

As the liner notes say "recorded in the late 70`s" and the involvement of the late Roland Janes mixing these sessions - I´m remembering the mention
of unreleased "Roland Janes sessions" in 1979 in the book Killer ! (page 216). "Beautiful Dreamer" and "That Kind Of Fool" is on this list. Could it be that Roland Janes produced this session together with Knox ? Only speculations.

Peter M.
peter molecz

Re: Knox Phillips Sessions 1973 CD

Postby PeterC » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:32 pm

peter molecz wrote:As the liner notes say "recorded in the late 70`s" and the involvement of the late Roland Janes mixing these sessions - I´m remembering the mention
of unreleased "Roland Janes sessions" in 1979 in the book Killer ! (page 216). "Beautiful Dreamer" and "That Kind Of Fool" is on this list. Could it be that Roland Janes produced this session together with Knox ? Only speculations.

I got that info from one of Dr Rock's friends, & I don't know how reliable he was (Dr Rock insisted I include it though). It could be possible that the "1979 session" is really 1973 and/or 1974 perhaps?
PeterC

Postby rockin532000 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:43 am

Besides the reference to Crazy Arms being recorded some 15 years ago, Jerry also mentions Watergate and Richard Nixon. Two clear indications that at least some songs were actually recorded in 73/74.
Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby PeterC » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:43 am

rockin532000 wrote:Besides the reference to Crazy Arms being recorded some 15 years ago, Jerry also mentions Watergate and Richard Nixon. Two clear indications that at least some songs were actually recorded in 73/74.
Best Wishes
Joerg

Again, ALL the songs on the CD were recorded 73/74. There's no doubt about this whatsoever (for those who do doubt it, I suggest you look at the two reprinted articles in the latest 'Fire-Ball Mail'). I was referring to the (supposed) recording session with Roland Janes in 1979 that's listed in Jerry's first autobiography.
PeterC

Postby peter molecz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:12 pm

PeterC wrote:
rockin532000 wrote:Besides the reference to Crazy Arms being recorded some 15 years ago, Jerry also mentions Watergate and Richard Nixon. Two clear indications that at least some songs were actually recorded in 73/74.
Best Wishes
Joerg

Again, ALL the songs on the CD were recorded 73/74. There's no doubt about this whatsoever (for those who do doubt it, I suggest you look at the two reprinted articles in the latest 'Fire-Ball Mail'). I was referring to the (supposed) recording session with Roland Janes in 1979 that's listed in Jerry's first autobiography.

It´s not the main point, if all these recordings are from 1973,1974 or 1973,1974,1979. The liner notes tell us, that Jerry came also into the studio AFTER
he left Mercury. The question for me is, if the so called "Roland Janes recordings" from 1979 (?) are part of the Knox Phillips stuff. Paul told me several times, that Jerry recorded a lot of stuff for Knox (around 40 songs ??) and there are many recuts as well as songs which have been released later by
Mercury, Elektra and other labels. As these Roland Janes recordings include so many recuts and regarding his involvment in the project, it´s not unlikely that these
songs are part of the whole stuff and we know a bid what we can expect for the future.
peter molecz

Postby PeterC » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:41 pm

The recordings on the CD are definitely not from 1979. His voice sounded different from this after he had sinus surgery in early 1976.

Not sure I even believe the liner notes, as it seems to me they don't know what they're talking about.
PeterC

Postby matt gilliam » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:35 am

I have been enjoying this album for the last 2 weeks. Every time I go through it, it gets better. He was really on top of the game in this period. Maybe it's because it's new to my ears or maybe it is the high point in his career. He is so sure of himself and cocky. Great stuff. Bring on some more.
matt gilliam

Postby Amadeu » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:09 pm

PeterC wrote:The recordings on the CD are definitely not from 1979. His voice sounded different from this after he had sinus surgery in early 1976.

Not sure I even believe the liner notes, as it seems to me they don't know what they're talking about.

You only have to see/listen the Jerry Lee's show in Los Angeles in 1974 (where he sings , for instance, Haunted House) to realize that some songs from Knox Phillips Sessions are from that year.

About the session, every time I listen to it I think its better.Lately, Im hooked on the Canadian Sunset..Its magic to listen the piano playing ..

On the other hand, I hate all the Jerry's versions of Beautiful Dreamer and Room full of Roses! I dont like those songs at all!
Amadeu

Postby PeterC » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Stuart Coleman wrote an excellent article on this album for the November issue of Now Dig This (he even mentions a Peter Checksfield, whoever he is). Apparently the Time Life / Saguaro Road release of this album comes with a DVD! Does anyone know what's on it???
PeterC

Postby peter molecz » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:03 pm

PeterC wrote:Stuart Coleman wrote an excellent article on this album for the November issue of Now Dig This (he even mentions a Peter Checksfield, whoever he is). Apparently the Time Life / Saguaro Road release of this album comes with a DVD! Does anyone know what's on it???

I think the EPK promo video from end of July
peter molecz

Postby PeterC » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:29 pm

Thanks Peter. I was hoping for something more (at least 1973-1974 TV shows in perfect quality).
PeterC

Postby PirateHook » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:21 am

It is the EPK, it was mentioned and pictured on JerryLeeLewis.org FB page earlier. But i didn't know it came with all the sales? Thought it was just a gift for some chosen fans.
PirateHook

Postby Rocky » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:20 pm

Received a phone call from Doctor Rock (Charles White) last evening. He is not impressed with the Knox Phillips sessions at all but he does like Rock and Roll Time album. Myself, the Knox Phillips album is one of my least favorites. Too much "mutherhumping" in it and Jerry straying away from the words. The instrumental "Canadian Sunset" doesn't sound anything like that song. Only track I really like is "Lovin' Cajun Style". In "Carol" (what could have been a great song) he doesn't even know the verses or words and keeps repeating Carol over and over. This album is a mess.
Rocky

Postby PeterC » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:57 pm

Rocky wrote:Received a phone call from Doctor Rock (Charles White) last evening. He is not impressed with the Knox Phillips sessions at all but he does like Rock and Roll Time album. Myself, the Knox Phillips album is one of my least favorites. Too much "mutherhumping" in it and Jerry straying away from the words. The instrumental "Canadian Sunset" doesn't sound anything like that song. Only track I really like is "Lovin' Cajun Style". In "Carol" (what could have been a great song) he doesn't even know the verses or words and keeps repeating Carol over and over. This album is a mess.

I can assure you (& Dr Cock) that you're in the minority amongst older fans. Most of us much prefer this album of 1973-1974 outtakes to the other album featuring 2003-2009 outtakes.

I bet he doesn't like the new book either! :lol:
PeterC

PreviousNext

Return to Albums