A Whole Lotta Jerry Lee Lewis

Re: A Whole Lotta Jerry Lee Lewis

Postby PeterC » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:39 pm

I did suggest a "complete" U.S. Sun / Smash / Mercury (& Elektra / MCA?) singles boxset instead, but everyone (including you Andrew) rejected that idea... :wink:

Even if that happened, I'm not entirely sure where I'd put those 1969 - 1971 Sun International hits though.
PeterC

Postby Andrew McRae » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:47 pm

[quote="PeterC"]I did suggest a "complete" U.S. Sun / Smash / Mercury (& Elektra / MCA?) singles boxset instead, but everyone (including you Andrew) rejected that idea... :wink:
Last edited by Andrew McRae on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew McRae

Postby Andrew McRae » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:57 pm

x
Last edited by Andrew McRae on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew McRae

Postby chris morris » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Full page review of the boxset in the new issue of Mojo (the one dated May on the cover!) plus a full page photo of Jerry and a short interview with him. The review itself is very positive but still begs the question of just who this boxset is aimed at. It's too expensive compared with loads of cheaper introductions to Jerry for the casual buyer and certainly doesn't offer much to long term fans. Still, the article provides good publicity for the man himself.

Chris
chris morris

Postby bailbath » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:31 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/musi ... Lewis.html

'I took enough pills for the whole damn town, drank enough whiskey to lift any ship off the ground.” So sang Jerry Lee Lewis, with a throaty mixture of boastfulness and fatalism on one of his lesser-known singles in the mid-Seventies. In the chorus he concluded, “My life would make A Damn Good Country Song.”

Songs aside, Lewis’s life has inspired several books, a West End musical and a film starring Dennis Quaid, not to mention a river of lurid headlines that have heaped infamy on the rock ’n’ roll pioneer since the 1950s, when he married his 13-year-old cousin.

The deaths of two further wives and two sons, his own near-death from drink and drugs, car crashes, battles with the tax man, an arrest for waving a gun around outside Elvis’s house... so much has been written about Lewis’s off-stage misadventures that it’s unsurprising that many have missed the extraordinary amount of music he’s made during the past 50 years.

An aptly titled new box set, A Whole Lotta... Jerry Lee Lewis, provides a chance to catch up. With almost 100 songs comprising every major single and his best album tracks from the Fifties to the Eighties, it’s the closest to the complete works of Jerry Lee ever assembled – and what an eye-opening collection it is.

If Lewis had recorded only his first hits, Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On and Great Balls of Fire, his place in rock history would be assured. They still sound like an earthquake and a volcano respectively. What’s remarkable is that from there the music gets continually better, as Lewis evolves into one of the greatest piano and vocal stylists of the 20th century.
Related Articles

But is the man behind the music really the man-monster of legend? Lewis has always played up to his own mythology. Like a prototype rapper, his few self-penned songs are self-aggrandising. In Rockin’ Jerry Lee he assures us, “I’m the rockin’-est cat on piano you ever did see!” Yet off stage, he’s hidden behind a smokescreen of jokey one-liners and drunken after-show rants. A reluctant and rare interviewee, he nevertheless agreed to talk to me via email.

Growing up in rural poverty, his earliest musical memory was “Listening to the Grand Ole Opry with my parents on the old battery radio. I was about four or five years old when it really got my attention.”

The Lewises were tenant cotton farmers but Jerry Lee had a rich uncle, Lee Calhoun, from whom he got his middle name and in whose house he encountered his first piano at the age of eight. Recalling his first public appearances, his piano perched on a truck in neighbourhood parking lots with his father passing round a hat, Lewis says, “When I would play certain songs up tempo the crowd would react differently. It was a great feeling when I knew I was doing what the crowd liked.”

Of his creative process, Lewis says: “I really never know what I will do with a song until I work with it a while.” Of Rockin’ My Life Away, for example, he says, “I did the arrangement as I recorded the song.”

