Last Man Standing

Last Man Standing

Postby richjohnson26 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:42 am

It is now not too far off a year since Last Man Standing came out. I thought that this being the case I ask everyone how listened to the album is amongst Jerry-Lee fans. Does it still rate amongst your most listened to Jerry-Lee albums for the last year? What are your favourite/most listened to songs 11 months on?

For me I listen to some of the tracks of LMS a lot even if I don't listen to the whole album. My most listened to songs would be definitely 'Before the Night is Over' probably followed by 'Travellin' Band'. 'Before the Night is Over' has become one of my all time favourite Jerry-Lee tracks.
richjohnson26

Postby jayhawks » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:54 am

HADACOL Boogie 8) is my prefered tune from LMS (since i saw that tune live)!

i am "working" to hear the complete bearfamily mercury box for the last few days, really great tunes!!
jayhawks

Postby Richard Harvey » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:10 am

I still listen to mine. It hasn't been 'filed' yet, so to speak. As I expected, I'm bored of the contrived chatter. "Big toe, little toe, gravel road" all that. But whatever - it's still a good album. Rather than list the ones I like, the two I always skip are Travellin Band and Milwauke.

My original US copy 'skips' on Pink Cadillac, so I got a friend to pick me one up from his recent trip to Memphis, (the US copy is the 'book' version, much nicer than the UK release!).
I told him to get it from the Sun shop - I noticed they were selling them when I was there. He sent me a phone picture saying "See! I've bought your bloody album!"

Of course, I never usually keep the price tag on CDs, but I will on this one. It proudly proclaims 'Sun Studio'!
--
Richard Harvey

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:16 am

I haven't played my copy for several months, though I will dig it out again soon. In the long run though I don't think it will have the longevity for me of 'The Return Of Rock', 'The Killer Rocks On' & the lst Elektra album...but it will certainly get more plays than 'I-40 Country', 'My Fingers Do The Talkin'' & 'The Class of '55'!
peterchecksfield

Postby richjohnson26 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:16 am

The only track I always skip is 'What Makes an Irish Heart Sing', I know Jerry-Lee can sing almost anything but that starts to stretch his style a bit far for me.
richjohnson26

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:18 am

richjohnson26 wrote:The only track I always is 'What Makes an Irish Heart Sing', I know Jerry-Lee can sing almost anything but that starts to stretch his style a bit far for me.

I think it's a good song & Jerry does a fine job on it, but I agree the lyrics don't suit Jerry at all.
peterchecksfield

Postby richjohnson26 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:22 am

Its the pipes etc at the beginning that gets me. For me a Jerry-Lee should be fairly open/raw if that makes sense. I know that you'd struggle to call LMS raw but at least most of the other tracks are standard piano, guitars, drums and bass (with sax thrown in here and there). I prefer that sound to the overdubbed female backup vocals thrown at so many Jerry-Lee tracks in the past to almost beef them out and tame them so it seems to me.

Perhaps the spoken bits at the beginning and end of some tracks are there to try and add a sense of rawness
richjohnson26

LMS - favorite tracks

Postby Tony Papard » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:57 am

I haven't listened to it for a while, but then I rarely listen to any of my records or CDs. I have to be in the mood. Usually I like to listen to them on a portable CD player or audio cassettes when on a long journey, or sunbathing (not been much of that this Summer!)

As to Last Man Standing, unlike many fans, one of my favorite tracks is still 'What Made Milwaukee Famous' with Jerry Lee and Rod Stewart. I absolutely LOVE it. And after listening to the Palomino version recently I realize this is where Rod Stewart probably got three of his ad-libs from: Palomino version: 'they play another Jerry Lee song' 'love can't live behind those honky-tonk doors' 'You're to blame, boy!'

I also love 'A Couple More Years' with Willie Nelson. And 'Old Glory' with Toby Keith, though it's a little short.

'Hadacol Boogie' and 'Rock and Roll' are my two favorite uptempo tracks on this album.

