Third Man Live - Black & Blue (2011) / Black & CD (2012)

Re: Third Man Live - Black & Blue (2011) / Black & CD (2012)

Postby Stefan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:17 am

PeterC wrote:The thing I find the biggest shame (especially as it seems probable now that there will never be another chance again) is that Jerry didn't take the time to dig out a few more unusual songs. How many of the songs on this album have been released officially before as live versions? I can't recall an official live version of 'Why You Been Gone So Long' off-hand, but I'm pretty sure everything else has.

Whenever artists like The Rolling Stones or Paul McCartney release live albums they go through past releases so that they can entice fans with songs they haven't heard (officially) live before...

I Wish I Was 18 Again was probably the only "unusual" song Jerry did during this live shows (The songs come from two different shows ?) thats why it made it on the albun I think.
Stefan

Postby PeterC » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:54 am

Stefan wrote:
PeterC wrote:The thing I find the biggest shame (especially as it seems probable now that there will never be another chance again) is that Jerry didn't take the time to dig out a few more unusual songs. How many of the songs on this album have been released officially before as live versions? I can't recall an official live version of 'Why You Been Gone So Long' off-hand, but I'm pretty sure everything else has.

Whenever artists like The Rolling Stones or Paul McCartney release live albums they go through past releases so that they can entice fans with songs they haven't heard (officially) live before...

I Wish I Was 18 Again was probably the only "unusual" song Jerry did during this live shows (The songs come from two different shows ?) thats why it made it on the albun I think.

But the song was also recorded at The Palomino in 1979, in a far superior version.
PeterC

Postby niek81 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:18 pm

bluesinc. wrote:I wouldnt say that I Wish I Was Eighteen Again is horrible... It´s a song that isn´t rehearsed and Jerry hadn´t played it for a while and that you can hear. But at the same time it is/was Jerry today.

true, but this is an live lp release and not just a concert. so if you press this onto vinyl, it will last. listening to bootlegs is always fun, but if it is an official record, no excuse for that.[/quote]

I agree that it is horrible! I don't think any other artist/band would agree to include such a messed up song on a live recording. Both Jerry sound so bad. It doesn't have so much to do with the today JLL. Last couple of years Jerry played the same songs over and over, and his band knew exactly what to do. On one hand that's boring, on the other hand, there were no real mistakes in the show anymore. I do love Keltner on drums, but this band and Jerry are not used to each other. Memphis Beats (and I think many other bands) know exactly how to play songs like this, even when they never played it. The song is just a regular chord thing with a few suprises that almost every country/blues orientated band can play without rehearsals.
niek81

Postby Tommy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:15 pm

It´s pretty strange how different his voice sounds from time to time. And comparing his physical status from this with around 2006 I would say he was older at that year.
"Don't look at the clouds of tomorrow through the sunshine of today!"

Mick Jagger
Tommy

Postby PeterC » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:23 pm

The sound quality on that video is dreadful, sounds like it was recorded on a very cheap music centre (where's the bass?!). :oops:
PeterC

Previous

Return to Albums