MERCURY - Country Memories

MERCURY - Country Memories

Postby Dave McKee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:00 pm

Country Memories (1977)

Middle Age Crazy / Let´s Say Goodbye Like We Said Hello / Who´s Sorry Now / Jealous Heart
/ Georgia On My Mind / Come On In / As Long As We Live / (You´d Think By Now) I´d Be Over You / Country Memories / What´s So Good About Goodbye / Tennessee Saturday Night

The sparkling return to form on Country Class pretty much stayed with Jerry for the final two Mercury albums, this one & Keeps Rockin'. Again there were many highlights, including the country-pop big hit Middle Age Crazy (a song I love on record but I'm not too keen on 'live'), the slow & fast Who's Sorry Now, Jealous Heart, Come On In, the dixieland Country Memories, & the only rock 'n' roll song Tennessee Saturday Night. I can live without Georgia On My Mind (I've always preferred Ray Charles' version) & the mixing could be a little better in places, but otherwise an extremely good album. 4 out of 5

Outtakes: Ivory Tears

The one unissued cut (at least until the mid '80's) is the first of two attempts at recording a beautiful Mack Vickery song.

This is from an excellent blog by Peter Checksfield. See the whole blog at http://themargatemusicman.blogspot.com/ ... years.html
Dave McKee

Re: MERCURY - Country Memories

Postby bluesinc. » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:14 pm

Thank you for keeping this thread about the albums running. I like this album very much. maybe because it was one of the first "regular" albums I bought. There was this second hand store with this old man in it. He always read newspapers and was smoking his self rolled cigarettes. Anyway, I was just turned 18 and I often went to this store. He had some friends and they were talking about old times, so I spent there some time and just listened. and I bought this LP there. When I had bought it I went home, I was still living with my mum then (she died in 2009) and played it to her. She knew about my music and had always an open ear, even it was 3 o´clock in the morning. So I have a thick releation to this record. As long as we live, Country Memories, Middle aged crazy, etc. I like most of the tracks and it´s one of my feves of the country era.
www.girmindl.at

first there was dorothy and then came jane, look out myra you´re looking insane, c´mon jaren you´re struttin´ the stuff, i think i´ll take pumpkin cause i can´t get enough
bluesinc.

Postby Henry » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:03 pm

This album will be available on or after Monday 1st February, 2016
http://www.bgo-records.com/albums/bgocd ... y-memories
Henry

Postby PeterC » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:08 pm

Henry wrote:This album will be available on or after Monday 1st February, 2016
http://www.bgo-records.com/albums/bgocd ... y-memories

Always loved those final 3 Mercury albums (these two + 'Keeps Rockin''), as good in their own way as the 3 Elektra albums that followed it.
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:17 am

ALBUM COVER RATING: 4/5

I'm going through Jerry's albums on here and giving marks out of five for the album covers (regardless of the actual content)...

This would've made a far better cover for 'Who's Gonna Play This Old Piano'! Quite suites the title and contents here too.
PeterC

Return to Albums