Postby unchained » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Love that song Peter!

Almost better then the duet.... :wink:
unchained

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:31 pm

unchained wrote:Love that song Peter!

Almost better then the duet.... :wink:

I agree! :D

If this song had been recorded by The Rolling Stones in the late 60s / early 70s (instead of by Mick in the early 90s) it would be considered an all time classic.
peterchecksfield

Postby Maarten K. » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:35 pm

I remember seeing this song on dvd at a friends house. He's a huge Stones fan and when I brought him a copy of LMS, he couldn't wait to let me hear this version. But he added he loved Jerry's version as well. Me too, altough Mick's voice sounds a bit strange at times (probably due technical improvements).
Maarten K.

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:41 pm

Maarten K. wrote:I remember seeing this song on dvd at a friends house. He's a huge Stones fan and when I brought him a copy of LMS, he couldn't wait to let me hear this version. But he added he loved Jerry's version as well. Me too, altough Mick's voice sounds a bit strange at times (probably due technical improvements).

Although the song was never a hit for Mick (& I don't think it was even a single), it must be a favourite of his. Not only did he revive it with Jerry 9 years after first releasing it, but he also closed his recent 'best of' CD with the song.
peterchecksfield

Postby Tommy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:33 pm

Oh I love that song. Jerry sings very good on it and it feels like he can relate much to the song. Too bad he never includes it on his repertoire.
Tommy

Postby bailbath » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:25 pm

Just been listening to Last Man Standing back to back with Kid rocks cd Rock n Roll Jesus.
A good combination.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Joe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:23 am

Have to agree about Evening Gown on LMS--a great, under recognized song. I must say that That Kind Of Fool w/ Keith Richards, also. Both Jerry Lee and Richards sign with obvious affection.
Joe

Postby Andrew McRae » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:36 am

Just been listening to Last Man Standing back to back with Kid rocks cd Rock n Roll Jesus.
A good combination.
Ian

That's a bizarre coincidence: I did exactly the same thing last evening...

Andrew :)
Andrew McRae

Postby bailbath » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:38 am

Andrew McRae wrote:
A good combination.
Ian

That's a bizarre coincidence: I did exactly the same thing last evening...

I also drank a couple of Ciders and sang along, how about you?
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby BigMugs » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:42 am

It's interesting to hear all the experts favorites on LMS - they're all very different from each other, which just reflects all of our cultural background differences I guess. I noticed no one picked Pink Cadillac though, which stood out for me above the rest in terms of real commercial appeal, and tight rockin with The Boss. The sax break in that was really rippin'. The video was also a real kick for me as well, to see a younger animated version of Jerry Lee flyin' around in that '59 Caddy with the top down.
Oddly enough, I liked the ones most others didn't - Don't Be Ashamed Of Your Age, Just Bummin' Around, and Couple More Years. Any one of those could've and should've been nominated for a Best Celeb Duet award by the CMAs. I think the only ones I didn't really care for was Twilight, which woud have fared much better with a slower tempo. I liked the words, but it seemed like he was always gasping for air, and not able to put the real emotion that the song needed into the lyrics due to the rushed pace that it was going. For me, the style didn't fit him at all, and should've been left on the shelf as a failed experiment.
BigMugs

Postby Andrew McRae » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:33 am

I also drank a couple of Ciders ...., how about you?
Ian

.. no, the coincidences end there! I'm afraid that's just not my 'bag'!

Andrew McRae

Postby Tony Papard » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:40 am

BigMugs wrote:It's interesting to hear all the experts favorites on LMS - they're all very different from each other, which just reflects all of our cultural background differences I guess. I noticed no one picked Pink Cadillac though, which stood out for me above the rest in terms of real commercial appeal, and tight rockin with The Boss. The sax break in that was really rippin'. The video was also a real kick for me as well, to see a younger animated version of Jerry Lee flyin' around in that '59 Caddy with the top down.
Oddly enough, I liked the ones most others didn't - Don't Be Ashamed Of Your Age, Just Bummin' Around, and Couple More Years. Any one of those could've and should've been nominated for a Best Celeb Duet award by the CMAs. I think the only ones I didn't really care for was Twilight, which woud have fared much better with a slower tempo. I liked the words, but it seemed like he was always gasping for air, and not able to put the real emotion that the song needed into the lyrics due to the rushed pace that it was going. For me, the style didn't fit him at all, and should've been left on the shelf as a failed experiment.

So many great tracks on LMS, but two of my favorites are 'A Couple More Years' and 'What's Made Milwaukee Famous'. I just LOVE these duets with Willie Nelson and Rod Stewart.

'Hadacol Boogie' with Buddy Guy really rocks, more so than on the 'Live' DVD.

'The Pilgrim' with Kris Kristofferson is also a great track.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby bailbath » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:13 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:
I also drank a couple of Ciders ...., how about you?
Ian

.. no, the coincidences end there! I'm afraid that's just not my 'bag'!

Dare I ask what is your 'bag' ?

Ps My fave track is Honky Tonk Woman on LMS Pink Caddy is right up there, I like Twilight - the lyrics ' don't put me in a place upon a mantle where memories grow dusty old and gray' (I thinks that's right?) The Pilgrim is great too oh and Rock n Roll, Before the night is over Hadacol boogie really rocks.

Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Tommy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:00 pm

BigMugs wrote:It's interesting to hear all the experts favorites on LMS - they're all very different from each other, which just reflects all of our cultural background differences I guess. I noticed no one picked Pink Cadillac though, which stood out for me above the rest in terms of real commercial appeal, and tight rockin with The Boss. The sax break in that was really rippin'. The video was also a real kick for me as well, to see a younger animated version of Jerry Lee flyin' around in that '59 Caddy with the top down.

I can agree with you on the mosts things there but gosh I just love Twilight and thinks the song suits the Killer perfect! But as you´re saying; maybe it was rather difficult for him to sing? He hasn´t played it live as far as I know. But I think he really puts his feeling on it though.

Don´t be Ashamed.. is one of the the few pieces on LMS I don´t like.

My favourite is You don´t have to go! Sorry that he didn´t bring justice to the song on the Letterman show :cry:
Tommy

Postby Bobby McGee » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:18 pm

bailbath wrote:
Ps My fave track is Honky Tonk Woman on LMS

I don´t know why, but I like the slow songs on LMS more than the fast.
Especially
Evening Gown
That kind of fool
Twilight (great song by Robbie Robertson of "The Band" I think)
Couple more years
The Pilgrim (oh great lyricist Kris Kristofferson, great, isn´t he?)
Bobby McGee

PreviousNext

Return to Albums