Bear Family - Southern roots the original sessions

Re: Bear Family - Southern roots the original sessions

Postby peter molecz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:14 pm

PeterC wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:Interesting, "Creedence & Cajuns" and "Polk Salad Annie" are new to me.

I don't think these are anything new, just part of the chat that was first released back in '87.

It´s interesting that the 2 LP version includes "Studio Chatter #8 - Polk Salad Annie" too.
IMO it´s unlikely they include only the same chatter/song snippet which was already released in 1987.
As there are a few rehearsals omitted from the 1987 stuff, there must be a bid more material depending on the total running time.

Peter M.
peter molecz

Postby jarireinikka » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:22 pm

..and you still can´t pre-order "Four Legends of Rock´n Roll"-cd...just tried for fun...
jarireinikka

Postby jarireinikka » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:23 am

now you can listen 0.30 previews of all the tracks at Amazon.De...
jarireinikka

Re: MERCURY - Southern Roots

Postby Perk » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:02 am

Thanks Jari,

I haven´t really checked it but the track 'Raining In my heart' on disc 2 i can´t recall was on either the LP box or the later CD box.
Perk

Re:Bear Family - Southern roots the original sessions

Postby PeterC » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:09 am

jarireinikka wrote:now you can listen 0.30 previews of all the tracks at Amazon.De...

Got a link?
PeterC

Postby jarireinikka » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:52 am

jarireinikka

Postby Dirk B. » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Does anybody already have the CD- or LP-version from Bear Family??? If so, what are your impressions?
Dirk B.

Postby thrund » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Dirk B. wrote:Does anybody already have the CD- or LP-version from Bear Family??? If so, what are your impressions?

Just got it today....LP & CD...later than expected, to be honest...didn't open it yet....try to put some info online later today.

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby thrund » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:43 pm

thrund wrote:
Dirk B. wrote:Does anybody already have the CD- or LP-version from Bear Family??? If so, what are your impressions?

Just got it today....LP & CD...later than expected, to be honest...didn't open it yet....try to put some info online later today.

Thomas

Still no time for listening the entire stuff....but I got it unpacked.
Heavy vinyls, wonderful made jackets (both DoCD & DoLP)....full with info, details and good pics.
First look:
One pic in the CD booklet is wrong described...it shows producer Huey P. Meaux together with Al Jackson and not Killer with Al as it's written there....peanuts
I'm sure the audio will be as good as the 'optical impression' suggested.

Peter Molezc wrote on Yahoo:

"The new BearFamily release includes the following unreleases takes:

Raining In My Heart alt. vocal/piano mix
I Sure Miss Those Good Old Times vocal/piano mix incomplete
Cry (1) rehearsal vocal/piano mix
Cry (2) rehearsal vocal/piano mix incomplete
Born To Be A Loser rehearsal vocal/piano mix
Silver Threads Among The Gold vocal/piano mix
When A Man Loves A Woman master vocal/piano/mix

Peter M."

Thomas
thrund

Postby Dirk B. » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks for the information. I'll order the album, too.
Dirk B.

Postby paperboy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:57 am

PeterC wrote:
peter molecz wrote:Don´t expect too much "new" material.

The Locust Years CD box includes already 120 minutes of Southern Roots stuff !!!

This "new" Bear Family 2 CD has 124 minutes.

Peter M.

Interesting Peter! As Ulli suggested, maybe they've given track numbers to the in-between song chat.

The Southern Roots material wasn't released on 'The Locust Years And... The Return To The Promised Land' box set but on the 'Mercury Smashes... And Rockin' Sessions' set (CD 5 and 6 to be exact.. :wink: )

Have you already had any time to listen to the new LP/CD set Thomas?
TV producent John de Mol: “Ik zie het meer als een algemene tendens in dit land, dat wie boven het maaiveld probeert uit te steken altijd op weerstand stuit. Hou het maar bij het oude, doe maar gewoon en doe eigenlijk liever vooral niks. “
paperboy

Postby thrund » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:05 pm

paperboy wrote:The Southern Roots material wasn't released on 'The Locust Years And... The Return To The Promised Land' box set but on the 'Mercury Smashes... And Rockin' Sessions' set (CD 5 and 6 to be exact.. :wink: )

Have you already had any time to listen to the new LP/CD set Thomas?

Yep, I got the CD to listen meanwhile when I drove to Bavaria on Sunday....LP's I will put on the turntable when I'm back at home on weekend.

Truly said, I don't know if there is really new stuff on the new CDs....all content came pretty familiar over to me...I didn't had the time to compare the songs on the new release to the known sources we have already....BF Mercury Box Set (as you mentioned), Killer - The Mercury Years Vol.1-3 etc....anyway, I'm not the music expert to get out clear small differences on audios I have to confess.....I'm just a listener.

Image Image

For sure the sound on the DoCD is brilliant and it's joy to listen to it!

Thomas
thrund

Postby jarireinikka » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:31 am

One pic in the CD booklet is wrong described...it shows producer Huey P. Meaux together with Al Jackson and not Killer with Al as it's written there....peanuts

another much bigger mistake when telling about Jerry´s recordings throughout 60´s "another live European album"!!!! certainly shouldn´t do this kind of mistakes with "By Request"-album!
jarireinikka

Postby bailbath » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:42 am

http://www.examiner.com/article/jerry-l ... l-sessions

Jerry Lee Lewis fans get another peek into his music vaults Aug. 20 when the German reissue label Bear Family releases “Southern Roots : The Original Sessions.”

The original 10-track 1974 album was a curious experiment as it featured Lewis with some successes, such as “Meat Man,” which he has played often in shows, and also testing others, like “When a Man Loves a Woman,” and “Hold On I'm Coming.”

The new double CD expands on that by featuring all the original session tapes including the music that was scheduled to appear on a second “lost album” that was never released. Among the tracks on the new album are alternative versions of “Margie,” “When a Man Loves a Woman” and “Silver Threads Among the Gold,” plus studio chatter.

The past couple of years have seen a couple of phenomenal releases from Lewis that have given great looks into his archives. “Killer Live: 1964 to 1970”, an amazing three-CD set, featured outtakes from his live albums including his “Live at the Star Club,” regarded as one of the best live recordings ever, and "The Greatest Live Show On Earth."

In addition, there was also Razor and Tie's “The Complete Session,” a double CD that added several tracks to his great London recording sessions album that included such friends as Alvin Lee, Kenney Jones, Gary Wright, Kenny Lovelace, Brian Parrish, Klaus Voormann, Peter Frampton and Rory Gallagher. Neither of those, though, will eclipse Bear Family's "Classic: The Definitive Edition of His Sun Recordings 1956-1963" from several years back that collected almost all of his work for that label in one place.

But “Southern Roots : The Original Sessions” is yet another great addition for students of Jerry Lee's music and his historic catalog.
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Safc1973 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Good review by Douglas McPherson in this months country music people
Strange choice of album for cmp to reveiw considering its a jazz album :shock:
Safc1973

PreviousNext

Return to Albums