Third Man Live - Black & Blue (2011) / Black & CD (2012)

Re: Third Man Live - Black & Blue (2011) / Black & CD (2012)

Postby richjohnson26 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:03 pm

I've finally finished my review of the album for my blog.

http://rockitnroll.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... n-records/

Please have a read and leave some comments letting me know what you think, what you agree with and what you don't.
richjohnson26

Postby PeterC » Mon May 21, 2012 7:44 pm

richjohnson26 wrote:I've finally finished my review of the album for my blog.

http://rockitnroll.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... n-records/

Please have a read and leave some comments letting me know what you think, what you agree with and what you don't.

Very good! Having (finally) heard the album myself recently I'd say that's pretty much spot on.

The only thing I'd perhaps change is calling Georgia On My Mind a Ray Charles song, as it's actually a Hoagy Carmichael song from 1930 (though Ray's is the most well known, & imo definitive version).
PeterC

Postby rockin532000 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:58 am

I couldn't have written it any better. I fully share your view. Thanks for the post.

Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby niek81 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:27 pm

rockin532000 wrote:I couldn't have written it any better. I fully share your view. Thanks for the post.

Best Wishes
Joerg

A great write up indeed! I received the album about 2 weeks ago and have listened to it a few times. Though it's great to have a live album by Jerry lee in this century, I am not that enthousiastic as some of the people on the forum. Some songs come of good/OK but in many songs there some mistakes as well, due to the fact the band and Jerry are not really "melting together" on certain moments. On an album like Starclub, it didn't matter to much because there's sooo much energy, but at this age the energy level ain't as high as in 1964 so the music gets more important. Maybe I'm to critical because I'm a musician myself, but I would never agree to release an album with such messed up songs as I Wish 18 Again, it's not that just the lyrics are messed, that wouldn't be such a big deal. But due to the fact that Jerry messed up the song, the band not being able to catch up with that the result is just below quality in my opinion. Still a great album to have, I like the design and the mix and some songs sound good but overall, I'm not blown away. There's one little mistake in the review by the way:

"Overall I must return to how I kicked this review off. This could be almost any gig from 2205 onwards and this both the pro and con of the album."

I think you mean any gig from 2205 onwards, as I gues (and hope) Jerry will not be playing anymore around 2205 ;)
niek81

Postby Rocky » Tue May 22, 2012 6:00 pm

And I think you mean 2005!
Rocky

Postby lucasjenke » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:30 pm

After listening to the album over and over again here is my oppinion about it.

Down the Line: Fine Version just like he allways ( or mostly) did this song in the past few years

Georgia on My Mind: Fine version of this great standard even though I´m not to keen on Jerrys version. Give me Ray Charles version every time

Drinkin Wine Spode Ode: As you all said a bluesy version of it and I really somehow like it even though Jerrys singing on this song sounds bored

Before the night is over: A great version and the band did a great job . It even sounds better than on LMS I think

Why you been gone so long: The best rocker on this album I think. It sounds great

I Wish I was 18 Again : HORRIBLE ! Nothing more than painfull to listen to

Sweet Little Sixteen: A good version as we all know it. Nothin to exciting

You Belong to Me: I LOVE this song in every version. And Kennys solo on this one allways makes me feel like heaven

Mexicali Rose : A good version and I really got to like it .

GBOF and WLSGO: Both as we are used to

The sound is great on this VInyl even though the piano could be mixed a little louder. All in all a good album for a 75 year old man. I come to like it but I tend to listen more to the older stuff
lucasjenke

Postby Stefan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:26 pm

lucasjenke wrote:After listening to the album over and over again here is my oppinion about it.

Down the Line: Fine Version just like he allways ( or mostly) did this song in the past few years

Georgia on My Mind: Fine version of this great standard even though I´m not to keen on Jerrys version. Give me Ray Charles version every time

Drinkin Wine Spode Ode: As you all said a bluesy version of it and I really somehow like it even though Jerrys singing on this song sounds bored

Before the night is over: A great version and the band did a great job . It even sounds better than on LMS I think

Why you been gone so long: The best rocker on this album I think. It sounds great

I Wish I was 18 Again : HORRIBLE ! Nothing more than painfull to listen to

Sweet Little Sixteen: A good version as we all know it. Nothin to exciting

You Belong to Me: I LOVE this song in every version. And Kennys solo on this one allways makes me feel like heaven

Mexicali Rose : A good version and I really got to like it .

GBOF and WLSGO: Both as we are used to

The sound is great on this VInyl even though the piano could be mixed a little louder. All in all a good album for a 75 year old man. I come to like it but I tend to listen more to the older stuff

I wouldnt say that I Wish I Was Eighteen Again is horrible... It´s a song that isn´t rehearsed and Jerry hadn´t played it for a while and that you can hear. But at the same time it is/was Jerry today.
Stefan

Postby Rocky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:15 pm

I played it twice...my first and my last time.
Rocky

Postby Perk » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:10 pm

Paul, it sounds like you were as bored as me. I really thought this album had potential, being recorded analog and all. But i don´t think i´ve gotten through it yet.

I´ll take 'Bonnie B' on SUN anyday.
Perk

Postby PeterC » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Perk wrote:Paul, it sounds like you were as bored as me. I really thought this album had potential, being recorded analog and all. But i don´t think i´ve gotten through it yet.

The best thing about it is the drumming!
PeterC

Postby Rocky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Perk...strange you mentioned "Bonnie B". It has always been my favorite JLL disc on Sun. I play it a lot. A #2 hit in Sweden and it was a #7 hit in Canada. It should have been a big hit in the States but they kept playing "Money", and it failed to chart. The beat in "Bonnie B" is something else...Roland Janes steady guitar riffs. Rollie and I talked about that 2 years ago at Phillips Studio on Madison Avenue. Everyone could dance to that record. You couldn't play it without dancing to it. Sun writer Charles Underwood only wrote two songs at Sun, and that wuz one of 'em. The other..."Ubangi Stomp". He only had two songs in him..but they were good!
Rocky

Postby Perk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:17 am

Yes Paul, Bonnie B sure was a big hit here in Sweden. When you meet older people they always remembers that song, they have no idea about Great Balls Of Fire or Whole Lotta Shakin, but Bonnie B they do remember ...haha! It sure is a great recording!
Perk

Postby bluesinc. » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:35 pm

I wouldnt say that I Wish I Was Eighteen Again is horrible... It´s a song that isn´t rehearsed and Jerry hadn´t played it for a while and that you can hear. But at the same time it is/was Jerry today.[/quote]

true, but this is an live lp release and not just a concert. so if you press this onto vinyl, it will last. listening to bootlegs is always fun, but if it is an official record, no excuse for that.
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby PeterC » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:39 pm

The thing I find the biggest shame (especially as it seems probable now that there will never be another chance again) is that Jerry didn't take the time to dig out a few more unusual songs. How many of the songs on this album have been released officially before as live versions? I can't recall an official live version of 'Why You Been Gone So Long' off-hand, but I'm pretty sure everything else has.

Whenever artists like The Rolling Stones or Paul McCartney release live albums they go through past releases so that they can entice fans with songs they haven't heard (officially) live before...
PeterC

PreviousNext

Return to Albums