ELEKTRA Killer Country

ELEKTRA Killer Country

Postby tchr » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:32 am

tchr

Re: ELEKTRA Killer Country

Postby Richard Harvey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Is there any news of bonus tracks on the three new Electra CDs?
--
Richard Harvey

Postby wolfgangguhl » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:50 pm

I don't think those Elektra albums have been released in their entirity on CD before. Looking forward to it.
wolfgangguhl

Postby paperboy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:58 am

wolfgangguhl wrote:I don't think those Elektra albums have been released in their entirity on CD before.

Correct

wolfgangguhl wrote:Looking forward to it.

Me too Wolfgang. I love those albums. Such a variety of styles on them (but all american roots music) showing the listener The Killer can play just about anything his way (Jerry Lee Lewis style!).

'Jukebox Junky' has always been one of my favorite tracks from the 'Killer Country' album (first time I heard the song on a small radio back in 1980 I thought it was an old Jerry Lee recording!) and, of course, 'Over The Rainbow' is another one. I've used 'Over The Rainbow' on radioshows I guested on to show the listeners what a fabulous pianoplayer Jerry is. His pianowork on this song almost sounds like classical piano!

For years I thought the arrangement of 'Folsom Prison Blues' was a completely new one until I heard Jerry Reed's cover of the song (from his 1973 album 'Lord, Mr. Ford').

P.S. For the Dutch Jerry Reed fans; I've just found this very nice Dutch website http://www.jerryreed.nl/
TV producent John de Mol: “Ik zie het meer als een algemene tendens in dit land, dat wie boven het maaiveld probeert uit te steken altijd op weerstand stuit. Hou het maar bij het oude, doe maar gewoon en doe eigenlijk liever vooral niks. “
paperboy

Postby martin bates » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Never heard that before ! (the Jerry Reed version)
I thought Jerrys was a new arrangement as well...... still outstanding fiddle from Kenny :) On the whole I think the Elektra recordings are great; I thought so at the time & still do; many of the Caribou recordings are superb as well.

Martin.

paperboy wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:I don't think those Elektra albums have been released in their entirity on CD before.

Correct

wolfgangguhl wrote:Looking forward to it.

Me too Wolfgang. I love those albums. Such a variety of styles on them (but all american roots music) showing the listener The Killer can play just about anything his way (Jerry Lee Lewis style!).

'Jukebox Junky' has always been one of my favorite tracks from the 'Killer Country' album (first time I heard the song on a small radio back in 1980 I thought it was an old Jerry Lee recording!) and, of course, 'Over The Rainbow' is another one. I've used 'Over The Rainbow' on radioshows I guested on to show the listeners what a fabulous pianoplayer Jerry is. His pianowork on this song almost sounds like classical piano!

For years I thought the arrangement of 'Folsom Prison Blues' was a completely new one until I heard Jerry Reed's cover of the song (from his 1973 album 'Lord, Mr. Ford').

P.S. For the Dutch Jerry Reed fans; I've just found this very nice Dutch website http://www.jerryreed.nl/
martin bates

Postby PeterC » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:14 pm

His last truly great album imo.
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:28 am

ALBUM COVER RATING: 4/5

I'm going through Jerry's albums on here and giving marks out of five for the album covers (regardless of the actual content)...

At last, Elektra used a photo instead of a drawing as an album cover! Not the most flattering perhaps, but a big improvement over the last two.
PeterC

Return to Albums