MERCURY - Sometimes A Memory Ain't Enough

MERCURY - Sometimes A Memory Ain't Enough

Postby Dave McKee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Sometimes A Memory Ain't Enough (1973)

Sometimes A Memory Ain´t Enough / Ride Me Down Easy / Mama´s Hands / What My Woman Can´t Do / My Cricket And Me / I´m Left, You´re Right, She´s Gone / Honky Tonk Wine / Falling To The Bottom / I Think I Need To Pray / The Morning After Baby Let Me Down / Keep Me From Blowing Away

Things were really starting to go downhill by this point. Although Jerry's voice was still good (it would get far worse within a year or two), the material was getting weaker, & for this album & I-40 Country his usual Nashville producer Jerry Kennedy was replaced by Stan Kesler whose production here made Jerry Kennedy seem like Sam Phillips! But if you can get past the production sludge there's several highlights here including Ride Me Down Easy, I'm Left, You're Right She's Gone, The Morning After Baby Let Me Down & I Think I Need To Pray. 3 out of 5

Outtakes: (See I-40 Country)

This is from an excellent blog by Peter Checksfield. See the whole blog at http://themargatemusicman.blogspot.com/ ... years.html
Dave McKee

Re: MERCURY - Sometimes A Memory Ain't Enough

Postby Henry » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:20 am

Henry

Postby Logan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:18 pm

My favorite track is Honky Tonk Wine. It's fantastic :D
Logan

Postby PeterC » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:40 pm

Logan wrote:My favorite track is Honky Tonk Wine. It's fantastic :D

Yes, probably the highlight of the album. I first heard this song (+ several more from the early 70s) via the excellent Uk only "Fan Club Choice" LP.

http://www.discogs.com/Jerry-Lee-Lewis-Fan-Club-Choice/release/2908597

PeterC

Postby tchr » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:58 pm

PeterC wrote:
Logan wrote:My favorite track is Honky Tonk Wine. It's fantastic :D

Yes, probably the highlight of the album. I first heard this song (+ several more from the early 70s) via the excellent Uk only "Fan Club Choice" LP.

http://www.discogs.com/Jerry-Lee-Lewis-Fan-Club-Choice/release/2908597

Me too :)
tchr

Postby MarkusR » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:11 pm

I think this album has some very fine ballads on it, like I THINK I NEED TO PRAY or MAMA'S HANDS. Of course, they are not the kind of country songs most fans like, but they are emotional ballads in my opinion.

Markus
MarkusR

Postby PeterC » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:26 pm

MarkusR wrote:I think this album has some very fine ballads on it, like I THINK I NEED TO PRAY or MAMA'S HANDS. Of course, they are not the kind of country songs most fans like, but they are emotional ballads in my opinion.

I think they're great songs too and Jerry sings them extremely well, but there's just too many damn musicians on this album + 'I-40 Country'. Stan Kesler makes Jerry Kennedy sound like Sam Phillips!
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:07 am

ALBUM COVER RATING: 4/5

I'm going through Jerry's albums on here and giving marks out of five for the album covers (regardless of the actual content)...

A simple but effective cover (probably better than much of the actual contents!).
PeterC

Return to Albums