MERCURY - Boogie Woogie Country Man

MERCURY - Boogie Woogie Country Man

Postby Dave McKee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:55 pm

Boogie Woogie Country Man (1975)

I´m Still Jealous Of You / A Little Peace And Harmony / Jesus Is On The Mainline (Call Him Sometime) / Forever Forgiving / Remember Me (I´m The One Who Loves You) / Red Hot Memories (Ice Cold Beer) / I Can Still Hear The Music In The Restroom / Love Inflation / I Was Sorta Wonderin´ / Thanks For Nothing / Boogie Woogie Country Man

Jerry Kennedy was back for the first time since the Who's Gonna Play This Old Piano album & the songs were stronger, but unfortunately Jerry's voice had greatly deteriated since the previous sessions. Much of this was due to Jerry's constant "partying", but it was also due to a broken nose that hadn't healed properly, therefore causing Jerry sinus problems. Still there's some very worthwhile highlights on here, including I'm Still Jealous Of You, Jesus Is On The Mainline (Call Him Sometime), I Can Still Hear The Music In The Restroom & the title track. 3 out of 5

Outtakes: Until The Day Forever Ends / Speak A Little Louder To Us Jesus / Honey Hush / No-One Knows Me

Although there was some cross-over during the recording of the Boogie Woogie Country Man & Odd Man In albums, the earlier sessions produced the above four outtakes. Speak A Little Louder To Us Jesus was a live favourite at the time, & Honey Hush is probably the best ever version by Jerry Lee Lewis (he also recorded it in 1957, 1973 & 1980, none of which were issued at the time!). Why these two superb tracks remained unreleased until the mid '80's is a mystery. The other two outtakes are less memorable though still more than OK. Again these remained unissued until the mid '80's.

This is from an excellent blog by Peter Checksfield. See the whole blog at http://themargatemusicman.blogspot.com/ ... years.html
Dave McKee

Re: MERCURY - Boogie Woogie Country Man

Postby PeterC » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:13 am

ALBUM COVER RATING: 3/5

I'm going through Jerry's albums on here and giving marks out of five for the album covers (regardless of the actual content)...

While not a bad photo as such, it's also pretty uninspiring. The album title deserved something better.
PeterC

Return to Albums