But of course, as so many have said before and after its release, it is not a pure Jerry Lee album. We haven't had one of those for 12 years. High time we now had a solo album from Jerry with songs he hasn't previously recorded.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

LMS

Postby martin bates » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:00 pm

I still regularly play it & I have a copy in the car as well,where I rotate discs quite often.
I haven't changed my positive view since my first hearing.....but 'Irish Heart' is certainly the weakest for me; I don't particularly like the song & Jerry struggles it seems. Since LMS Live ,Kid Rock has grown on me more (I've never strongly disliked him) & I suppose HTW is the track that I like 'more' since first hearing......also partly because I'm used to the different arrangement- I'd expected more of a slower paced take in the beginning & it seemed a bit rushed.I've always said it'll stand the test of time (& hopefully remain a steady seller to the casual browser) & I think that's certainly true.
Martin.
martin bates

Postby flip54 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:10 pm

I've put half a dozen tracks on my mp3 player,mainly the uptempo ones and Twilight. In recent months I've played the dvd more often than the cd.
The Bear boxes get more play than either

Flip
flip54

Postby Tumppi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:42 pm

flip54 wrote:I've put half a dozen tracks on my mp3 player,mainly the uptempo ones and Twilight. In recent months I've played the dvd more often than the cd.
The Bear boxes get more play than either

Flip

When Last Man Standing came out I hadn't heard Jerry's singin since 1997 when he was performin in Helsinki (I didn't have computer then so I couldn't even download his newer performances). I bought that album when it was brand new. When I got home from the store I put the CD immediately to the player and when "Rock'n Roll" started i almost falled down from the chair. I didn't expect so tight performance from Jerry any more.

I played the album very much when it was new, but now i play more Jerry's 50's-70's records.

By the way I think "Irish Heart" is very good song and well performed by Jerry Lee. My favorites of Last Man Standing are probably "Rock'n Roll", "Before The Night Is Over", "Hadacol Boogie" and "Evening Gown". Tracks I don't like very much are "Traveling Band", "Honky Tonk Woman" (both very good songs but bad arrangements) and "I Saw Her Standing Here".
Tumppi

Postby Richard Harvey » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:00 pm

Tumppi wrote:By the way I think "Irish Heart" is very good song and well performed by Jerry Lee. My favorites of Last Man Standing are probably "Rock'n Roll", "Before The Night Is Over", "Hadacol Boogie" and "Evening Gown". Tracks I don't like very much are "Traveling Band", "Honky Tonk Woman" (both very good songs but bad arrangements) and "I Saw Her Standing Here".

I could have written that! It mirrors my thoughts exactly.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby peterchecksfield » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:07 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:
Tumppi wrote:By the way I think "Irish Heart" is very good song and well performed by Jerry Lee. My favorites of Last Man Standing are probably "Rock'n Roll", "Before The Night Is Over", "Hadacol Boogie" and "Evening Gown". Tracks I don't like very much are "Traveling Band", "Honky Tonk Woman" (both very good songs but bad arrangements) and "I Saw Her Standing Here".

I could have written that! It mirrors my thoughts exactly.

Pretty much mine too (though I'm fed up with 'Before The Night Is Over' after hearing it live so often).
peterchecksfield

Postby Tommy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:43 pm

I still rate it as the best record that was released in 2006 and I listen to it almost every day! For me it´s much easier to say which songs on LMS I dislike.
"Just bumming around" isn´t really the highlight on the record though it has grown a bit, and "Don´t be ashamed of your age" is just to sprightly for me. The song "Old glory" is the worst! I just can´t manage to hear that disguisting song to the end! Sorry!
Tommy

Postby Perk » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Tommy wrote:I still rate it as the best record that was released in 2006 and I listen to it almost every day! For me it´s much easier to say which songs on LMS I dislike.
"Just bumming around" isn´t really the highlight on the record though it has grown a bit, and "Don´t be ashamed of your age" is just to sprightly for me. The song "Old glory" is the worst! I just can´t manage to hear that disguisting song to the end! Sorry!

Interesting that this subject was brought up! I think i haven´t listened to LMS the last 5-6 months, but i did tonight, and i like it nearly as much as i did the first time. His absolute best since "Killer Country" on Elektra in my opinion.

I say as Tommy, it´s easiest to say which tracks i dislike. That´s just one, it´s "Old Glory". Perhaps not a bad track, but does nothing for me.

Perk ; )
Perk

Next

Return to Albums