Bear Family - Southern roots the original sessions

Bear Family - Southern roots the original sessions

Postby Ulli » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Just found this: http://www.bear-family.de/bear-family-cd-cd-box/bear-family-international/southern-roots-the-original-sessions-2-cd.html

39 titles? :shock:
I have the 3 vinyls of it, but this should include some unknown tracks or at least takes!
Keep Rockin'
Ulli

Re:Bear Family - Southern roots the original sessions

Postby jarireinikka » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:29 am

looks like there´s also going to be 2-lp of it,hopefully all the tracks are also on vinyl!!! http://www.bear-family.de/neuheiten/sou ... 2-lps.html , actually looks like not...20 tracks on vinyl(s),so this time I´ll have to get the cd´s as well.
jarireinikka

Re: Bear Family - Southern roots the original sessions

Postby PeterC » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:11 am

Interesting... Anyone got a full track listing?
PeterC

Postby jarireinikka » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:43 am

can´t find tracklist yet,and it can´t be even pre-ordered at the moment(at least I couldn´t,when I tried...)
jarireinikka

Postby PeterC » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:48 am

I can't imagine there being any new songs, just alternate takes.
PeterC

Postby jayhawks » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:05 am

from BEAR FAMILY:

"Southern Roots – The Original Sessions (2-CD)

2-CD DigiPak (6-plated) with 32-page booklet, 39 tracks. Playing time approx. 124 mns.

At long last here are the original session tapes that produced Jerry Lee Lewis' 1974 'Southern Roots' LP. Produced by Huey Meaux, a fellow Louisiana wildman, the final results reveal what happens when two fiery, free-spirited forces lock horns in the studio.

Meaux had just gotten out of prison and had a reputation you wouldn't want in your family tree. Separately, Meaux and Lewis each spelled trouble in a big way and could be impossible to work with. Together? God knows what would happen. The results could be an utter disaster or a stroke of genius. As Meaux later observed, "I knew Jerry and I would fight, but in the end we'd come out with the record. We fought, but we delivered."

For three days in September, 1973 Jerry Lee Lewis and Huey Meaux went at it, and each other. Listen as Jerry Lee is turned loose in the studio by a producer who did try to rein in Jerry's ego. In fact, Meaux did everything he could to feed it. That ego is nowhere more evident than on Jerry's version of the Percy Sledge 1966 hit, When A Man Loves A Woman, which Jerry turns into a sermon on war between the sexes.

Jerry and Huey cut mostly southern music – soul, country, R&B and a touch of swamp pop. They even included a surprisingly impassioned version of Johnny Ray's 1952 hit record, Cry.

Little did we know that there was supposed to be a second 'Southern Roots' album. Only ten tracks ever appeared on the LP – a scant 34 minutes of music - but we've got it all here, including the music that was scheduled to appear on the second 'lost album,' all neatly overdubbed and ready for release. We've also got the stuff you were never meant to hear, and there's plenty of it.

Some 40 years later this CD lets you be a fly on the wall as Jerry and Huey square off at one another, laughing, arguing and making music late into the night. It's Jerry Lee as you've never heard him before. "
I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

Postby wolfgangguhl » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:29 pm

I don't like them putting Huey Meaux on the same level as Jerry. It is well known that Huey abused children in the worst way possible.
wolfgangguhl

Postby Dirk B. » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Now this looks like a great release! I always thought there was too much overdubbing on the "Southern Roots" album, so I'm very curious about the "pure studio sound".
Dirk B.

Postby PeterC » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:11 pm

Dirk B. wrote:Now this looks like a great release! I always thought there was too much overdubbing on the "Southern Roots" album, so I'm very curious about the "pure studio sound".

I don't believe there was ANY overdubbing on "Southern Roots", despite what it says.
PeterC

Postby Dirk B. » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:17 pm

PeterC wrote:
Dirk B. wrote:Now this looks like a great release! I always thought there was too much overdubbing on the "Southern Roots" album, so I'm very curious about the "pure studio sound".

I don't believe there was ANY overdubbing on "Southern Roots", despite what it says.

So maybe I'm wrong in this case, but I'm curious anyway.
Dirk B.

Postby rockin532000 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Coming from Bear Family there is some hope that it is actually true although it is hard to believe there are a number of new songs and not just outtakes from outtakes. But why do they announced if you cannot even pre-order it?
I just downloaded the Bear Family App on my Ipad and there it is actually nowhere mentioned.
Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby rockin532000 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Sorry but on the webpage it is said to be released on 2nd August. The 2 LPs will contain 20 songs, the 2 CDs 39 songs.
Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby jarireinikka » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:51 pm

we´ll know that already,but the release date being so close,why it´s not possible to pre-order(not that I´d do it anyway,but still..)That´s looks a bit strange to me.
jarireinikka

Postby Ulli » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:39 pm

On the vinyls on the Box Set, there is mentioned that Jerry did Polk Salad Annie, but nothing can be heard of it there. Maybe there are indeed some snaps of songs, they didn't release.
Another possibility is that they gave every chatter a 'title number' on the CD's so that we reach 39.

Anyway, on the 3 vinyls available we have only 31 titles....
Keep Rockin'
Ulli

Postby PeterC » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:44 pm

A press report at the time mentions 'She's About A Mover', 'Tell It Like It Is' and 'You Talk Too Much' (I mentioned these in "Killer!"). However I'd be very surprised if they exist, and they were probably just quick try-outs while the tapes weren't rolling.

It's never been a favourite album of mine, though I still prefer it overall to the over-rated "The Session".
PeterC

Next

Return to Albums