Third Man Live - Black & Blue (2011) / Black & CD (2012)

Third Man Live - Black & Blue (2011) / Black & CD (2012)

Postby thrund » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:05 am

Last edited by thrund on Wed May 02, 2012 10:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Re: Live At Third Man Records (2011)

Postby Piet » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:37 am

So that will be our 500th version of Great Balls Of Fire, can't wait for the next release.......... :x
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby bailbath » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:09 pm

What do you think about the title Black and Blues?
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby bailbath » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:17 pm

From the website-
Well, it’s been a few months (just a few) but we now have the Jerry Lee Lewis Live At Third Man Records Black & Blues available for pickup in the Third Man storefront.If you live out of town and paid for shipping, they’ll be mailed directly to you. FYI.

Since this record is so special to us, we’ve decided to forgo the usual regular die cut plain black sleeve and do this one with full artwork. Which you can see below. Pretty isn’t it?

And just a heads up that the black vinyl edition of this record & CDs won’t be available for a few months, just these Black & Blues for now for the folks who were here on Record Store Day. So come down to the store anytime, bring your receipt and get your Jerry Lee Lewis Live At Third Man Black & Blue!
bailbath

Site Admin

Re: Live At Third Man Records - Black and Blues (2011)

Postby thrund » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:34 pm

thrund

Postby Logan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:22 pm

quote And just a heads up that the black vinyl edition of this record & CDs won’t be available for a few months, just these Black & Blues for now for the folks who were here on Record Store Day. So come down to the store anytime, bring your receipt and get your Jerry Lee Lewis Live At Third Man Black & Blue![/quote]

This means that the album will be made into a CD at some point correct?
Logan

Postby bailbath » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:57 am

http://exclaim.ca/News/third_man_record ... live_album

By Alex HudsonAs previously reported, rock'n'roll pensioner Jerry Lee Lewis spent this past Record Store Day (April 16) at Jack White's Third Man Records in Nashville, TN, where he performed a show and cut a live album. Now, the label has finally put out the album, and it looks as if this one will be available to the general public.

Judging by a post on the Third Man website, it seems that the initial pressing will only be sold to audience members who showed up at the gig and reserved a copy on the spot. This first run will be pressed on limited-edition black and blue vinyl.

Luckily for the rest of us, a standard black vinyl edition and a CD copy will likely be more widely available. These won't be released for a few months yet, though.

Of course, if you really can't wait, black and blue copies are bound to pop up on eBay. In the meantime, feast your eyes on the album cover above and tracklist below.

Live at Third Man Records:

1. "Down the Line"
2. "Georgia on My Mind"
3. "Drinking Wine, Spo-Dee-O-Dee"
4. "Before the Night Is Over"
5. "Why You Been Gone So Long?"
6. "I Wish I Was 18 Again"
7. "Sweet Little Sixteen"
8. "You Belong to Me"
9. "She Even Woke Me Up to Say Goodbye"
10. "Mexicali Rose"
11. "Great Balls of Fire"
12. "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On"
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby thrund » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:00 pm

thrund

Postby Andrew McRae » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:58 pm

A few thoughts about "Live At Third Man Records"...

The quality of the pressing is very good, great sound reproduction and it rocks pretty hard and heavy; definitely a 'play loud' LP. Whilst maybe at times the piano is not sufficiently to the fore, albeit it seems to be more in the left channel and on a second hearing I got more out of it through the simple expediency of sitting nearer to the left hand speaker. (You can tell from that what an audiophile I am... if it doubt move along the sofa!)

I've an idea the gainsayers will feast upon the technical errors and admittedly it sounds a little 'unrehearsed' and rough at times. Certainly there's no getting away from "18 Again" being a bit sloppy but most of it, notably on side two, which is perhaps the stronger part of the show, is well up to the mark. "Mexicali Rose' sounds just as good to me as on hearing the Sun cut for the first time in '74; some great piano on that one. Though we even get one of those priceless "what a heck of an ending" moments on that one! But who wants perfection anyway?

Steve Cropper takes solos on "Down The Line", "Drinkin Wine" and "Why You Been Gone" but generally is, perhaps, 'under-employed'. Although you do get to hear the first chord of "Soul Man" on the fade out after JLL has left the stage! Kenny is very prominent and plays great solos on "You Belong To Me" and "Mexicali Rose". I liked Jim Keltner's back-beat and roll on "Before the Night is Over", somehow more pronounced than on the LMS version, he really drives this one along (?) - quite distinctive. Even those who hate this song might grow to like, if not love, it on this hearing...

The packaging is great; one of the great JLL LP sleeves in my book, the inner sleeve is also pretty cool. For vinyl nuts, don't overlook the interesting 'scribble' in the dead wax which I imagine won't feature on 'regular' pressings when they emerge...

Overall, I'd rate this LP as a fine testament to the (then) 75 year old JLL - an amazing thing to have! if anyone had told me 40 years ago, when I bought "The Killer Rocks On" hot off the presses, that I'd be able to buy another brand new JLL LP in 2012 I'd have said they were completely bonkers...

Andrew

Andrew McRae

Postby thrund » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:45 pm

Thank you Andrew!
Sounds like true collectors stuff to me...I'm still waiting for the 'black without blue' vinyl.

Thomas
thrund

Postby Perk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:35 am

Thanks a million Andrew for your great review!

I have just a question, does it say anywhere on the cover if it´s an analog recording or a digital one put on vinyl? Just curious because i read Jack White cares about sound. Often he refused to send cd´s to radiostations, and instead he sent vinyls which they couldn´t play.

Perk
Perk

Postby PeterC » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:43 am

Perk wrote:Thanks a million Andrew for your great review!

I have just a question, does it say anywhere on the cover if it´s an analog recording or a digital one put on vinyl? Just curious because i read Jack White cares about sound. Often he refused to send cd´s to radiostations, and instead he sent vinyls which they couldn´t play.

Perk

You mean he actually records onto tape? impressive... 8)
PeterC

Postby Perk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Don´t know Peter, but Jack White apparently cares for good sound. Andrew wrote that it is a "play loud" Lp, which sounded very promising : )

Perk
Perk

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Perk wrote:Thanks a million Andrew for your great review!

Perk

Digital? What's that, then? This is a proper LP!! :wink:
Andrew McRae

Postby Perk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks Andrew once again. The picture of "Recorded live to tape" did it all for me : ) Must get this album. A collectors treasure indeed as Thomas said.

What´s digital? ...haha!

Perk
Perk

Next

Return to Albums