Bear Family - Southern roots the original sessions

Re: Bear Family - Southern roots the original sessions

Postby PeterC » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:35 pm

Safc1973 wrote:Good review by Douglas McPherson in this months country music people
Strange choice of album for cmp to reveiw considering its a jazz album :shock:

Jazz album? It's probably more of a soul album than anything, though there are of course also hints of rock & roll, rhythm & blues, gospel & country, among other genres (I can't hear any jazz though!).
PeterC

Postby Ulli » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:05 pm

PeterC wrote:
Safc1973 wrote:Good review by Douglas McPherson in this months country music people
Strange choice of album for cmp to reveiw considering its a jazz album :shock:

Jazz album? It's probably more of a soul album than anything, though there are of course also hints of rock & roll, rhythm & blues, gospel & country, among other genres (I can't hear any jazz though!).

Ok, perhaps not much of jazz, but definetely hints of it in 'Blueberry Hill', Big Blue Diamonds' and 'Margie'.
Keep Rockin'
Ulli

Postby PeterC » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:18 pm

I suppose it depends how you define jazz... to me this is just New Orleans rhythm 'n' blues (I certainly wouldn't call Fats Domino a jazz act). Definitely more of a soul album than anything though... certainly more a soul album than "Soul My Way"!
PeterC

Postby Ulli » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:08 pm

PeterC wrote:I suppose it depends how you define jazz... to me this is just New Orleans rhythm 'n' blues (I certainly wouldn't call Fats Domino a jazz act). Definitely more of a soul album than anything though.

I agree. But parts of BH and BBD are 'Old Time' and that's Jazz. But I never would call it a Jazz album. If we have to label it, then Soul.
Fats was / is in my eyes a Rhythm'n'Blues and Rock'n'Roll act, but sometimes, especially live in the long instrumental solos, he gets pretty jazzy.
That is what makes them so special - you can't label artists like JLL or FD on only one style - they are stylists themselves.
Keep Rockin'
Ulli

Postby martin bates » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:24 pm

Ulli wrote:
PeterC wrote:I suppose it depends how you define jazz... to me this is just New Orleans rhythm 'n' blues (I certainly wouldn't call Fats Domino a jazz act). Definitely more of a soul album than anything though.

I agree. But parts of BH and BBD are 'Old Time' and that's Jazz. But I never would call it a Jazz album. If we have to label it, then Soul.
Fats was / is in my eyes a Rhythm'n'Blues and Rock'n'Roll act, but sometimes, especially live in the long instrumental solos, he gets pretty jazzy.
That is what makes them so special - you can't label artists like JLL or FD on only one style - they are stylists themselves.

spot on; I was talking to a pianist the other day - he was playing where Monica & I went for our aniversarry meal - ahhh- & was off to play cruises for a short period then returning to do some session work with Beverly Knight ....we agreed most 'music lovers' may have a particular favourite style, but are generally open to all other sorts and that's true of all the great performers, I think - and partly why they retain a strong appeal. Interesting in the original post that CMP were reviewing the album. Douglas Mc P must have been writing for them for many years now, and was probably interested in the new release; when the original album came out it did very well in the country charts- despite the contents , probably the least country he'd done at that time.

Martin.
martin bates

Postby Safc1973 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:29 pm

martin bates wrote:
Ulli wrote:

spot on; I was talking to a pianist the other day - he was playing where Monica & I went for our aniversarry meal - ahhh- & was off to play cruises for a short period then returning to do some session work with Beverly Knight ....we agreed most 'music lovers' may have a particular favourite style, but are generally open to all other sorts and that's true of all the great performers, I think - and partly why they retain a strong appeal. Interesting in the original post that CMP were reviewing the album. Douglas Mc P must have been writing for them for many years now, and was probably interested in the new release; when the original album came out it did very well in the country charts- despite the contents , probably the least country he'd done at that time.

Martin.

