MERCURY - Odd Man In

MERCURY - Odd Man In

Postby Dave McKee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:57 pm

Odd Man In (1975)

Don´t Boogie Woogie (When You Say Your Prayers Tonight) / Shake, Rattle And Roll / You Ought To See My Mind / I Don´t Want To Be Lonely Tonight / That Kind Of Fool / Goodnight Irene / A Damn Good Country Song / Jerry´s Place / When I Take My Vacation In Heaven / Crawdad Song / Your Cheatin´ Heart

If anything his voice was sounding even worse on this album, & there was now the added problem of hearing a 2nd vocal in the background on some songs, the result of "leakage" when overdubbing. A real pity, as there's not a weak song on this album & Jerry's clearly trying his best. It's also the first real attempt to mix rock 'n' roll & country (plus a little gospel) equally on one album. Highlights include Don´t Boogie Woogie (When You Say Your Prayers Tonight), You Ought To See My Mind, I Don´t Want To Be Lonely Tonight, That Kind Of Fool & A Damn Good Country Song. If it wasn't for the vocal problems I'd give the album 5 out of 5, but instead I'll give it... 4 out of 5

Outtakes: The House Of Blue Lights / Lord What's Left For Me To Do / Great Balls Of Fire / The One Rose That's Left In My Heart

The House Of Blue Lights is my favourite JLL version of the song despite the fact that his voice sounds so hoarse (he went on to cut more versions in better voice in 1986 & 1994), & Lord What's Left For Me To Do is a very good country song. Less essential are Great Balls Of Fire (an interesting "old Tyme" arrangement marred by poor vocals) & an early rejected version of The One Rose That's Left In My Heart. All 4 songs were issued in the mid '80's. Also recorded (& again released in the mid '80's) was an alternate vocal version of A Damn Good Country Song.

This is from an excellent blog by Peter Checksfield. See the whole blog at http://themargatemusicman.blogspot.com/ ... years.html
Dave McKee

Re: MERCURY - Odd Man In

Postby Henry » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:36 pm

Henry

Postby PeterC » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:07 pm

It's also the first real attempt to mix rock 'n' roll & country (plus a little gospel) equally on one album.

This is what I wrote previously (and it's largely true), but it was actually the 2nd JLL album to include a mixture of rock & roll, country, gospel, blues and pop... the first one? Jerry's first album in 1958 of course!
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:14 am

ALBUM COVER RATING: 4/5

I'm going through Jerry's albums on here and giving marks out of five for the album covers (regardless of the actual content)...

Much as I generally prefer to see a proper photo of Jerry's face on the cover, this is an original and interesting idea.
PeterC

Return to Albums