unreleased elektra live lp

unreleased elektra live lp

Postby bluesinc. » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:58 pm

i´ve heard that elektra planned a live album. does soembody know anything about that propject or did it end as the tomato cds?
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Re: unreleased elektra live lp

Postby PeterC » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:19 pm

bluesinc. wrote:i´ve heard that elektra planned a live album. does soembody know anything about that propject or did it end as the tomato cds?

Yes, it was the Palomino recordings... though the live album was released several years before the Tomato CDs, in 1985...

PeterC

Postby PeterC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 am

Come to think of it, there was some talk of the 2nd Elektra album being part live & part studio. Sure glad that didn't happen...
PeterC

Postby bluesinc. » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:58 am

a yes, i have that one, think it´s better tha n the tomato stuff, so this is the planned thing, tracklist etc...ok.
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby PeterC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:26 am

bluesinc. wrote:a yes, i have that one, think it´s better tha n the tomato stuff, so this is the planned thing, tracklist etc...ok.

I don't think there was a planned tracklisting as such, but least all the songs on this album are from the same concert & lack overdubs. A pretty good album I thought, apart from the sloppy & out of time 'Hey Good Lookin''.
PeterC

Postby bluesinc. » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:54 am

it´s spinningright now. these steve cooper records, he released them because he had the rights to it? and were they widely available/promoted, they look real cheap...
www.girmindl.at

bluesinc.

Postby PeterC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:15 pm

bluesinc. wrote:it´s spinningright now. these steve cooper records, he released them because he had the rights to it? and were they widely available/promoted, they look real cheap...

I believe he was some sort of "manager" of Jerry's for a while. I don't think they were widely available.

This CD is exactly the same album (despite what it say on the cover):

PeterC

Postby dee » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:45 pm

Vapor's Club may be the same as Six of one, Half a dozen of the Other (I haven't heard that album) but it's not the same as the Palomino recordings on the Tomato CDs....just listen to the first 2 tracks No Headstone and Chantilly Lace on Vapor and then listen to Live at the Palomino Club on tomato...completely different nights....
dee

Postby PeterC » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:48 pm

dee wrote:Vapor's Club may be the same as Six of one, Half a dozen of the Other (I haven't heard that album) but it's not the same as the Palomino recordings on the Tomato CDs....just listen to the first 2 tracks No Headstone and Chantilly Lace on Vapor and then listen to Live at the Palomino Club on tomato...completely different nights....

Some of the tracks on the Tomato CDs are the same, others are different. I explained all this fully in the sessionography that I wrote for Jerry's 1993 autobiography.
PeterC

Postby dee » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:58 am

Ok. I thought you were saying the 2 were exactly the same. I haven't read the Bio but will look for a copy on Amazon. Thanks for the suggestion. The only books I've read on Jerry Lee are by Robert Palmer, Nick Tosches & Jimmy Gutterman. The Vapor cd seems to have a better flow and sound too. I was able to pick a dozen or so favorites from the 2 cd Palomino and make a good show but so many of the cuts on the Palomino cd have that electric piano which can sound really tiny....It doesn't have the striking intensity of a "real" piano. I will say what i enjoy the most are Jerry Lee's comments before, during, and after many of the songs.
dee

Postby PeterC » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:45 am

dee wrote:Ok. I thought you were saying the 2 were exactly the same. I haven't read the Bio but will look for a copy on Amazon. Thanks for the suggestion. The only books I've read on Jerry Lee are by Robert Palmer, Nick Tosches & Jimmy Gutterman. The Vapor cd seems to have a better flow and sound too. I was able to pick a dozen or so favorites from the 2 cd Palomino and make a good show but so many of the cuts on the Palomino cd have that electric piano which can sound really tiny....It doesn't have the striking intensity of a "real" piano. I will say what i enjoy the most are Jerry Lee's comments before, during, and after many of the songs.

The Tomato CDs are from two different sources:

A series of shows in mid 1979, which feature a real piano but (unlike the Vapors CD) also guitar & drums overdubs.

1 or more shows circa early 1986, which feature an electric piano and (I think) no overdubs.
PeterC

Postby dee » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Ok. This is beginning to make sense. What a mess but some good music in there too. Thanks for the info.
dee

Return to Albums