But asked for personal insights, such as why so many great artists have led self-destructive lives, he says only, “I cannot answer that.” As a consummate showman, Lewis knows his mystique serves him well.

Rock criticism has traditionally celebrated songwriters, such as the Beatles or Bob Dylan. But like Elvis and Frank Sinatra, Lewis is an interpreter of others’ lyrics. He’s Olivier rather than Shakespeare, Nureyev not Tchaikovsky. And his recordings make a case for revaluing performance as highly as composition.

Regularly changing lyrics from “I’’ and “me’’ to Jerry Lee or his nickname, The Killer, is only one of the ways Lewis personalises a song. Although famous for flashy stagecraft, attacking the keys with feet, elbows and rump, he’s actually a musician of uncommon precision and a vocalist of great range and nuance.

And, as with Johnny Cash in his latter years, the world seems finally to be waking up to how good he is.

Lewis’s most recent albums, Last Man Standing and Mean Old Man, comprise duets with the biggest stars in the music business. From Bruce Springsteen and Jimmy Page to three Rolling Stones and a Beatle, they’re disciples, one and all. Against all odds, these records have given the 76-year-old singer the biggest album sales of his career.

The new box set will cement his reputation – although it’s unlikely to be the last word on a man who remains as passionate about music as he was when he first shook the world in 1957.

Asked for his plans from here, The Killer replies emphatically, “To keep rocking, if God is willing.”

A Whole Lotta... Jerry Lee Lewis is released on Salvo April 2
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Safc1973 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:47 pm

Good review in April country music people by Douglas McPherson :P
Safc1973

Postby richjohnson26 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:26 pm

The selection has also got Jerry Lee a mention on the front cover of Mojo Magazine also. Not really worth buying just for a one page advert of the record collection.
richjohnson26

Postby bailbath » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:46 pm

Got this collection now lovely package a great collection. Playing disc 4 at the moment sounds nicely balanced sound wise so far. Some great pictures and liner notes. Mentions our Peter C., Barrie Gamblin, Wim De Boer, Marla Rivera amoung others in the thanks.
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby tchr » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:01 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:If the strings-added version of "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" is included, then as far as I'm aware it will, indeed, be the first official issue in any format since the original US Mercury 45rpm release in 1981. It's a shame US Mercury didn't include it when they re-issued "Country Music Hall of Fame Hits Vol 1" to coincide with the single release, but they took the soft option and stuck with the 'raw' track. The track was then unaccountably excluded both from comprehensive 33-LP Bear Family vinyl box set and the later CD box sets. They did include "Swinging Doors" both as a 'raw' track and with the strings added several years later, so why do it for one and not the other? One possibility that occured to me at the time was that the master of the over-dubbed version simply couldn't be found.

I only hope that the new release doesn't turn out to be simply a 'dub' from a vinyl copy. Mercury / Universal in the UK has a bit of a history of this sort of thing, and a number of tracks on previous releases (e.g. "Many Sides of JLL") have quite clearly sourced from far-from-pristine vinyl - often with very disappointing results.

Andrew

So, is just a vinyl copy of I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry with strings, or has the master of the over-dubbed version been found?
tchr

Postby bailbath » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Gradually playing the discs in this collection and I think it sounds really well remastered. It also has a note at the bottom '*please be awarethat some of tracks on this compilation, due to the loss or damage of the original master tapes, have had to be dubbed from the best vinyl copy available.'
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby rockin532000 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:58 am

Overall, I am pleased with the package, its presentation, liner notes etc. Sound quality is a good as it gets. Similar to other posts I am wondering what has driven the song selection. I definitely would have chosen different/additional songs from albums such as "Country Class" or "Southern Roots" and potentially even from "The Session". In addition, I am disappointed by the Elektra and MCA song selection as well ("I am what I am" or "Number One Loving Man" etc.etc.)
Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby Dave McKee » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:45 pm

Got my copy today - only 14.45 GBP.
Dave McKee

Previous

Return to Albums