Orby Records Spotlights - are there overdubs?

Orby Records Spotlights - are there overdubs?

Postby Ajarius49 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:02 am

Just bought this album (solely for unissued unknown take of "It'll Be Me").
All the tracks here sound very differently to the ones issued on all sets. And the inlay says:
All titles recorded between 1955 and 1958 at the Sun Studio, Memphis, Tennessee, featuring Luther Perkins on guitar and Marshall Grant on bass.

But the back cover says:
Hits and rarities recorded at the Sun Studio, Memphis, Tennessee, 1956-1959, featuring Roland Janes on guitar and J.M. Van Eaton on drums.

As far as I know, Luther Perkins and Marshall Grant never played with Jerry Lee in the Sun studio, so this can be only a later overdubs.
Listened and compared guitar as well as bass on versions from Orby, Original Sun singles LP, and Classic 8-CD set. My conlusion has to be: There are no overdubs at all on this CD. Any extra sounds I believed to hear, are due to better sound, louder sound, and most of all: "Electronically enhanced mono, to get a stereo effect" (As it was officially called at one time, long ago).
What do you think about?
Ajarius49

Re: Orby Records Spotlights - are there overdubs?

Postby Perk » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:25 pm

I have a copy of that album, but i actually only listened to it because of that new take of 'It´ll Be Me' discovered by expert Andrew. Not the rest of the album. But will do so.
Perk

Postby Ajarius49 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 am

Thank you. And who is this expert Andrew?
Ajarius49

Postby PeterC » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:18 am

Ajarius49 wrote:Thank you. And who is this expert Andrew?

Andrew McRae. You'd have seen his name many times on CD covers, in Fire-Ball Mail and (more recently) in Now Dig This.

What's your name?
PeterC

Postby Ajarius49 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:41 pm

Thank you.
BTW, Andrew wrote also these comments on Amazon concerning the "shameless, inadequate facsimile" of two first albums by Jerry Lee:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/S-VINYL-Jerry-L ... B0058RA85M
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jerry-Lee-Lewis ... B000PTYNO0
Ajarius49

Postby bailbath » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:07 pm

Andrew is a member here and sometimes pops up to add his great knowledge to discussions. He has not posting for a while maybe he will say hello......
:D Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Perk » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:16 pm

Ajarius49 wrote:Thank you. And who is this expert Andrew?

Just listened to the Orby Cd. It makes me wonder if you ever have heard electronically enhanced mono before? I have some Elvis records they did this on and they are awful! On this Orby CD it´s just the usual tracks destroyed to cd with lots of compression. But this one is really sounding better than most other cd´s though. That´s my plus!
Perk

Return to Albums