Just googled where the album peaked & can you beileve it peaked at number 6 in billboard :shock: :shock: :shock:
Safc1973

Postby PeterC » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:30 pm

martin bates wrote:spot on; I was talking to a pianist the other day - he was playing where Monica & I went for our aniversarry meal - ahhh- & was off to play cruises for a short period then returning to do some session work with Beverly Knight ....we agreed most 'music lovers' may have a particular favourite style, but are generally open to all other sorts and that's true of all the great performers, I think - and partly why they retain a strong appeal.

The same applies to Queen; original thought of as a heavy metal band (particularly in the USA), but their music encompasses rock, glam, pop, funk, electronic & rockabilly, as well as opera & classical influences. Almost certainly the most diverse rock / pop act of all time, even more so than The Beatles.

martin bates wrote:Interesting in the original post that CMP were reviewing the album. Douglas Mc P must have been writing for them for many years now, and was probably interested in the new release; when the original album came out it did very well in the country charts- despite the contents , probably the least country he'd done at that time.

What number did it reach? I've never seen a country album chart listing for Jerry, but the album was a complete flop in the US pop album charts... and the single 'Meat Man' didn't sell much either.
Last edited by PeterC on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:31 pm

Safc1973 wrote:Just googled where the album peaked & can you beileve it peaked at number 6 in billboard :shock: :shock: :shock:

What, on the jazz charts? :wink:
PeterC

Postby Safc1973 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:00 pm

PeterC wrote:
Safc1973 wrote:Just googled where the album peaked & can you beileve it peaked at number 6 in billboard :shock: :shock: :shock:

What, on the jazz charts? :wink:

No country charts :lol: :wink:
Safc1973

Postby Safc1973 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Mind one of the songs I play constantly off this album ' that old bourbon street church'

Great tune if you listen carefully there a little touch of the theme tune minder in there well I think i can hear it anyway ( minder is a uk tv programme about a rouge car trader )
Safc1973

Postby martin bates » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:42 pm

PeterC wrote:
martin bates wrote:spot on; I was talking to a pianist the other day - he was playing where Monica & I went for our aniversarry meal - ahhh- & was off to play cruises for a short period then returning to do some session work with Beverly Knight ....we agreed most 'music lovers' may have a particular favourite style, but are generally open to all other sorts and that's true of all the great performers, I think - and partly why they retain a strong appeal.

The same applies to Queen; original thought of as a heavy metal band (particularly in the USA), but their music encompasses rock, glam, pop, funk, electronic & rockabilly, as well as opera & classical influences. Almost certainly the most diverse rock / pop act of all time, even more so than The Beatles.

martin bates wrote:Interesting in the original post that CMP were reviewing the album. Douglas Mc P must have been writing for them for many years now, and was probably interested in the new release; when the original album came out it did very well in the country charts- despite the contents , probably the least country he'd done at that time.

What number did it reach? I've never seen a country album chart listing for Jerry, but the album was a complete flop in the US pop album charts... and the single 'Meat Man' didn't sell much either.

well , the question has already been answered..but do you mean you've never seen any chart listing or just 'Southern Roots' ? All his albums in the day were country hits , and (like Southern Roots) even the Session went high in the charts despite it's content. 'Best Of' was on the charts for about 8 months.
- and yes Queen were terrific, although I've not heard anything like their full catalogue, but what's in the public domain is impressive.
Martin.
martin bates

Postby PeterC » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:12 pm

I've never seen any country album chart listing; I pretty much always rely on the book "Killer!" for any JLL chart info, and country album chart positions aren't in that.
PeterC

Postby Dave McKee » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Fireball Mail used to keep fans informed of Jerry's abum chart placings.
Dave McKee

Postby martin bates » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:03 pm

i used to follow the charts myself,so i can remember his albums fared well alongside his hit singles. tony papard's website had some info and I would imagine Paul's books do.I don't have them but his excellent Carl Perkins book shows chart placings as they happened.
Martin
martin bates

Postby Maarten K. » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:10 pm

Four stars in Dutch music magazine Revolver's Lust For Live.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maarten K.

PreviousNext

Return to Albums