Bear Family - Southern roots the original sessions

Re: Bear Family - Southern roots the original sessions

Postby Perk » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:48 pm

It´s exciting with words like the 'Original sessions' and all neatly overdubbed. I really hope it means that even the original tapes that made up the original album is found. That album always sounded so flat and hopeless. When Bear Family came out with the unreleased stuff in the 80´s i heard 'Haunted House (extended version)' and the sound was 10 times better. That´s the way this album should have sounded to begin with.

An exciting release for sure. Can´t wait for the tracklist.
Perk

Re:Bear Family - Southern roots the original sessions

Postby PeterC » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:31 pm

Perk wrote:It´s exciting with words like the 'Original sessions' and all neatly overdubbed. I really hope it means that even the original tapes that made up the original album is found. That album always sounded so flat and hopeless. When Bear Family came out with the unreleased stuff in the 80´s i heard 'Haunted House (extended version)' and the sound was 10 times better. That´s the way this album should have sounded to begin with.

An exciting release for sure. Can´t wait for the tracklist.

I agree, the outtakes had much better sound quality than the original album, and also generally the actual songs were better.... Revolutionary Man, When A Man Loves A Woman and Blueberry Hill from the original album are all strong contenders for my least favourite JLL recordings (if those 3 songs were replaced with Cry, Margie and Raining In My Heart the album would've been much better in my opinion). I've also never been keen on the 1973 studio version of 'Meat Man'.
PeterC

Postby peter molecz » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:04 pm

Don´t expect too much "new" material.

The Locust Years CD box includes already 120 minutes of Southern Roots stuff !!!

This "new" Bear Family 2 CD has 124 minutes.

Peter M.
peter molecz

Postby PeterC » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:05 pm

peter molecz wrote:Don´t expect too much "new" material.

The Locust Years CD box includes already 120 minutes of Southern Roots stuff !!!

This "new" Bear Family 2 CD has 124 minutes.

Peter M.

Interesting Peter! As Ulli suggested, maybe they've given track numbers to the in-between song chat.
PeterC

Postby Perk » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:16 am

Thanks PeterM for checking the running time, i also checked the old Bear Family lp box and noticed out of those 31 tracks mentioned before by Ulli, one of them tracks is a studio chatter. So very likely the 39 tracks is made up of these things here too.

Too bad, i really was excited of this release.
Perk

Postby thrund » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:56 am

PeterC wrote:Interesting... Anyone got a full track listing?

Track list CD's:

Disc 1:
Meat Man • When A Man Loves A Woman • Hold On I’m Coming • Just A Little Bit • Born To Be A Loser • Haunted House • Blueberry Hill • The Revolutionary Man • Big Blue Diamonds • That Old Bourbon Street Church • Silver Threads Among The Gold • Hold On I’m Coming (fast version) • Take Your Time • All Over Hell And Half Of Georgia • I SureMiss Those Good Old Times • Raining In My Heart • Honey Hush • Cry • Margie

Disc 2:

Cry (alternative 1) • Studio Chatter #1 • Cry (alternative 2) • Studio Chatter #2 • Margie (alternative 1) • Margie (alternative 2) • Studio Chatter #3 • Silver Threads Among The Gold (alternative 1) • Silver Threads Among The Gold (alternative 2) • Born To Be A Loser • Studio Chatter #4 • When A Man Loves A Woman (alternative 1) • Studio Chatter #5 • When A Man Loves A Woman (alternative 2) • Meat Man (vocal/piano mix) • Raining In My Heart (vocal/piano mix) • Studio Chatter #6 – Creedence & Cajuns • I Sure Miss Those Good Old Times (alternative 1) • I Sure Miss Those Good Old Times (alternative 2) • Studio Chatter #8 - Polk Salad Annie

Track list LP's:

Side 1:

Meat Man • When A Man Loves A Woman • Hold On I’m Coming • Just A Little Bit • Born To Be A Loser

Side 2:

Haunted House • Blueberry Hill • The Revolutionary Man • Big Blue Diamonds • That Old Bourbon Street Church

Side 3:

Silver Threads Among The Gold • Hold On I’m Coming (fast version) • Take Your Time • All Over Hell And Half Of Georgia • I Sure Miss Those Good Old Times

Side 4:
Raining In My Heart • Honey Hush • Cry • Margie • Studio Chatter #8 – Polk Salad Annie

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:23 pm

Interesting, "Creedence & Cajuns" and "Polk Salad Annie" are new to me.
wolfgangguhl

Postby PeterC » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:53 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:Interesting, "Creedence & Cajuns" and "Polk Salad Annie" are new to me.

I don't think these are anything new, just part of the chat that was first released back in '87.
PeterC

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:21 pm

Are those on the Bear Family CD-Box as well?
wolfgangguhl

Re: MERCURY - Southern Roots

Postby PeterC » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:26 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:Are those on the Bear Family CD-Box as well?

I believe so. I've very rarely played the Southern Roots "raw" versions & chat, just the finished masters.
PeterC

Postby bailbath » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:36 pm

PeterC wrote:
wolfgangguhl wrote:Interesting, "Creedence & Cajuns" and "Polk Salad Annie" are new to me.

I don't think these are anything new, just part of the chat that was first released back in '87.

It depends if Pol Salad Annie is sung by JLL or the producer who is what is on the bear family collection? Creedence again not sure if that's just chatter or a actual song?
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby PeterC » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:48 pm

Just listen to the LP / CD folks, and you'll hear what these tracks probably are (I've get better things to do myself).
PeterC

Postby bailbath » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:27 pm

PeterC wrote:Just listen to the LP / CD folks, and you'll hear what these tracks probably are (I've get better things to do myself).

Lucky you :wink:
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby peter molecz » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:47 pm

It seems that not everything on the LP/Locust Years box sets is included.

Big Blue Diamonds (instr. piano mix) and the fast rehearsal of Hold On I´m Coming are missing on the list.

Peter M.
peter molecz

Postby thrund » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:11 pm

BF website is now ready for pre-order, after I had a phone talk yesterday to them and told them that the published links got wrong for pre-order.....it works fine now.

DoLP:
http://www.bear-family.com/en/news/sout ... 47546fb462

DoCD:
http://www.bear-family.de/bear-family-c ... -2-cd.html

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

PreviousNext

Return to Albums